New Google Maps for iOS brings vectors, transit and navigation features

Comments

• Reply 101 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yougottobekiddi View Post

Years ago I came to the conclusion that reading Appleinsider is like watching Fox News. Sooooo much bias.

On the contrary! It's just like The New York Times. Sooooo much bias.
  • Reply 102 of 154
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member

Quite a difference in satellite imagery between the two... Apple's is colorless and lacks contrast but is more accurate. Google's is out of date, showing a waterslide that was demolished 10 years ago.

image image

• Reply 103 of 154

Apple didn't write the code for Maps, Google provided the source code and apple included that in the default apps. Google was stopping from upgrades where as Android was getting all new features.

Now IOS users also can get latest features and Win-win for apple.

• Reply 104 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

You realise that the original Maps app was written by Apple, not Google, right? Google had no control to add the features found on Android.

Apple didn't write the code for Maps, Google provided the source code and apple included that in the default apps. Google was stopping from upgrades where as Android was getting all new features.

Now IOS users also can get latest features and Win-win for apple.

• Reply 105 of 154
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Ha Ha, nice try. Show me factual evidence/link showing that the location tracking in Google Maps IOS is not anonymous, otherwise stay crying in your corner.

It doesnt get more obvious than that:

1. go to youre smartphone app, log into another email account than gmail.  Send to youre gmail account something about cars, that you want to buy a particular car model, ...

2. Go on a PC, log into gmail with a web browser. look at the ads all around the page.  read the email about the cars. Look at the ads.  Reply to youreself, continu the email exchange with other car models, ...

3. Get on the phone, reply to car email and start talking about something else, like computers or tv

4. Get back to gmail on the webbrowser, read the email, look at the ads on the page. 

5. Come back a few days later, look at the ads again.

The same thing will happen with google map. Seach locations, look at the ads when using the map app on the streets or when returning to gmail.  Its a freaking joke, google is recording every single thing you do and its KEEPING it. Even if you dont log in into a google account, it will do the same thing with the IP address. And google will then try to match the IP with the IP used by one of its account, if it can match it its will merge it to its database.  Scary stuff imo.

Web searches, emails content, maps locations, IP's, ... its all recorded.  Google products and OS may appear to be free, but they come at a price, there are no free lunch.

• Reply 106 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Alright, I have tested if Apple Maps is better in China than Google Maps. It isn't. Here is my test. In Apple Maps in the middle of China there is a small lake right above the word CHINA. The lake is called Qinghai Lake. To the right of the lake there is a city called Xining. If you zoom in, the lake will disappear (another bug) and the city, well, there is just the name of the city! No streets, no nothing! Try this on Google Maps. There are streets and everything there. The same for every other city around. Apple Maps is empty in the middle of China. Apple maps being better in China than Google Maps is just a myth! Apple Maps sucks in China! See for yourself!

Mmm...  With Apple Maps on my iPad, I show:

I left it zoomed out because zooming in further removes the City name as it considers it a distraction.

So, I suspect your characterization of Apple Maps vs Google maps in China as being a myth... is just a myth!

You know, you don't get anywhere by lobbing softballs in the strike zone!

• Reply 107 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I left it zoomed out because zooming in further removes the City name as it considers it a distraction.

So, I suspect your characterization of Apple Maps vs Google maps in China as being a myth... is just a myth!

That's the satellite view! Of course there are streets in the satellite image! I was talking about MAPS! Put the maps and show me the streets!
  • Reply 108 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The same thing will happen with google map. Seach locations, look at the ads when using the map app on the streets or when returning to gmail.  Its a freaking joke, google is recording every single thing you do and its KEEPING it.

So we've gone from "is" tracking to "will" track. Still reaching there I see. Google clearly states that its location reporting in IOS maps is used to determine speed  to improve traffic reporting, no user specific data. including start location or end location are sent to google servers. If you somehow believe that Google is recording this information and using it to target search results, when they explicitly said they do not, then there's very little anyone can do to pluck you out of whatever paranoid world you're living in.

Sheesh.

• Reply 109 of 154
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Ha Ha, nice try. Show me factual evidence/link showing that the location tracking in Google Maps IOS is not anonymous, otherwise stay crying in your corner.

So you double-down with childish insults. Welcome to the ignore list.  Bye. 

