Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82

No offense but it's the Apple fans here who are insecure. Look, Apple messed up with maps (although I didn't get lose this weekend using it). Their CEO admitted it. So why can't you accept it too? It's Apple and not you that has to eat humble pie. Why can't you use Apple products happily and also laugh at them when they screw up? Ah, let me see. Are you being defensive because you're a shareholder? Well, so am I and I still laugh.

Like I wrote before, I am only surprised it took Samsung this long to make such an ad. If anything, the tardiness reflects a state of bureaucratic malaise. If I were in charge of Samsung marketing, this ad would have been out within days of release of iOS 6.

For those criticizing Samsung for not being "classy", this is a billion dollar war. Apple is not always the exemplar of class and neither is Samsung (or Google, or Microsoft) because the stakes are really high.

Samsung has nothing to do with Google Maps.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    No I don't.  I think we just have real world events that happened as reported and which a big fuss was made of because the name Apple was involved.  I don't think ASIO, the CIA, KGB, Aliens or Samsung had anything to do with it whatsoever.

The police in Mildura said

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/isolated-bad-apple-maps-directions-lead-to-desert-20121211-2b6v2.html

So what you are suggesting is that all the reported incidents were staged, including the ones who didn't need rescuing.  Furthermore, the Police didn't notice a pattern or anything to suggest the incidents were faked or linked?  The Police initially tried to contact Apple in Australia about getting the problem fixed, before they made a public statement.  Had they received a positive response, they probably never would have made a public statement and we would be none the wiser.

No, what is being suggested is that it's extremely suspicious.

For months after Apple Maps came out, there were none of these reports. Then, all of the sudden, over a one month period, there were SIX reports. For each of those reports, the individual must have:
    1. Entered 'Mildura' instead of 'Mildura city' or the street address.
    2. Not had any idea where they were going.
    3. Ignored the fact that they were entering a national park.
    4. Ignored the fact that the road ended and turned into a path.
    5. Continued on their way after the road ended.
    6. DIdn't think to turn around to go back the way they came.
    7. Got out of their cars and wandered around.
    8. Had no emergency supplies

It just doesn't seem plausible that ALL of those things happened to 6 different people in a month when there was no record of it before.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    Samsung has nothing to do with Google Maps.

Other than having Google Maps on the phones they sell, of course.
  • Reply 64 of 82

No offense but it's the Apple fans here who are insecure. Look, Apple messed up with maps (although I didn't get lose this weekend using it).

I'm still waiting for the answer to the question I asked repeatedly in the other thread.

Apple has x errors.
    Google has y errors.
    For your claim to be correct, x must be > y. So where's the evidence of that?
    Their CEO admitted it.

No, he didn't. He said that Apple customer expect "the best possible experience" and didn't receive it. I don't consider 'failure to meet perfection' to be 'messed up'.
    So why can't you accept it too?

Because it's the same lying FUD that is always thrown around about Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Other than having Google Maps on the phones they sell, of course.

This specifies Navigon as Samsung's poster shows:-

Navigon, available in the App Store so you can have exactly the same experience on iOS, it would cost less than buying and setting up a new smartphone.

Perhaps Samsung is also taking a dig at Google.

• Reply 66 of 82
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't think it was staged despite Samsung having a sign made that they put out in front of the off-road vehicle in camping gear in an area that isn't for camping? Let me repeat, THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!

They had a sign made which probably took them all of 1 hour from concept to printing. Don't forget this story broke days ago in Australia.

I don't think Samsung would actually pay multiple people to get lost in a rural area over a period of weeks.

The mapping data is clearly patchy in some places. It will improve with time. It's good they've moved to vector based technology but the system for reporting faults is pretty poor. Just crowd source the data Apple.

• Reply 67 of 82
    dunks wrote: »
    They had a sign made which probably took them all of 1 hour from concept to printing. Don't forget this story broke days ago in Australia.

I don't think Samsung would actually pay multiple people to get lost in a rural area over a period of weeks.

The mapping data is clearly patchy in some places. It will improve with time. It's good they've moved to vector based technology but the system for reporting faults is pretty poor. Just crowd source the data Apple.

Huh?! You're saying the OP was suggesting the getting lost was staged? The reference seemed to be toward this article which had Samsung's staging of the lost truck with the tent pitched and sign made. I don't care if they had thought of the idea before this incident back when "map gate" first appeared, it's still a staged scene by Samsung.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    hill60 wrote: »
    This specifies Navigon as Samsung's poster shows:-

LL

Navigon, available in the App Store so you can have exactly the same experience on iOS, it would cost less than buying and setting up a new smartphone.

Perhaps Samsung is also taking a dig at Google.

However, Google Maps is also available on Samsung. Just as on iOS, you have choices - and the choices includes Google - and I think Google is included by default.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought the sarcasm in my position was rather self-evident.

I try to remember names with their POV but sometimes mess up.

Sorry.

