Rumor: Google Maps for iOS to be released tonight

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    95% will stick with Apple maps? Who are you fooling? Millions will download and use it on day one.
  • Reply 22 of 43

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

95% will stick with Apple maps? Who are you fooling? Millions will download and use it on day one.

I'd say more than one but less than twenty thousand.

The proper question is whose approval are YOU trying to win by continuing to pretend stuff?

• Reply 23 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lerxt wrote: »

Sure, I'll download it (assuming it's free), give a once around, and then probably stick it on the last page of my apps. Does that mean it's somehow beaten Apple Maps because I was one of millions who downloaded it? I don't think so.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Funny how people forgot that the old Apple(Google) maps did NOT have turn-by-turn

You mean spoken turn-by-turn.

• "Drive 362 m then turn left onto Jeffcott St

• Drive 230 m then turn right onto Spencer St/State Route 50."

is pretty much turn-by-turn to me.

Quote:

The old map app didn't have navigation

What is "navigation"?

It gives me routes, shows me where to turn and where I am currently which is constantly updated.

• Reply 25 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Marking an old dirt trail as a public road wasn't good enough for you?

Nah, I was fine with that.

But pulling a stunt showing a 4WD owner that brought:

Food

Water

Shelter (a tent)

Lighting (a lamp)

Seating

Various other supplies

...then trying to make out that the silly bastard driving this vehicle would rely on the first version of a brand new mapping system with no other form of navigation was...questionable.

Don't you think?

• Reply 26 of 43
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I never found a very good replacement for public transit data, but otherwise, meh

TripView Sydney is the best app I have ever used. Excellent UI. Takes seconds to crunch complex data across three transport modes. I have managed to reconnect with a just missed train several times because of this app.

• Reply 27 of 43
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I could not care less.  I don't need it.

I'll stick with Apple Maps.  Thank you.

So you don't mind the GPS misreporting your position by two or three hundred metres? Personally I prefer honing in somewhat closer than just sorta within a city block or so. :)

• Reply 28 of 43
    v5v wrote: »
    So you don't mind the GPS misreporting your position by two or three hundred metres? Personally I prefer honing in somewhat closer than just sorta within a city block or so. :)

So now you're claiming the GPS HW is faulty in the iPhone and iPad that it would "misreport[...] your position by two or three hundred metres"? Do you have any proof of that?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    chris_ca wrote: »
    You mean spoken turn-by-turn.
    • "Drive 362 m then turn left onto Jeffcott St
    • Drive 230 m then turn right onto Spencer St/State Route 50."
    is pretty much turn-by-turn to me.

What is "navigation"?
    It gives me routes, shows me where to turn and where I am currently which is constantly updated.

Yes... I meant spoken turn-by-turn navigation.

Thank you for clearing that up.
  • Reply 30 of 43

Just downloaded it from the Canadian store!

• Reply 31 of 43

• Reply 32 of 43

• Reply 33 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So now you're claiming the GPS HW is faulty in the iPhone and iPad that it would "misreport[...] your position by two or three hundred metres"? Do you have any proof of that?

That's also something that a google maps app wouldn't be able to fix either. Just an odd statement 

• Reply 34 of 43
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This is a win-win for Apple.

If Google Maps is very good then iOS now has a version of Google Maps that....

- Doesn't cost Apple a single penny for all those hits accessing Google's Maps API (which Apple would have had to pay had they built their own App and accessed Google Maps API).

- Apple doesn't have to hand over any user data at all to Google (which Google wanted) since Google now has to abide by the same rules all App developers do (and the same restrictions).

- Makes Apple look good by doing the exact opposite what the haters/fandroids are hoping for - that Apple bans Google Maps so they can continue to call Apple "evil" and "restricted".

In short, Apple gets the same type of Maps App that Android users have without having to do any work or pay any money.

If Google Maps sucks....

- Nobody can criticize Apple for dropping them to go their own way and try to come up with something better.

- Nobody can blame Apple for how bad Maps is since they no longer write the App - Google does.

- If turn-by-turn is missing then we know who is really responsible for leaving this out, and it isn't Apple.

Apple then has an opportunity to "fix" Apple Maps to show it as a viable alternative to Google Maps.