• Reply 110 of 154
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

So we've gone from "is" tracking to "will" track. Still reaching there I see. Google clearly states that its location reporting in IOS maps is used to determine speed  to improve traffic reporting, no user specific data. including start location or end location are sent to google servers. If you somehow believe that Google is recording this information and using it to target search results, when they explicitly said they do not, then there's very little anyone can do to pluck you out of whatever paranoid world you're living in.

Sheesh.

I didnt try the recent map app we just got on iOS, but the Android smartphone its taking route information and its using it to push ads related to youre route. I dont know how its saving the information, but its doing it. Results is key here, experiment with it and watch it play out. IF Google is not recording it, how can I still received related ads weeks later...

• Reply 111 of 154

Yes, unfortunately its most common rating is 1 star - if it works, great.  If not - unlike a physical nuvi - I can't return it and there's $50 down the tubes.  

• Reply 112 of 154
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    nelsonx wrote: »

LL

That's the satellite view! Of course there are streets in the satellite image! I was talking about MAPS! Put the maps and show me the streets!

So? Report it in the "Report a Problem" section.
  • Reply 113 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So you double-down with childish insults. Welcome to the ignore list.  Bye. 

Covering your ears and shouting "la la la la" to yourself, doesn't make the truth go away. I'll miss you!.

• Reply 114 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I didnt try the recent map app we just got on iOS, but the Android smartphone its taking route information and its using it to push ads related to youre route. I dont know how its saving the information, but its doing it. Results is key here, experiment with it and watch it play out. IF Google is not recording it, how can I still received related ads weeks later...

If you searched for a location using google search whether or not you actually navigated to it using google navigation/maps, most likely the reason you are getting pushed ads is because of your search for the location.

Look, non-anonymous location a very sensitive topic with all sorts of legal ramifications, if google say their tracking is entirely anonymous (and opt in might I add) I would believe that until someone can show me any actual evidence to the contrary. 

• Reply 115 of 154

Well that is great.  I planned on spending the next two weeks in the Australian outback wilderness and was worried I might get lost.

• Reply 116 of 154
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Sheesh.

Google told the DoJ that they would respect people's requests not to allow tracking cookies, one slap on the wrist $22 million fine with a not guilty plea for deviously overriding browser settings to install tracking cookies later, and we can see just how much Google's word is worth, i.e. sweet f*ck all.

• Reply 117 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"Deceptive" tracking practices refers to the fact that the app asks you to turn on tracking right at the outset, making the user think that this is required for the programs operation at all.  Then to turn it off, first you have to know where to look, and then you have to dig six levels down to turn it off

>> IOS AD tracking, looks "deceptive" to me.

It probably doesn’t come as a shock to know that the tracking is switched on as a default in the operating system so any device you have that is running iOS 6 will already be collecting this anonymous information. It is entirely possible to remove the tracking from the device but it looks like Apple have gone out of their way to bury the disable setting where users wouldn’t think to look for it.

• Reply 118 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google told the DoJ that they would respect people's requests not to allow tracking cookies, one slap on the wrist $22 million fine with a not guilty plea for deviously overriding browser settings to install tracking cookies later, and we can see just how much Google's word is worth, i.e. sweet f*ck all.

I'm sure that was just a little mistake, just like when apple was tracking cell phone tower locations. :-)

• Reply 119 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

"Surely OP will deliver..." I can see it myself here, and won't care after the next 30 seconds anyway.

Here's a small violin it didn't work in your one trivial use case, no one ever said Google Maps was perfect, in fact Google tells you it isn't, but it's far more detailed and accuate globally than Apple Maps. 

What do my kids keep saying these days for stupidity? "Derp?"

Run along, run along... /ignore

Here you go:-

Look, according to Google there is nothing here, just bare earth:-

It's a good thing emergency services don't use Google, how would they respond to an average Joe's emergency in a street that doesn't exist:-

Here are more houses that don't exist, according to Google it's bare earth:-

...and some more:-

Lastly here's a picture taken on one of the Longhurst and Longhurst corners, note the houses where Google says there is bare earth:-

• Reply 120 of 154

Quote:

I'm sure that was just a little mistake, just like when apple was tracking cell phone tower locations. :-)

I wonder how a call routes to a phone if no-one knows where it is?