Apple seeds iOS 6.1 beta 4, plus new Apple TV and Xcode betas to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday supplied its developer community with fresh betas of iOS 6.1, Xcode 4.6, and Apple TV software.

iOS 6.1 beta 4 is now available to developers as an over-the-air update. The pre-release update, identified as build 10B5126b, can be accessed in the Settings application by those already running iOS 6.1 beta software.

The latest beta version of iOS 6.1 is said to contain bug fixes and improvements. It is not finalized and is not available to the public.

In addition, Xcode 4.6 Preview 4 and Apple TV software update beta 3 were also supplied to developers on Monday. In addition to Software Update, they can also be accessed from Apple's developer website.

The latest release of iOS 6.1 comes two weeks after the third beta was supplied to developers, labeled as 10B5117b. That update prompted users to enter security questions for iCloud once their device boots up, while earlier betas of iOS 6.1 added the ability to purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri.

The first two betas of iOS 6.1 also featured an enhanced Map Kit framework that will allow developers to search for map-based addresses in points of interest. In one example provided to developers, users could search the term "coffee," and the system would return the location of local coffee bars along with information about each one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    What is in the new AppleTV update? I'm still having to get up and reset home sharing on my Mini about half the time I try and stream something from my library to my TV. Really want that fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I have issues with my AppleTV and iTunes. The AppleTV is unable to connect to iTunes after the computer has gone to sleep and been woken. I have to share the computer's screen and manually restart iTunes to get the AppleTV to successfully connect. I'd love to have that fixed.

• Reply 3 of 18

Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

I have issues with my AppleTV and iTunes. The AppleTV is unable to connect to iTunes after the computer has gone to sleep and been woken. I have to share the computer's screen and manually restart iTunes to get the AppleTV to successfully connect. I'd love to have that fixed.

Weird. What Apple TV? What OS and what iTunes?

• Reply 4 of 18
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

hopefully it will fix the annoying bug where half the apple TV features don't work if you use ethernet instead of wifi

• Reply 5 of 18

I use hard wired Ethernet and have no issues. What are the issues you are referring to?

• Reply 6 of 18
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mine is the last 10.x iTunes, 10.8.1 OS X.  I was waiting out iTunes 11 bugs that got reported as soon as it got released and 10.8.2 didn't have anything related to the ATV.  ATV is 2nd gen 720p unit.  It was doing this before either iTunes 11 or 10.8.2 came out.

• Reply 7 of 18

Lots of peeps with the disconnect issues. I had it for a long while as well. Many ideas on potential causes and fixes.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2808065?start=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ATV disconnects fixed by changing to Never Sleep under Settings
  • Reply 9 of 18
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Lots of peeps with the disconnect issues. I had it for a long while as well. Many ideas on potential causes and fixes.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2808065?start=0&tstart=0

Indeed.  I use Apple TV as my only media source and it's been having major glitchy wi-fi problems for the last few versions at least.  I don't know what's wrong but not only aren't they fixing it, iTunes 11 made it far worse.  Now, if I'm watching Apple TV in the living room and my computer falls asleep in the bedroom, the entire Apple TV feed just drops and the TV goes black instantly.  

As far as I'm aware, that's a new bug with iTunes 11 though.  

Someday, far in the future, the things they told us about sync and Wi-fi and persistence of signal with the introduction of iOS 4 will actually work and be real things instead of just some story that Apple tells you.  Someday, you will be able to have your mail on all of your devices and it will all keep in sync also.  I wouldn't hold your breath though.  

• Reply 10 of 18

This should be required reading for anyone considering the future of TV:

All I Want for Christmas Is My Apple TV

• Reply 11 of 18

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Jeremy Allaire, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Brightcove

Very interesting read (and some neat/weird product mockups), but aside from broadcast the existing Apple TV already covers all three of his main points.

a two-pronged strategy:

Why?

A new companion device for TV that starts at $149,

Why does it need to cost more?

A new family of ultra-thin TV monitors… …a market worth hundreds of billions annually, albeit with slightly slower replacement cycles of four years versus two years for smartphones and tablets.

So… ARE there margins or aren't there?

And no, TVs are definitely not a four year cycle, and I don't think tablets are really a two year cycle, either.

To accomplish this, Apple has likely created a new API for interacting with the IP-based cable broadcast infrastructure that providers such as Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and Time Warner Cable have been moving to for a number of years.

And how can anything that just falls into the old system be worthy of the Apple name?

This whole thing is great, you know, it pulls together all the ideas people have had. But why does any of it require a television to do? None of it does. They're acting like the apps would be on the television; what's the point there? AirPlay, since they already force the use of iDevices as remotes. Meaning it can already be done with the simple Apple TV box.

