iPhone 5 to come with free Lightning to micro USB adapter in China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When the iPhone 5 launches in China on Friday, Apple will reportedly be including a gratis Lightning to USB adapter as part of the handset's included accessories, a $19 value-added bonus that was formerly restricted to countries in the European Union.

iPhone 5 micro USB
Source: Sina Tech

Sina Tech was able to get their hands on the Chinese version of Apple's iPhone 5 a full two days early, reports M.I.C. Gadget (via TUAW), and found the newly-redesigned smartphone to come packaged with a micro USB dongle initially built for the EU market.

Apple first released the adapter when it began eurozone shipments to fulfill a European Commission regulation mandating all smartphones sold in the region be micro USB compatible. In November, the peripheral made its way North America, but is being sold separately as a $19 accessory.

According to the "In the Box" section of Apple's Chinese iPhone 5 specifications webpage, the unit comes with the same accessories as U.S. models, suggesting that the inclusion of the adapter was a last-minute decision.

iPhone 5 Specs
Apple's Chinese iPhone 5 webpage does not mention the inclusion of a Lightning to micro USB adapter. | Source: Apple

The iPhone 5 is scheduled to see release in China on Friday and as of Monday, Apple's largest partner carrier in the country China Unicom announced that it has racked up over 300,000 preorders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I live in Denmark and we didn't get the adapter. Don't know of any EU country that does but who knows.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Maybe is this is a new option in recent shipments?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I think AI are a bit confused. As far as I am aware, no European iPhones come with this included free of charge.

What was the situation, was that when this Apple 'Lightning to microUSB' adaptor first appeared for sale, it was ONLY being sold in European Apple Stores, not Apple stores in other world wide markets (US, Canada, Australia, etc, etc).

That was certainly the case, although by the sound of this article, that may have also changed. It sounds like (form this AI article) this ataptor is now also sold in the US market, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop of Southwark View Post

I think AI are a bit confused. As far as I am aware, no European iPhones come with this included free of charge.

What was the situation, was that when this Apple 'Lightning to microUSB' adaptor first appeared for sale, it was ONLY being sold in European Apple Stores, not Apple stores in other world wide markets (US, Canada, Australia, etc, etc).

That was certainly the case, although by the sound of this article, that may have also changed. It sounds like (form this AI article) this ataptor is now also sold in the US market, etc.

No AI are correct although they haven't been particularly clear. The USB adapter was initially only available in EU countries, due to the fact that manufacturers have to offer USB charging options for their phones sold within the EU. It wasn't however included free with the iPhone, you had to purchase it separately.

• Reply 5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

No AI are correct although they haven't been particularly clear. The USB adapter was initially only available in EU countries, due to the fact that manufacturers have to offer USB charging options for their phones sold within the EU. It wasn't however included free with the iPhone, you had to purchase it separately.

Firstly, I'm convinced the wording of this story has been slightly changed since it was first published. I think it was even more outright wrong before - it was not clearly then either, but if considered, it was clearly wrong before.

However, what I said was 'confused', and I  think that still applies.

And I do still think the story is wrong:

"a $19 value-added bonus that was formerly restricted to countries in the European Union".

That implies the value added bonus was previously available to EU, it wasn't, the part that comprises thisv bonus was, but (as) a value added bonus.

Then later in the article:

"Apple first released the adapter when it began eurozone shipments to fulfill a European Commission regulation mandating all smartphones sold in the region be micro USB compatible. In November, the peripheral made its way North America, but is being sold separately as a $19 accessory."

Again, the second sentence implies that it is/was included free of charge in the EU.

• Reply 6 of 7
    scartart wrote: »

Firstly, I'm convinced the wording of this story has been slightly changed since it was first published. I think it was even more outright wrong before - it was not clearly then either, but if considered, it was clearly wrong before.

However, what I said was 'confused', and I  think that still applies.

And I do still think the story is wrong:

"a $19 value-added bonus that was formerly restricted to countries in the European Union".
    That implies the value added bonus was previously available to EU, it wasn't, the part that comprises thisv bonus was, but (as) a value added bonus.

Then later in the article:
    "Apple first released the adapter when it began eurozone shipments to fulfill a European Commission regulation mandating all smartphones sold in the region be micro USB compatible. In November, the peripheral made its way North America, but is being sold separately as a $19 accessory."

Again, the second sentence implies that it is/was included free of charge in the EU.

Exellent post, Bishop of Southwark. Over here in The Netherlands it wasn't included.