Dell exec warned Microsoft that Windows RT branding would confuse consumers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78

I wasn't confused. It is an MS product, and created under Ballmer. Nothing confusing about that. 

• Reply 42 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer, however, disagreed with Clarke, and argued that the Windows branding was too important not to be used in Microsoft's product.

Because Windows is Microsoft's most successful product, not because it makes any sense from a product standpoint. They're naively trying to use Windows' success to create a "halo effect" for their other products.  Won't work.  To most people "Windows" means "that crappy XP downgrade they put on all the PCs at work."  Not exactly halo-ish.

Microsoft is so focused on Windows that they changed their corporate logo to include the 4 colored squares from the Windows logo.  They claim the blue represents Windows, the red represents Office, the green represents Xbox, and the yellow represents something else (Bing maybe?)  But who are they kidding?  Those are the same 4 colors that have been in the Windows logo since 1992.

Ultimately, a product's brand name isn't what makes it succeed or fail.  If it's great, people will buy it and make it a success.  If it sucks, people will avoid it and it will fail.  iPhone would have succeeded even if it were called "Mac Phone."  iPad would have succeeded even if it were called "Mac Pad." Slate with Windows RT and Slate with Windows 8 Pro?  Not looking good. 

• Reply 43 of 78
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ballmer really needs to be let go.

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 44 of 78
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

the RT is misbegotten. it will flop, bad. Zune 2.

MS could and should unify its ARM tablet, phone, and XBox OS all with the same consistent "Modern" UI. and totally leave out the legacy Windows UI crap they don't really use much anyway. that would be a well-defined ecosystem that would all reinforce each other and carve out some meaningful share of the overall markets.

while its desktop OS and Intel tablet would eschew the Modern UI totally and simply offer a touch UI optimized update of Windows 7. that would have been a consistent product for those who prefer using touch, especially for laptops. it would have been quite popular i think.

but instead MS has jammed everything together into Windows 8, and the result is a confusing mess. another flop.

this stupidity could only be driven by marketing BS hype as the primiary strategy, instead of prioritizing user satisfaction.

and we all know who is responsbile for that.

• Reply 45 of 78

And all tech discussion aside, I'm sorry, but Microsoft lost me before this tablet even came out, when I found out what "RT" stood for: Nothing.

Ballmer fights to get Microsoft branding on this thing, but forgets to do the end of the name as well.

Champion.

• Reply 46 of 78

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Fixed that for you.

Ballmer being CEO is the best thing that has happened to Apple in a long time.

I can only hope that there is an equivalently stupid person at Google just waiting to take the throne.

• Reply 47 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can only hope that there is an equivalently stupid person at Google just waiting to take the throne.

Someone with real schmidt-for-brains, you reckon?

A great man once said that for Apple to win Microsoft didn't have to lose.

However, when he quoted this, I don't think he took into consideration how much more enjoyable than fireworks that would be to watch.

• Reply 48 of 78

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

A great man once said that for Apple to win Microsoft didn't have to lose.

However, when he quoted this, I don't think he took into consideration how much more enjoyable than fireworks that would be to watch.

It's interesting that while Apple still isn't "winning", Microsoft certainly is losing; there's just nothing but Apple to fill the gap.

• Reply 49 of 78
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"Someone" from Dell, not even the CEO, seems to be smarter than the top guy at Microsoft. How can the MS Board not get the big picture...

That is because Microsoft only knows how to produce what they want you to have and what they think you need while Apple produces what consumers want (exceptions excluded).

• Reply 50 of 78
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    I'm wondering why this is any different from Windows CE?
  • Reply 51 of 78

Uhhh, what are they talking about? It is very clear by watching the Microsoft Surface commercial where people are dancing, flipping and clicking keyboards what the Surface RT can and can't do. I mean, how much more dancing do you need?

• Reply 52 of 78

How can you go wrong when you make the operating system look exactly the same on all their devices but the software only works on some of them. Apple needs to learn from Microsoft that the everyday person is actually a computer engineer and start making more complex stuff like this. The RT suffix on the Surface Tablet makes it so obvious.

• Reply 53 of 78
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    I have run windows xp, windows 7 on the desktop as well as linux. I have also run Mac OS and have ipads/iphones. I have also done system admin for major websites using GUI and line commands for windows 2000, 2003 and Linux. I've tried both windows 8 and RT. After 5 minutes on each gave up completely. Biggest fail ever by Microsoft.

If Microsoft wants to stay in the game they better bail on windows 8 and keep selling windows 7 for a long time until they un-Vista windows 8.

This Ballmer screw up is the biggest tailwind for Apple. Expect bigger iMac numbers and laptops from apple once they start shipping as the defection away from the Wintel platform continues thanks to this blunder.
  • Reply 54 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.  What's the point of having Windows "running everywhere" if it doesn't look like Windows, act like Windows?  

1- Windows "runs"?

2- If it crashes, it acts like Windows. I trust MS to make this dream a sad reality.

3- Looks like Windows. Sounds like something I don't want to see, my eyes are precious.

• Reply 55 of 78
    undefined
  • Reply 56 of 78
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    "The company began expanding availability of the Surface beyond its own retail stores just last week in an effort to boost sales and exposure." - and to boost returns and the number of angry customers! How many ways can you spell fail other than "Microsoft"?
  • Reply 57 of 78
    clemynx wrote: »
    I think the naming is a good idea. Bad for the consumer, but good in the long term. It's meant so that people begin to understand that windows can run everywhere and people will be able to do the same stuff everywhere, even if it's not the case yet.
    I'm sorry! Are we reading the same article and the same reviews of this pig! The point is that it IS NOT WINDOWS since it doesn't run Windows apps!!!!!
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Windows RT =
    Retard Trap
    ReturnToday
    Retarded Terminology
    Rejected Tech
    Repurposed Turd
  • Reply 59 of 78
    What crap in Windows RT are you referring to?
    Obviously, the pig Win RT itself.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    So people are going to try install and run a Windows app that's not available through the Windows store? Is that what you're saying people are going to try and do?
    Do people really want to install OS X apps on their iPads? No?
    Then why do people not seem to comprehend the reasoning behind RT? Its a tablet OS that shares certain usability features with Windows 8.
    Then why are so many people returning them that they had to revise the return policy? Duh!!!