Google Maps downloaded 10M times in first 48 hours on iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The eagerly awaited debut of a standalone Google Maps application for iOS was quickly embraced by users, who downloaded the software more than 10 million times in the first two days.

The achievement was announced by Jeff Huber, senior vice president of Commerce & Local at Google, announced on his Google+ account on Monday. He also encouraged users to share their feedback, especially within the application, which users can do by shaking their iPhone.

"We're excited for the positive reception of Google Maps for iPhone around the world," he said. "Congratulations to the Maps Team on the recognition for the passion and hard work they poured into it, for this release and over the last 7+ years."

Google Maps for iOS launched last week on the App Store, and is designed for the iPhone and iPod touch. Though it runs on the iPad, a version of the application designed for the larger displays of the iPad lineup is said to be forthcoming.

As of Monday, Google Maps remains the No. 1 most popular free application on the iOS App Store. It is followed by Google's YouTube as the No. 4 most popular download.

Google Maps

With the launch of iOS 6 in September, Apple decided to abandon both Google Maps and YouTube as native applications built-in to its mobile operating system. While YouTube was removed completely, Apple replaced Google Maps data with its own proprietary mapping service in the native Maps application in iOS 6.

The changes were made as a result of a growing rivalry between Apple and Google, as the two compete in the smartphone market with Google's Android the most popular mobile operating system.

Market watchers feel that the release of Google Maps for iOS has its pros and cons for Apple. On the plus side, users now have a plethora of competitive mapping options on the platform. But the negative public perception surrounding Apple's iOS 6 Maps has also been a detriment to the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Is that all? ;)
  • Reply 2 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am one of the 10 million downloaders and the app is tucked away on my last page in case Apple Maps or TomTom doesn't seem to be working, or I need to use Street View. I suspect I'll use once every 3 to 6 months.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I am one of them but I deleted it right away once I found out what an ad-filled, evil, PoS it was.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I also am one of the downloaders. After trying it out on two short trips while comparing Apple's App at the same time, but on a different phone, I decided the App needs work and I prefer my Apple Maps App and Navigon. Specifically, it forgets sometimes to tell you to turn. Further, it fails to effectively autocorrect routes on the fly. In addition, it isn't super easy to figure out how to use. Apple's build in maps didn't suffer the same issues. Moreover, I really like telling Siri to give me directions. 

In my view the press is raving over the Google Map App, but the praise is over blown. Further, people were downloading the app and giving it 5 stars without even trying it out. 

• Reply 5 of 75

Quote:

The achievement was announced by Jeff Huber, senior vice president of Commerce & Local at Google, announced on his Google+ account on Monday. 

Announced on Google+? I'm surprised anyone heard about it.

• Reply 6 of 75

Funny to see people on this site bash Google Maps in favor of Apple's. They both have pros and cons, but no denying Google has a far more extensive database of locations. 

• Reply 7 of 75

In January or February I'd like to see a poll of iPhone 4S and 5 users to see how many times people use the app.

• Reply 8 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »
    Apple's build in maps didn't suffer the same issues. Moreover, I really like telling Siri to give me directions.

That is the most common reason I now use Apple Maps over TomTom. It's just so easy to ask for a route; no jumping through a dozen screens and manually typing in a location. It only takes a minute or so to complete but Siri only takes a few seconds to make the request.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am one of the 10 million downloaders and the app is tucked away on my last page in case Apple Maps or TomTom doesn't seem to be working, or I need to use Street View. I suspect I'll use once every 3 to 6 months.

Ditto.

Don't get too excited Google. You have mapping competition now, and it may not be so easy in the future to withhold features...

• Reply 10 of 75
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Funny to see people on this site bash Google Maps in favor of Apple's. They both have pros and cons, but no denying Google has a far more extensive database of locations. 

Kind of surprising after several years, you think?

