Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    This is good for consumers of course but how does Apple improve its map app now that most people will,probably be using Google's app. Though I don't like that it forces me to sign in with a gmail account. :no:

I think you grossly over estimate how much this app will be utilized. Or rather, how little Apple Maps will.

Download numbers for Google Maps will not be a reflection of the number of users eschewing Apple Maps. It's simply a number of those who have downloaded Google Maps. Why not try it out? Why not keep a backup? I have tried it (and like it) but much prefer Apple Maps so I'll continue using Apple Maps. I know that's anecdotal, but is suspect I will not alone here.

PS: you don't have to sign in. Just choose SKIP.
  • Reply 102 of 140
    Seems to available again this morning. I installed at about 7am EST
  • Reply 103 of 140
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jawporta wrote: »
    Shocking, Big Brother shut out the competition. Wait until the force everyone to use the Mac App Store.
    Looks like we have a new Big Blue. So much for this Bull Shit:

How exactly does your comment make sense? Apple green lighting Google's competing service (and a dozen others) on their App Store is shutting out the competition how?
  • Reply 104 of 140
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Finally! It's here!!! And it has driving directions working with my iPhone 4, not like the stupid Apple Maps! My iPhone 4 is working again! Thank you Google! :D

Yes.
    And finally my iPhone 4 has turn-by-turn in Portuguese... thanks to Google. :)
  • Reply 105 of 140

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Haha, cool!

Yes, "cool". Now imagine trying to get directions while on a bumpy road.

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

So right, now how do we delete Apple Maps and integrate it in the OS? I guess a JB will eventually do that.

Just delete your iPhone.

• Reply 106 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I'm sticking with Windows 3.1! FU Google!

I'm sticking with my Spectrum ZX! It had better maps! FU Google! :D

• Reply 107 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How exactly does your comment make sense? Apple green lighting Google's competing service (and a dozen others) on their App Store is shutting out the competition how?

Save your breath... just leave it at "not making sense" because the answer you receive has a high probability of making even less sense.

• Reply 108 of 140

Great news!  Glad they got it out.  Played around with it this morning and it looks really nice!  I can finally upgrade to iOS 6 now.  Hallelujah.  image

• Reply 109 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This morning on CNBC Jim Cramer was just shaking his head at the things that drive Apple and Google stock. He couldn't believe Google's stock would be up $15 pre-market because of maps on iPhone. He was dumbfounded how much these stocks don't trade on fundamentals but trade on the news of the day. One day Apple's stock is up because some analyst predicts better iPhone sales, the next day it's down because someone else claims there are supply constraints with iPad mini. And then of course you have Amazon who posts a quarterly loss and the stock goes up 6% next day. I've said it before and will say it again, anyone who thinks Apple's stock isn't manipulated is crazy.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think you grossly over estimate how much this app will be utilized. Or rather, how little Apple Maps will.
    Download numbers for Google Maps will not be a reflection of the number of users eschewing Apple Maps. It's simply a number of those who have downloaded Google Maps. Why not try it out? Why not keep a backup? I have tried it (and like it) but much prefer Apple Maps so I'll continue using Apple Maps. I know that's anecdotal, but is suspect I will not alone here.
    PS: you don't have to sign in. Just choose SKIP.
    crap, I didn't see skip. Oh we'll I'll be signing out now.

I have to laugh though when I went to the App Store to download and saw the 5 star rating. My guess is people are giving it 5 stars without having used much at all. Just because its better than Apple's app (right now).
  • Reply 111 of 140
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Haha, cool!
    LL

• Reply 112 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ecs wrote: »
    I admit my complaint about not having gmaps on iOS 6 was just because of StreetView. So, actually, I've to admit I wouldn't care about Google Maps if GoogleEarth had StreetView. For some reason I'll never understand, StreetView isn't available in GoogleEarth on iOS.

Some reason you don't understand? Have you been sleeping through the last few years?

Google offers crappy products for iOS in order to try to drive customers to use Android. It's only when Apple says 'enough is enough' and releases their own product that Google finally fixes their iOS apps.

