Australian police also warn of safety concerns with Google Maps

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS 6 Maps aren't alone in giving users poor directions in Australia: Authorities have also warned that Google Maps can recommend potentially dangerous routes.

Good report! Just in time for the release of Google Maps in the iTunes Store. image

• Reply 42 of 48
    I'd like to know the decision making process somebody would have to use, where by driving along a major road with signs telling you the major centre you are driving to is straight ahead. But, you turn off the major road into a National Park because your mapping solution ( no matter what brand ) tells you to.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    blake wrote: »
    Shouldn't common sense be used when using any technology especially mapping

¿Common sense? What's that? What does it do? How does it work? Can you eat it?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    tibor wrote: »
    Note this was reported by the ABC, a (mostly) independent news agency. The Sydney Morning Herald, on the other hand, has a strong anti-Apple bias and I will be very surprised if they run this Google error, while they jumped on the Mildura story.

Same as when the SMH jumped on the Apple Maps thing immediately that iOS6 was released. At first I thought it was funny, but not any more. The anti-Apple campaign seems to have been rather well orchestrated.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    ireland wrote: »
    Time will tell.

You should change your name to Mr. Time will tell.

Maybe his name is Mr. Time. First name Justin.
  • Reply 46 of 48

I know where this will eventually end.

To prevent issuing Darwin Awards to the 10% of the population that don't use critical thinking, in the near future Congressional and Parlimentary hearings across the world will determine a "warning" splash screen with a user confirmation element will be required on all electronic mapping software that provides navigation with text such as, "Drive safely and obey traffic rules. Watching this screen while a vehilce is in motion can lead to a serious accident. Make selections only while stopped. Some map data may be incorrect."

Be prepared.

• Reply 47 of 48

Originally Posted by silver praxis View Post

…a "warning" splash screen with a user confirmation element will be required on all electronic mapping software that provides navigation with text such as, "Drive safely and obey traffic rules. Watching this screen while a vehilce is in motion can lead to a serious accident. Make selections only while stopped. Some map data may be incorrect."

I like Australia's version better.

• Reply 48 of 48
    ...in the near future Congressional and Parlimentary hearings across the world will determine a "warning" splash screen...

Or prevent the maps app to operate if the device detects movement...