Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 140
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Link to app works fine for me. When you do a search, thumb up on the result banner at the bottom for more info, including street view.
  • Reply 42 of 140

I think Apple's maps look so much better. This is without zooming btw.

• Reply 43 of 140
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    It's good. And it's very fast. And around here it's hands down more accurate. Match it Apple!
  • Reply 45 of 140

What's breaking is if Google Maps for iOS app is now released it means a major revision for Maps.app is coming.

• Reply 46 of 140

Clean UI and it works well -- impressive. 

• Reply 47 of 140

I'm actually amazed. Google used to turn out functional, but not beautiful or intuitive, apps. Along with the new Gmail app, Google is knocking it out of the park lately. Great typography, simple user interfaces, and an excellent feature set.

The Google Maps app is fantastic. Vector maps, turn by turn, sync with my search history, easy input of home and work address, public transportation directions, super fast rendering, tapping on the map to quickly determine time and distance from my current location, Street View, and more.

I was worried this would be little more than the web app - I could not have been more wrong. This is the best maps app I've ever seen or used. I actually find it much more intuitive than Apple Maps. My only gripe is that the slider to access traffic and satellite layers is a little hard to see at first (it's in the bottom right corner).

• Reply 48 of 140

At 9:55 pm on DEC 12th, Google Maps was available via the AppStore. As for the product, it%u2019s okay.
    Becareful of using the sat maps when on 4G. Really not worth the extra download, the pics are blurry and genuinely not usable as Apple%u2019s 3D tech. Those are detailed maps. This isn%u2019t the replacement for Navagone, but it%u2019s a temp option if Maps one dan can%u2019t break the cycle

Cheers !
  • Reply 49 of 140
    postulant wrote: »

But zooming in is much more fun!

• Reply 50 of 140

I'm really impressed with street-view.  It seems to have turn-by-turn navi also, but I'll have to check it out later.  Overall the app looks nice, but the new UI is extremely confusing and will need a lot of getting use to.  My only complaint is that it's a bit sluggish on my iPhone 4. Eventhough it's a nice app, I think I'll eventually switch back to Apple's native Map later when it's improved because it's easier to use.

• Reply 51 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But zooming in is much more fun!

Yeah, that looks like loads of fun... Now satellite view is another story - that looks pretty good.

• Reply 52 of 140
    postulant wrote: »
    Yeah, that looks like loads of fun... Now satellite view is another story - that looks pretty good.

And Street View too!

It's like the desktop web version of Google Maps... now on my iPhone.

I'm liking it!
  • Reply 53 of 140
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by senorgreg View Post

I'll stick with Apple Maps because I like the flyover and UI, plus I want it to improve.

That is the key, if people want it to be great, they have to keep using it to give Apple the data. 

• Reply 54 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

I'm actually amazed. Google used to turn out functional, but not beautiful or intuitive, apps. Along with the new Gmail app, Google is knocking it out of the park lately. Great typography, simple user interfaces, and an excellent feature set.

The Google Maps app is fantastic. Vector maps, turn by turn, sync with my search history, easy input of home and work address, public transportation directions, super fast rendering, tapping on the map to quickly determine time and distance from my current location, Street View, and more.

I was worried this would be little more than the web app - I could not have been more wrong. This is the best maps app I've ever seen or used. I actually find it much more intuitive than Apple Maps. My only gripe is that the slider to access traffic and satellite layers is a little hard to see at first (it's in the bottom right corner).

Let me get this straight. it just got released, so you couldn't have really tried it out yet it is amazing. Kills your credibility a little. 

• Reply 55 of 140

No longer available

• Reply 56 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And Street View too!

It's like the desktop web version of Google Maps... now on my iPhone.

I'm liking it!

Has street view been updated in your area? Mine is the same old picture from 2008 or 2009... This area has really expanded since then.

• Reply 57 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I agree, Apple's Maps do look better. 

• Reply 58 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is the key, if people want it to be great, they have to keep using it to give Apple the data. 

I think people will continue to use Apple maps... I can see people using Google maps periodically for things like transit and street view though.

For me, it's familiar, easier to use, integrated with Siri, and looks so much better.

• Reply 59 of 140
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    So right, now how do we delete Apple Maps and integrate it in the OS? I guess a JB will eventually do that.
  • Reply 60 of 140
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Google apps just make the iPhone a better device. A lot of people argue about MS Office and how a platform needs it to be successful but for me at least the Google apps are more valuable.