And why the heck would it have Lightning?! That's nonsense. "one for power, one for a coax cable"?! No controllers with hardware buttons, no spinning disk hard drives, no wheel; my stars.

• Reply 12 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Jeremy Allaire, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Brightcove

Very interesting read (and some neat/weird product mockups), but aside from broadcast the existing Apple TV already covers all three of his main points.

a two-pronged strategy:

Why?

Because the current approach isn't working!

A new companion device for TV that starts at $149,

Why does it need to cost more?

Because it will do more -- better CPU, GPU, more RAM, More SSD...

A new family of ultra-thin TV monitors… …a market worth hundreds of billions annually, albeit with slightly slower replacement cycles of four years versus two years for smartphones and tablets.

So… ARE there margins or aren't there?  And no, TVs are definitely not a four year cycle, and I don't think tablets are really a two year cycle, either.

The key word here is "monitors"  these are displays not TV sets.  The smarts are in the Apple TV.  I think Apple can sell high quality displays at a lower cost and higher profit than they can sell TVs.  IDK the replacement cycle for this new approach... but iPads seem to be 2-3 years (hand-me-down cycle).  The iPad 1 was released in 2010 -- many people have upgraded to a 2, 3, 4 or Mini!

To accomplish this, Apple has likely created a new API for interacting with the IP-based cable broadcast infrastructure that providers such as Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and Time Warner Cable have been moving to for a number of years.

And how can anything that just falls into the old system be worthy of the Apple name?

This whole thing is great, you know, it pulls together all the ideas people have had. But why does any of it require a television to do? None of it does. They're acting like the apps would be on the television; what's the point there? AirPlay, since they already force the use of iDevices as remotes. Meaning it can already be done with the simple Apple TV box.

And why the heck would it have Lightning?! That's nonsense. "one for power, one for a coax cable"?! No controllers with hardware buttons, no spinning disk hard drives, no wheel; my stars.

It isn't worthy of the Apple name -- the New Apple TV will work with existing TVs and STBs -- all you need to start in to buy a new AppleTV.

No, it does not require a TV to do -- just a large monitor... but if you already have a TV, you don't need to immediately buy a large monitor (unless you want something that requires a new monitor -- like 4K content, high-end games...).

• Reply 13 of 18
    I was able to resolve most of my AppleTV 'computer disconnected' issues by having the computer I have iTunes on and the two AppleTV's on be on all the time. I believe its an issue with sleep and network connectivity. I have a dedicated MacMini setup as a 'server' with iTunes on it serving up media for the AppleTV's.
  • Reply 14 of 18

I'm getting really annoyed at all the bugs in Apple's products lately. It's definitely getting worse. I think they need to put new features on hold for a bit and concentrate on getting existing products working properly.

• Reply 15 of 18
    I wonder if 6.1 will fix the wifi issues with many iPhone 5's. We have two and the wifi download speed is a fraction of what we got with our old iPhone 4's. I thought it was our routers at home and in work but thousands of posters on the Apple fourms have the same issue. Apple has ignored us up to now.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Sounds like problems on new Apple TV does anybody know when IOS 6.1 goes public.
  • Reply 17 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by azaza View Post

ATV disconnects fixed by changing to Never Sleep under Settings

Yeah I'd seen that in the Apple discussions.  It really more of a workaround than a fix.  It'd be nice to figure out what exactly is the problem and get it fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Indeed.  I use Apple TV as my only media source and it's been having major glitchy wi-fi problems for the last few versions at least.  I don't know what's wrong but not only aren't they fixing it, iTunes 11 made it far worse.  Now, if I'm watching Apple TV in the living room and my computer falls asleep in the bedroom, the entire Apple TV feed just drops and the TV goes black instantly.  

As far as I'm aware, that's a new bug with iTunes 11 though.  

Someday, far in the future, the things they told us about sync and Wi-fi and persistence of signal with the introduction of iOS 4 will actually work and be real things instead of just some story that Apple tells you.  Someday, you will be able to have your mail on all of your devices and it will all keep in sync also.  I wouldn't hold your breath though.  

Yeah this is very annoying.  As best as I can tell, the AppleTV downloads the movie from iTunes when you start watching.  Usually the whole movie copies before too long into the movie.  Without any active network traffic the computer figures it can go to sleep and does.  At some point the AppleTV tries to contact iTunes, which isn't there anymore and bombs you out of your movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All the latest.  OS 10.8.2, latest AppleTV, and iTunes 11.01, but this issue has been around for quite a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

I use hard wired Ethernet and have no issues. What are the issues you are referring to?

I use wired ethernet as well.  Doesn't seem to make a difference Wifi or wired.

• Reply 18 of 18

On another note, Xcode is really moving along.  The changes to LLDB in 4.6 are really nice.  It is great seeing Apple push C, Obj-C, and C++ to have more modern features.