I think it's highly likely that Google Maps will continue to be sub-standard on iOS until Apple or someone else releases something better.

gatorguy wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">This caught me a bit off-guard as I simply assumed it wouldn't be allowed. Obviously I was wrong. From TheVerge:</span>

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">"Speaking of APIs, Google is providing two options to developers of other apps. The first is a "URL Schema," where developers who want to link addresses to Google Maps instead of Apple Maps can easily do that — if users don't have Google Maps installed, the URL would direct them to the App Store. Presumably Google's other iOS apps — including Search, Gmail, and Chrome — will be updated soon to support the Maps integration. The second is a </span>
    <a href="http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.jp/2012/12/a-new-way-to-add-google-maps-to-your.html" style="color:rgb(251,72,52);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;" target="_blank">full API for third party developers</a>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;"> to integrate Google Maps fully into their app instead of using Apple's Maps."</span>

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">Here's a couple of tips too, courtesy of the same Verge article:</span>

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">"A two-finger swipe to the left will bring up a menu with toggles for traffic and satellite view (there's also a small button on the lower-right). From anywhere within the app, a shake will bring up an option to send a report to Google detailing some problem with the map or with the app itself."</span>

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760770/google-maps-iphone-available-features-navigation-transit

The fact that they're trying doesn't mean that they'll get away with it. There are plenty of examples tried to find a way to go around Apple's rules and were caught.
  • Reply 113 of 140
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Some reason you don't understand? Have you been sleeping through the last few years?

Google offers crappy products for iOS in order to try to drive customers to use Android. It's only when Apple says 'enough is enough' and releases their own product that Google finally fixes their iOS apps.

I think it's highly likely that Google Maps will continue to be sub-standard on iOS until Apple or someone else releases something better.

The fact that they're trying doesn't mean that they'll get away with it. There are plenty of examples tried to find a way to go around Apple's rules and were caught.

I might add that when Apple replaced the old Google Map apps with Apple Maps that people begin to realize Google has done so much evil to iPhone users.  

• Reply 114 of 140
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    It's obvious that Google couldn't do without all that lovely data generated by iOS users - and had to get it back no matter what. "Want some goodies, kiddies? Here we are coming to your (our) rescue!"
  • Reply 115 of 140

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd think more getting rid of the feature entirely (or not having it on by default) makes more sense. Map means mobile.

• Reply 116 of 140
    richl wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Is it? Now App Devs can decide which Map App will be opened when they put a Map button in their app. That'll create a schizophrenic experience, going to Apple Maps through App A and going to Google Maps through App B.
    https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/ios/urlscheme

The Google Maps SDK has features that aren't in the Apple SDK. People are going to get better, more functional apps as a result. That's a good thing.

What features does the Google Maps SDK have that aren't in the Apple SDK?
  • Reply 117 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Why couldn't Google just have done turn-by-turn before the fight? They ended up doing it anyway!

Btw, not available on App Store.

Google put the offer on the table.  But required Apple to license it and allow it to be branded "Nav by Google" or something similar.  The license fee Apple didn't seem to have an issue with.  They just didn't want Google being allowed to label the tech as their own, so the talks broke down.

At least that's what I get from reading various sources.

• Reply 118 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was thinking the same thing about the shake to send feedback but forgot to mention it in my post.  Whose bright idea at Google was that?  Also imagine this while walking down the street.   To easy to generate a false positive with that "feature".

• Reply 119 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

I was thinking the same thing about the shake to send feedback but forgot to mention it in my post.  Whose bright idea at Google was that?  Also imagine this while walking down the street.   To easy to generate a false positive with that "feature".

I'm pretty sure there's a threshold you have to cross in Gs felt by the accelerometers before the feature kicks in.

• Reply 120 of 140
    On My 4S, the map update seems very jumpy.

It does not seem to be interpolating/smoothing the GPS data, so the map jumps forward and backwards around the car while I drive.

Apple maps App looks better and scrolls smoother, IMHO.