Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple

Comments

• Reply 61 of 267
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The real truth is Google Maps is prone of errors too. I had two quite serious problems with Maps app on iOS5 this year. So Google Maps app is just the better of two evils.
  • Reply 62 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So the entirety of the Samsung Galaxy series has outsold a device that only launched 3 months ago (and only yesterday in China)? Why is that is unexpected or noteworthy to you?

He/she is diverting the maps issue and hijacking the thread.

• Reply 63 of 267
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Sounds like poor privacy protection on Apple's front.

If I leave a window open and you climb inside and nick my stuff, that is still burglary - even if I left the window open.

What Google did was break the trust of their users.

Unforgivable

• Reply 64 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverInDoubt View Post

This shuts up the Apple map complainers. While the vast majority of iOS users will still use Apple maps.

Win-win for who?

Yes...there are going to be many people who won't download google map because the default map app is good enough or they have little need for a map app in the first place.  I have downloaded Google map but I am still using apple map app because it is good enough.

I don't understand the analyst's logic.  From google's perspective, the best scenario is for Apple to have never kicked Google map out.  The worst scenario is for Apple to replace Google Map with a killer map app.  Both scenarios didn't materialise.  But under current circumstances, how can Google be better off in any sense compared to Apple not removing Google map in IOS6?

If Apple continues to improve on its map app leaps and bounds then going forward there will be less and less iphone users needing to download Google Map, unless Google Map keeps improving its functionality and publicize hard.  Under these scenario, IOS users win.

Now I really hope that Apple enters into search business too.  Why not? They have lots of cash and search business is profitable.  And why not, hurt Google in their own backyard and see who has the last laugh.  By then, chances are Google will just 'gift' the whole Android OS to Samsung and return to their search business.

• Reply 65 of 267
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Soli, nearly every tech blogger I've seen comments from has indicated that Google Maps is their recommended nav app over Apple's own so I think it's really the other way around. The editors at Ars, TheVerge, Techcrunch and Engadget all write that Google Maps for iOS outshines Apple's efforts so far. Even the typically Apple-friendly bloggers have the same opinion. For example MG Siegler said:

[...]

You're right, I misspoke.
  • Reply 66 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

He/she is diverting the maps issue and hijacking the thread.

It's funny I thought the same thing but the other way around. Others made this about an Android/iPhone argument, not I. I am making it worse so I need to be done. I'm a firm believer of to each his own and more competition is always good for the consumer. I've read this website everyday for a decade now. I just get angry with people always needing for it to be their way and only their way is right. Drives me nuts.

• Reply 67 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

I think you should look again youtube is the top app and google maps is not even on the charts.

Huh? Unless I'm missing something...as of this moment:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/free-apps/

• Reply 68 of 267
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Sounds like poor privacy protection on Apple's front.
    Sounds like your evading the subject.
    And your wrong by the way: you cannot protect against (Googles) social engineering.

J.
  • Reply 69 of 267

Quote:

Does this sound transparent:

"According to the FTC, Google told Safari users that their browser was automatically set up to block third party “cookies” —small pieces of data used to track online activity— so users had no need to opt into more restrictive privacy settings.  However, Google allegedly circumvented Safari’s default settings and used these “cookies” to map users’ preferences and generate targeted advertisements. The FTC claims that this misrepresentation violated the Google Buzz decree and warranted a substantial civil penalty."

I would say that in a way, it still does.  What Google was going for was to add a +1 to the ads that they were already serving to the users.  If that's all Google was doing and the cookies were accidentally generated (as Google claims), then I see this more as fearmongering than anything.  The +1 feature is hardly invading anyone's privacy.

• Reply 70 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I would say that in a way, it still does.  What Google was going for was to add a +1 to the ads that they were already serving to the users.  If that's all Google was doing and the cookies were accidentally generated (as Google claims), then I see this more as fearmongering than anything.  The +1 feature is hardly invading anyone's privacy.

As long as you believe Google. Obviously a $22.5 million penalty says that there was at least some mistrust in Google's claims.

To me saying one thing and then doing another is not transparency.

I believe that saying Google accidentally does anything is foolish... unless one also believes that Google is completely incompetent.

• Reply 71 of 267
    I say again, Google allows for the opt out of tracking cookies among other opt outs. And as AsianBob pointed out, they are very transparent about what they do and don't do with the collected information. Google maintained that tracking was improper coding and was unintentional. But, who knows about that.
    Google is also help by the fact Android Phans are stupid and gullible and believe excuses like "improper coding and was unintentional" without looking at how it was done and could easily tell it was intentional and that googles whole purpose on desktop and mobile/android is tracking people to sell to advertisers. Opting out is merely a switch... that does nothing
  • Reply 72 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So the entirety of the Samsung Galaxy series has outsold a device that only launched 3 months ago (and only today in China)? Why is that is unexpected or noteworthy to you?

The Apple maps situation was a fairly big deal in the media. Also lets face it Steve Jobs would have never allowed Google maps back on the iPhone this is an admission from Apple that their maps were awful.

Now I know this forum consists of people outside of the US but when CNN and Foxnews both give an App time on their national news I find that to be a big deal. I also find it interesting when a topic doesn't support Apple this forum expands the topic. Quadra posts are a perfect example of that expantion to try and deflect from the core topic.

