Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Between Apple and Google, the biggest winner in the launch of Google Maps for the iPhone is probably Google, one analyst believes.

Charlie Wolf of Needham & Company characterized the return of Google Maps to iOS, in the form of a third-party application on the App Store, as a "mixed blessing" for Apple. He views the more definitive winner as Google, which launched its Maps application in more than 40 countries and 29 languages this week.

"We see the Maps app on the iPhone as a win-win for Google because the company will now be able to generate location-based advertising and other revenues from iPhone users who use the app," Wolf wrote in a note to investors on Friday.

The positive for Apple, he said, is that the availability of Google Maps ? now with the addition of turn-by-turn directions ? will help to soften some of the negative public perception surrounding iOS 6 and the iPhone 5.

"It has the potential to attract a meaningful number of new users to the iPhone who had previously shunned it," Wolf said," because of Apple's well-publicized misstep in releasing a less-than-market-ready product in the first place."

Google Maps

However, he also conceded that the launch of Google Maps on the App Store could also hurt Apple by driving users away from its own Maps application.

"Users' input is critical in improving the quality of the application, and Apple will now receive less feedback on its own Maps app what with iPhone owners flocking to Google Maps," he said.

Apple's decision to enter the mapping business has placed a new focus on mobile maps, helping to spur competition on the App Store. Most notably, Nokia entered the market with its new Here maps last month, in an attempt to make a splash after users were disappointed with Apple's Maps.

But Google Maps, which previously powered Apple's iOS Maps application before the launch of iOS 6 in September, is the market leader, and its return to the iPhone has been highly anticipated. As such, the free Google Maps has been the most downloaded application on the App Store since Wednesday, and with YouTube and Google Earth, Google now has three of the top five free iPhone applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 267
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.

One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.
  • Reply 2 of 267
    I love google maps, however I tested yesterday to go to a meeting that I have for a job and the turn by turn was good but when I got close to the destination, google maps thought that it was in a corner the final destination when in fact was the next corner down and a right. It got me close but not exactly where I was suppose to go. I called the guy and he told me the route to take. I don't know how apple maps will perform but I assume that can be the same result or worse.
  • Reply 3 of 267
    Google maps turn by turn directions are terrible. I used them last night, and luckily I already knew where I was going, but Google maps had me doing U turns, and all kinds of crazy things.

Apple maps may not have the place-of-interest catalog of google, or the quality traffic data and good display of that data... but the app is easier to use, more intuitive and the turn by turn is FAR better.
  • Reply 4 of 267
    I disagree with Mister Wolf. I'm not sure if this was the main purpose, but I think that Apple developing his own map application made Google finally brings to IOS the best version of google maps, something they would have not done otherwise to focus on Android OS. Apple purpose on IOS, by my point of view, never has been to propose Apps that are better that any other : this would be a bad strategy, making developers think they would never be able to make a better app that Apple does.
    Instead, what Apple needs is that most user enjoy IOS experience because it is rich, safe and functional.
    IOS is an excellent OS, it just needed to have the BEST map app to stay on the top, and they finally have this trough Google maps. They had to spend a lot of money with maps to get this done, but money investment is not a real problem for Apple, as soon as this investment keeps IOS as the leader.
  • Reply 5 of 267
    I haven't used Google maps yet, but what I have been using of late is Waze. It worked great every time I have used it so far. Fun little app, and you can't beat the price.
  • Reply 6 of 267
    t2000tjt wrote: »
    Google maps turn by turn directions are terrible. I used them last night, and luckily I already knew where I was going, but Google maps had me doing U turns, and all kinds of crazy things.
    Apple maps may not have the place-of-interest catalog of google, or the quality traffic data and good display of that data... but the app is easier to use, more intuitive and the turn by turn is FAR better.

Agreed. Google directions in Australia are shocking. It's good to see they have finally entered some previously missing roads but it still directs you down one way roads the wrong way or to drive straight through a dead end. Apple maps are missing a lot features but none that I need so I prefer decent directions
  • Reply 7 of 267
    The option to OpenStreetMap maps is very good alternative because it is growing steadily. The iPhone and GoogleMaps are using Neocartography to obtain updated maps and filled with content firsthand by local users. Google Maker is a copy and Apple calls to improve their maps among all other. Incidentally Nokia also makes the same appeal. Now OpenStreetMaps is free and everyone. A case is substantial use in the Third World, where no economic interests, especially the humanitarian group made %u200B%u200Bits HOT. Here you have a link for most information --))
  • Reply 8 of 267
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is good for Apple. There iPhone is better now for the additional choice in mapping apps.

maclancer wrote: »
    I don't know how apple maps will perform but I assume that can be the same result or worse.

Not a good assumption to make. It might be more reasonable to say that, on average, Google Maps will be more accurate than Apple Maps at this time, but you can't assume that if Google isn't correct that Apple will also be incorrect. You can test out the directions without actually traveling anywhere with Apple Maps.
  • Reply 9 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is good for Apple. There iPhone is better now for the additional choice in mapping apps.

Not a good assumption to make. It might be more reasonable to say that, on average, Google Maps will be more accurate than Apple Maps at this time, but you can't assume that if Google isn't correct that Apple will also be incorrect. You can test out the directions without actually traveling anywhere with Apple Maps.