• Reply 70 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm still waiting for the answer to the question I asked repeatedly in the other thread.

Apple has x errors.

Google has y errors.

For your claim to be correct, x must be > y. So where's the evidence of that?

No, he didn't. He said that Apple customer expect "the best possible experience" and didn't receive it. I don't consider 'failure to meet perfection' to be 'messed up'.

Because it's the same lying FUD that is always thrown around about Apple.

"We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers" - that doesn't sound like it's just a matter of not making the best possible experience.

With your history, you will probably still want to parse the words to mean what you want them to mean. But how about this - Tim Cook told Brian Williams clearly, "We screwed up." Is that enough? Are you going to tell Cook that he shouldn't have said that?

Apple makes great products (so does Google, btw). But Apple launched Maps before it was ready and failed to call it beta. Why can't you just admit it instead of looking for loopholes in other people's words in order to claim a moral victory that doesn't exist? It's just so stupid that you won't admit something even Apple itself has taken responsibility for. It's on Apple, not you. There is no need for you to be so defensive (unless you are Forstall).

As for lying FUD, every successful company gets some of that. Do you read the crap here (including some from you) about how Google is evil and Larry Page has an ugly wife?

• Reply 71 of 82
    Well, that's the thing. Samsung isn't preening over "Samsung Maps"--there's no such thing. They really have nothing to do with Google Maps, and if Google Maps comes to iOS 6 as a free app, then how is it an advantage for Samsung?

It isn't.

Oops.
    Silly me. And here I thought Google produced android. And that android installations included Google's mapping product. I guess the fact Samsung used an equally flawed product for mapping examples doesn't matter either. I guess the standards are different for Apple the they are for Samsung.

I don't know. It seems to me when you're chastising a competitor and offering up what you call to be a better alternative, it ought to be better. In this case their alternative is equally flawed. By saying it's better when it's not, Samsung is misrepresenting the facts. I don't know about you but I think that's a problem. And not exactly honest.
  • Reply 72 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

While I'm not a fan of Samsung's products(with the exception of their TVs), their ads are pretty amusing.

I agree and that makes me a bit concerned. I think Apple needs to respond to Samsung soon or risk taking a real hit on buyers' perception just like Apple did to Microsoft. Microsoft also took the high road and tried to ignore the Apple ads. By the time they did respond, the damage was done…and whatever Apple does better be really good, really catchy.

• Reply 73 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You beat me to it. Crowing about this too early really makes them look like the unbelievable babies they are.

Or makes them look they believe in their product, which is rather positive for them, isn't it?

Disclaimer, I have both phones and I prefer the iPhone. However, I believe most people here only have one side of the story, and can't understand the other side might have some elemnts of truth. Not everyone is a thief or a liar... or delusional.

• Reply 74 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jragosta wrote: »
    in the NBC interview with Brian Williams Tim Cook said "we screwed up" when asked about maps. That's about as close to "messed up" as you can get.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    As for lying FUD, every successful company gets some of that. Do you read the crap here (including some from you) about how Google is evil and Larry Page has an ugly wife?

If it's true, it's not FUD.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Silly me. And here I thought Google produced android.

I didn't say otherwise. I am saying that Apple gets blamed for iOS Maps, but Samsung takes credit for Google Maps.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    hzchzc Posts: 63member

They print "Should have got" and they're poking fun at Apple? Amazing. Or were they seriously trying to put a colloquial twist to it?

• Reply 78 of 82

Originally Posted by hzc View Post

They print "Should have got" and they're poking fun at Apple? Amazing. Or were they seriously trying to put a colloquial twist to it?

"I've got" and "you've got" seem to have been around in speech since at least the mid-1930s. They're quite pervasive, at least where I live, in speech.

Sometime, oh, a little over a decade or so back, I got absolutely fed up with that. I don't recall any specific surge in my desire for proper grammar at the time (my writing quality remains the same before and after), but saying either of those felt wrong in my mouth. Very quickly I removed them from my use; now I can't stand seeing them anywhere.

You're right that it's quite unprofessional—and it's probably outright wrong—but it's widely used.

• Reply 79 of 82
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    hmm wrote: »

I dislike it for the same reason I disliked the various generations of Mac vs PC ads. I'd rather see products advertised on their own merits.

I agree with you, but Apple did set standard on advertising based on perceived competitors' weakness, even if some of them were anecdotal or even non-existent. That advertising is (again) perceived successful as it timelined with huge Apple's growth. It is hardly a surprise that others - especially companies that are following Apple's mantra more than the others - are trying to "better" Apple's effort in advertising as well.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    I grew up in Mildura, and now live in Melbourne, (6 hour drive away) and it was on breakfast radio here in Melbourne.
    Nothing staged about this, the police have had to help 3 or 4 travellers already.
    Mind you, you would have to be complete boffin and be acting like a slave to the app, because the Calder hwy is unbelievably well signed for Mildura because it's the only civilisation for miles!