Apple has looked weak lately. Having several major releases back in October (I believe it was October) and then not being able to launch the iMac for months. The Apple Store now gives a ship date of Jan for the 27" iMac. Stock could very well drop under 500.00 when a few months ago their was talk of it going to 1000.00.

As of late Apple has not had a good stretch the only positive in the last few months at least perception wise was the iPad Mini. People can disagree this is simply my opinion. I am not saying Apple is Doomed or anything of that nature, just commenting that their have been some issues of late, when you are on top as I have stated before the media loves to pull you back down. Again just my opinion.

• Reply 73 of 267
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Keep puffing up share numbers by spreading around garbage - much of which doesn't even qualify as a "smartphone" while masquerading as one in the measurements. 

This "doesn't even count as a smartphone" BS needs to stop. It's used by the worst fanboys on both sides of the divide.

• Reply 74 of 267

Quote:

As long as you believe Google. Obviously a $22.5 million says that there was at least some mistrust in Google's claims.

To me saying one thing and then doing another is not transparency.

And I'm glad there everyone settled on a fine instead of dragging this out in court, wasting taxpayers time.  The thing is that without a proper trial, all we have is allegations.  Maybe in a full trial it would have been proven that the cookies were inadvertantly generated.

I'm not going to claim that Google is 100% transparent (as these incidents show).  However, compared to many other companies out there, Google's is a lot more transparent.  Just the fact that there's a whole Dashboard that lets me see what they've collected and lets me limit what they collect puts it ahead of a lot of others in my book.

We have gotten way off track from the thread topic, so this'll be my last word on this.

• Reply 75 of 267
    wisely wrote: »

Yes...there are going to be many people who won't download google map because the default map app is good enough or they have little need for a map app in the first place.  I have downloaded Google map but I am still using apple map app because it is good enough.

I don't understand the analyst's logic.  From google's perspective, the best scenario is for Apple to have never kicked Google map out.  The worst scenario is for Apple to replace Google Map with a killer map app.  Both scenarios didn't materialise.  But under current circumstances, how can Google be better off in any sense compared to Apple not removing Google map in IOS6?

If Apple continues to improve on its map app leaps and bounds then going forward there will be less and less iphone users needing to download Google Map, unless Google Map keeps improving its functionality and publicize hard.  Under these scenario, IOS users win.

Now I really hope that Apple enters into search business too.  Why not? They have lots of cash and search business is profitable.  And why not, hurt Google in their own backyard and see who has the last laugh.  By then, chances are Google will just 'gift' the whole Android OS to Samsung and return to their search business.

And, if I may add: opt out of the default enabled 'report my data to Google' if you have to use Gmaps; it's kind of hidden under 'About, terms & privacy' (select head icon -> gear icon)
    No need to enhance the service.

J.
  • Reply 76 of 267
    andre bee wrote: »
    I like the google maps app. Actually its 10 times better than before. So it was the right move from apple to throw them off the system.
    Now we have a much better app.

My opinion is that apple should realize that they can not do everything. One key success for the future is to partner with specific companies. Even if its google. When they have the best content for maps then go ahead apple and license it. 

Put me in the CEO position and I would stop apple's own mapping ambitions and start working on products and services again which make the apple eco system the best in the world.

It absolutely makes no sense to build up an own mapping solution when everybody is happy with google maps.
    Thank God you are not their CEO!!!! Apple builds thier own to maintain a minimum standard. The reason Googles mobile data was better was because of the massive IOS source data they had from users who actually use their phones, alot. I work pushed Microsoft to finally update office on the Mac, and they will have to continue to hold Googles feet to the fire. If you are going to have a competitor supply an important part of your platform you have to make sure the don't hold you back to keep you at a competitive disadvantage. This is precisely what Google was doing with maps.
  • Reply 77 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple has looked weak lately. Having several major releases back in October (I believe it was October) and then not being able to launch the iMac for months. The Apple Store now gives a ship date of Jan for the 27" iMac. Stock could very well drop under 500.00 when a few months ago their was talk of it going to 1000.00.

Missteps, sure, there have been a few. The Maps apology was the biggest one in my mind... the firings "at this time" being the next... not Maps in and of itself but the introduction was far from smooth.

If you didn't realize it, AAPL is heavily manipulated... I'm guessing by the hedge funds.

... and, yes, the stock will probably drop below $500 before the end of the month, death cross and all... but January's iPad and iPhone figures will easily propel Apple to a record quarter... then AAPL will slowly rise to above $700.

Next year should be interesting for Apple. I believe it is a make or break year.

• Reply 78 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

Google is also help by the fact Android Phans are stupid and gullible and believe excuses like "improper coding and was unintentional" without looking at how it was done and could easily tell it was intentional and that googles whole purpose on desktop and mobile/android is tracking people to sell to advertisers. Opting out is merely a switch... that does nothing

If that were true, then what makes you believe that other companies aren't doing the same thing with the "switch that does nothing"?

I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but so far, I haven't seen anything bad come of the data Google collects on my browsing habits.  Maybe some better targeted ads based on what I've recently searched, but nothing more.

• Reply 79 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.
    And Time magazine named iPhone 5 the top gadget of the year. What's your point?
  • Reply 80 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And Time magazine named iPhone 5 the top gadget of the year. What's your point?

Obfuscation.