Somebody who understands. Google bringing a map application to iOS is a win win for everybody whether the Google App sucks or is good. I promise you it will have turn - by -turn because Google's Map App would suck in comparison if it didn't. Google knows this.

Like you say, this will tell us who the real party responsible for the lack of turn - by -turn on the iPhone. If it has turn by turn, we know Google was trying to use that against Apple, but had to cave once Apple brought out its own App.

Apple and its users win regardless. Apple doesn't have to pay Google for the Turn by Turn, and it is denying Google valuable location based information.

Most people will use the default app (at least in North America), to the people who don't like Apple's Maps, they can switch. I honestly think Apple's Maps look better, and I like the integration with Yelp. 

• Reply 35 of 43
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Funny how people forgot that the old Apple(Google) maps did NOT have turn-by-turn... so were the old maps really better? It depends on what you're looking for.
    The old map app didn't have navigation... but it had lots of data.
    I actually like the new Apple maps though... they've performed well for me so far. The built-in navigation works great... and it's pretty!
    But I will also download the new Google maps. They will have a lot more POIs... StreetView if you're into that... and exit numbers!
    Sorry- where in either of our posts did we say that we forgot the old maps didnt have spoken turn by turn? And how is that relevant now?

The fact is that Maps now DOES have spoken turn by turn, and that is NOW the standard. Not last years version.
    So again- if it doesn't have spoken turn by turn- its less functional and worse than the current Apple maps is- unless you're one of the people who need street view more than spoken turn by turn
  • Reply 36 of 43
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Underwhelmed. You're too late for me, Eric.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    andysol wrote: »
    Sorry- where in either of our posts did we say that we forgot the old maps didnt have spoken turn by turn? And how is that relevant now?
    The fact is that Maps now DOES have spoken turn by turn, and that is NOW the standard. Not last years version.
    So again- if it doesn't have spoken turn by turn- its less functional and worse than the current Apple maps is- unless you're one of the people who need street view more than spoken turn by turn

My bad.

Earlier you said if the new Google Maps doesn't have turn-by-turn directions... it will be worse. (maybe I didn't understand... worse than what?)

I was just channeling all the comments from a lot of people saying how bad the new Apple Maps are when they were released. The new Apple Maps had one thing going for them... they had turn-by-turn navigation. The old map app didn't.

You're absolutely correct. Now the built-in Apple Maps have turn-by-turn... and the new Google Maps has turn-by-turn too.

It's win all around.
  • Reply 38 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It can't be hardware, it has to be software. My phone (a non-S 4) showed my location correctly under iOS5, and since updating to iOS6 it doesn't anymore. My guess is that the Maps app is either misinterpreting the GPS data or misrepresenting it on the display. I don't have any other mapping apps installed to compare, but if Google does eventually offer one I'll probably install it and see if it gets it right.

"Proof?" Yes, I have proof. I know exactly where I'm standing, and what it shows on the screen ain't where I am. How's that? :) I don't understand your scepticism, since it's not like I have anything to gain by misleading you.

• Reply 39 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

That's also something that a google maps app wouldn't be able to fix either. Just an odd statement 

Actually, Google *MIGHT* be able to fix it since the problem started when I updated my iPhone to iOS6, indicating that the problem is in the software. Since the switch that introduced the problem involved switching form Google maps to Apple's, there's a possibility that a Google app might solve it. Or maybe not.

That wasn't the point though. My comment was in response to AppleSauce007's statement that (s)he's perfectly satisfied with Apple Maps. I offered a tongue-in-cheek reason that one might be inclined to explore alternatives by sharing an anecdote. There was nothing "odd" about it at all if you read it in the context of the discussion.

• Reply 40 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    v5v wrote: »
    It can't be hardware, it has to be software. My phone (a non-S 4) showed my location correctly under iOS5, and since updating to iOS6 it doesn't anymore. My guess is that the Maps app is either misinterpreting the GPS data or misrepresenting it on the display. I don't have any other mapping apps installed to compare, but if Google does eventually offer one I'll probably install it and see if it gets it right.

"Proof?" Yes, I have proof. I know exactly where I'm standing, and what it shows on the screen ain't where I am. How's that? :) I don't understand your scepticism, since it's not like I have anything to gain by misleading you.

Misinterpreting GPS data is not the same as you saying the GPS is misreporting. You are saying the GPS is the issue, not the app that needs to parse the GPS data.