I agree with you 100%, great thought!

• Reply 10 of 267
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

It's good for iOS users, and that's what Apple really cares about.

To me it casts Google in a bad light; Why couldn't they offer these features to Apple before? Honestly, if THEY can make an app with turn-by-turn and vector graphics why couldn't Apple use the same data to make their own app? Seems to me Google was trying to handicap iOS.

Personally, the less of Google on any of my devices, the better I am.

• Reply 11 of 267
    Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?
  • Reply 11 of 267
    Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?
  • Reply 13 of 267
    mjtomlin wrote: »

How's that going for you? I tried the same but unfortunately all other search engines are either quite or really bad. Duckduckgo seems the best but I can set it as default on iOS. I only use my gmail now when you need an email address for something unimportant. It amazing after logging to gmail you end a with 30+ tracking cookies.
  • Reply 14 of 267
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Another analyst we've never heard of makes the headlines at AI because they said something controversial about Apple.

Trolls are spinning things negatively. How about Apple fans trying to get the word out too? The original Google maps app was a crippled, dumbed down version of the Android app, better data or not. And nothing was going to change until Apple kicked Google to the curb. Yes, Apple screwed up but the result isn't as dire as some would hope. Google desperately needs its apps and services on iOS. Some reports have indicated that Google makes more money from iOS than it does on its own Android. And the result is a new, much better Google maps app. There is a very symbiotic relationship between these two and I wish they would just kiss and make up.

Personally I will keep using the Apple maps app because of this nonsense from Google. Fortunately Apple has the money and market power to take action like they did, unlike the 90's when they had to kowtow to Microsoft to keep Office on the Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 267
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It's good for iOS users, and that's what Apple really cares about.

To me it casts Google in a bad light; Why couldn't they offer these features to Apple before? Honestly, if THEY can make an app with turn-by-turn and vector graphics why couldn't Apple use the same data to make their own app? Seems to me Google was trying to handicap iOS.

It could possibly have something to do with licensing restrictions. Google uses data from sources other than their own who may not allow repackaging of their map data for a turn-by-turn application to be built by a third party. For Google to offer it as their own and under their name fine. For them to sell it to a 3rd-party Apple for use in TBT, perhaps not. It certainly plausible that Google couldn't supply TBT data for an Apple-branded routing app without negotiating extended licenses from their providers. . . if those providers were even willing and/or reasonably priced. IMO TomTom would be a likely example of a provider that wouldn't allow Google to resell their data to Apple for a navigation application.

My personal guess is that's the likely reason a new contract offering turn-by-turn couldn't be agreed on. After all does anyone know of any application for any platform or standalone PND using Google Maps for TBT outside of Google themselves? As well-regarded as Google Maps generally are, and with Google trying to be as pervasive as they can I find that odd. The most simple explanation is that they can't redistribute their maps for that purpose..

There's a lot of unknowns, so I've no idea how anyone here can say with certainty who's to blame (or thankimage) for Google going it's own way with a nav app for iOS.

• Reply 16 of 267
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I cannot believe that the vast amount of people that buy an iPhone buy it to use the Map app and there were people holding off purchasing one until Google maps hit iOS 6.
  • Reply 17 of 267

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.

• Reply 18 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I cannot believe that the vast amount of people that buy an iPhone buy it to use the Map app and there were people holding off purchasing one until Google maps hit iOS 6.

I agree on purchases, but there were 3 people in my immediate office (not a tech savvy bunch and watch too much news) that held off upgrading to iOS 6 on their 4/4S until this came out. Seems silly to me, but to each their own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

At the end of the day Google doesn't really care about features here or there based on platform, they want data and ad revenue regardless of where it comes from. (Still shows iOS more valuable) The Android world was miffed when Google launched the new Search app on iOS which is very much like Google Now on 4.1+, but as usual they miss the point. Bloomberg discussed last night that Apple wasn't paying much to Google for Maps and youtube and in fact the potential for advertising within it's standalone apps is likely greater than than the licensing they were getting. So in the end everyone wins, Google makes its money, the consumer gets choice and a better product, and Apple is free from relying on Google or paying them.

• Reply 19 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

At 71% global market share, android does not need the minor competitive edge that the real google maps app gives. They've already won. They're an ad company that makes money on volume. To that end, it's not even a contest.

• Reply 20 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I agree on purchases, but there were 3 people in my immediate office (not a tech savvy bunch and watch too much news) that held off upgrading to iOS 6 on their 4/4S until this came out. Seems silly to me, but to each their own.

At the end of the day Google doesn't really care about features here or there based on platform, they want data and ad revenue regardless of where it comes from. (Still shows iOS more valuable) The Android world was miffed when Google launched the new Search app on iOS which is very much like Google Now on 4.1+, but as usual they miss the point. Bloomberg discussed last night that Apple wasn't paying much to Google for Maps and youtube and in fact the potential for advertising within it's standalone apps is likely greater than than the licensing they were getting. So in the end everyone wins, Google makes its money, the consumer gets choice and a better product, and Apple is free from relying on Google or paying them.

It is nothing like Google Now. You clearly have no idea what Google Now is. That app for iOS is the exact same Google voice search all that's been out forever on all android devices. Google now serves a completely different function entirely.