• Reply 11 of 75
    I did not download the map because I don't need it.
    It will soon disappear from all iOS devices.
    10 million is a small percentage IOS users, But Google is now tracking everything that these users do.
    Talk about Invasion of privacy...
  • Reply 12 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I also am one of the downloaders. After trying it out on two short trips while comparing Apple's App at the same time, but on a different phone, I decided the App needs work and I prefer my Apple Maps App and Navigon. Specifically, it forgets sometimes to tell you to turn. Further, it fails to effectively autocorrect routes on the fly. In addition, it isn't super easy to figure out how to use. Apple's build in maps didn't suffer the same issues. Moreover, I really like telling Siri to give me directions. 

In my view the press is raving over the Google Map App, but the praise is over blown. Further, people were downloading the app and giving it 5 stars without even trying it out. 

I think it's really deceptive the way they say it only collects "anonymous" data when in fact it's tracking every single thing you do and everywhere you go and linking it to your Google plus account.  You can refuse to sign in, and then presumably the tracking will revert back to being, if not entirely anonymous, at least "sort of" anonymous.  But it's almost impossible to use the app without signing in, it nags you constantly to sign in, and if you don't sign in, you don't get all the features of the app.  

Given how much hassle Apple got over it's (actually, truly, really) anonymous tracking of users a while ago, I find it shocking in the extreme that Google has come out with this horrible evil PoS and not a single person is taking them to task for it.  Talk about your double-standards.  

This app is everything Apple was being criticised over previously, but all the little tech-boy bloggers are giving it glowing reviews anyhow.  I know it's getting 10/10 on some sites, but how can an app that treats a users privacy so cavalierly ever be more than a 5/10?  It's arguable which mapping app is more accurate, but it's plainly obvious that only Apple is looking out for your safety and privacy.  

• Reply 13 of 75
    I'm sure that Google maps will prove to be one of the most popular (if not THE most popular app on the app store) for quite some time. That said, I think most iPhone users will be fine with the stock apple maps.
    10 million downloads out of 400 million iOS devices is small. Even if that number climbs to 100 million downloads, it still won't make up the majority of iOS users. And many of those downloads will be used maybe once or twice and then put into a folder in case Apple maps doesn't work for a specific location but won't be used as the primary mapping app.

Apple benefits in that the most vocal critics now have something they will be satisfied with, while the vast majority of map users will still use Apple maps and improve it. It may never completely surpass Google maps, but as long as it continues to improve and catch up, Apple will be better off.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    I wonder what percentage this would be of the iOS6 user base?

(Fair warning - these numbers could be completely wrong...)

According to Wikipedia, Apple sold 250M iPhones through June 2012. Last I heard, at least 60% of the iPhone traffic was on iOS6, so lets call that 150M iPhones with iOS6.

So I guess we would call that about 7% of the iPhones with iOS6 have installed Google Maps?

Certainly not the "Map Apocalypse" some people are worried about...

I spent the last two weeks on a road trip using Apple's turn by turn directions, and it worked great. I'm not going to bother with Google maps unless I want Street View...
  • Reply 15 of 75

I'm going to stick with Apple Maps. I just dislike all things "Google" Sorry. :)

• Reply 16 of 75
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Tried to run it. It wanted me to set up an account. Stopped using it at that very moment.

I could live with ads, but having to create an account is just too much of a pain and God only knows what happens once you create that account.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm going to stick with Apple Maps. I just dislike all things "Google" Sorry. :)

I don't think I could ever trust Google (evil empire) and try to use their services as little as possible. Like SolipsismX, I've got the Google Maps app relegated to the last page of apps on my phone and I have literally only used it once on the day or day after it was released. Apple's Maps app will continue to improve and it'll be interesting to revisit this in 1 or 2 years time.

• Reply 18 of 75

I am one of the 10 M.  Tried it on a quick trip this weekend.  The mapping itself is fine but it sucked at finding a specific location. For example, looking for a place to eat, typed in the name and it sucked at trying to figure out how to get there.  Closed it, opened Siri and she found what I wanted and took me there easily vua stock maps.

Not saying Google's maps suck, it's a fine looking app and I'll keep it.  But the integration wasn't really great to me.

• Reply 19 of 75
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I downloaded Google Maps. It's still pretty much essential if you live in London.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Well, they're counting me in the 10 mil. I just wanted to see what the big deal was about. Doubt I'll use it.