Apple may partner with Foursquare to enhance iOS Maps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly in preliminary talks with Foursquare to integrate some of the location-based social network's date into iOS Maps, with the move purportedly in response to offerings from rival services like Google Maps.

Maps Location

According to The Wall Street Journal, people with knowledge of the talks say Apple is looking to use local data provided by Foursquare Labs in a bid to enhance the iOS Maps app.

The sources say Apple Senior Vice President of Online Services Eddy Cue met with the popular social service "in recent weeks," but failed to detail exactly what was discussed or when the meetings took place.

Although only speculation, Foursquare could provide Apple with a number of business listings, relative popularity and user-generated tips to help enhance the iOS Maps experience. Integration with the social service may also allow iPhone and iPad users to "check in" at various locations, letting friends know where they are around town. Currently, iOS limits such location-based discovery features to Apple's Find My Friends and Foursquare's app.

It was reported in June that Apple was working to integrate Yelp reviews and listings, a feature that has already made its way to the Maps app.

Since its release with iOS 6, Apple's mapping solution has been criticized for its lack of features, most noticeable when compared to Google's established service which once powered the iOS app, as well as incorrect location information and a number of glitches.

Cue is said to be "racing" to improve Maps after taking control of the project when former iOS chief Scott Forstall was ousted from the company in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    That's Nice... but Google already appears to have solved the ([I]Apple created[/I]) 'iOS Maps experience' issues many were having. - Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Try before you buy?
  • Reply 3 of 24

I don't think it is in the best long term interest for Apple or its users to depend on Google for anything.

• Reply 4 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

I don't think it is in the best long term interest for Apple or its users to depend on Google for anything.

Depending on Foursquare isn't a winner either.

• Reply 5 of 24
    If Apple is doing anything with them it will likely be one or both of two things

1. Integrating Foursquare accounts the same way as twitter and Facebook

2. Using the poi database to enhance/fix current info

Putting checkins in the maps app or such is unlikely.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    tbsteph wrote: »

It certainly is as long as Google remains the most widely used search engine, maps, e-mail and on-line video sharing service provider existent.

For many of us, the availabilty of Google Maps for iOS 6 solves most (if not all) of our previous issues with Apple's own maps/navigation offering.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Well maybe it is IOS 7 but 4 square does not seem like a good integration to IOS maps
  • Reply 8 of 24
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    daharder wrote: »
    For many of us, the availabilty of Google Maps for iOS 6 solves most (if not all) of our previous issues with Apple's own maps/navigation offering.

Yes, I can see how that would work for you - since your biggest issue with Apple products seems to be your incessant hatred of anything Apple does.
  • Reply 9 of 24

Pretty happy with Foursquare checkins and the easy manner on which it allows for tips or comments about local businesses.  

There will likely never be a single source of point of interest data that everyone leverages so having multiple options like Yelp 

and FS cannot hurt. 

• Reply 10 of 24
    I think it is a great idea. Even Google has many annoying outdated POI's such as bank branches that were closed 5 years ago. The check-in information will no doubt make the data more accurate.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I disagree. Its a great idea to use services like Foursquare and Yelp. This puts less pressure on Apple to collect, aggregate, update, and check information. Foursquare and Yelp gathers their information from users of the service.

On the opposite side of that Google attempts to gather their own information and compete directly against everyone else.
  • Reply 12 of 24

Everyone has this all wrong.

Let's examine what the two companies do:

What is the name of one of the parties here? Foursquare.

What is Apple's business all about? Rounded rectangles.

Figure it out and ... groan.

(And yes, I know foursquare is a game.)

• Reply 13 of 24
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

It certainly is as long as Google remains the most widely used search engine, maps, e-mail and on-line video sharing service provider existent.

What sort of issues did you face when using Apple Maps?

• Reply 14 of 24
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It's great to add those services, but I don't see how can that be truly called integration when you switch to the app after asking for more info. All the Yelp and Foursquare data should be seamlessly available in maps.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Fairly useless idea really since Apple is loosing customers hand over fist outside the US to Android, Foursquare wont address this.
  • Reply 16 of 24

I understand how Apple can feel vulnerable to Google's maps, as they are so well established, feature-rich and the most accurate. I don't envy anyone trying to make Apple's maps a better alternative - especially given Google's Street View as well. But I see no alternative, Apple will have to soldier-on and provide an alternative that is useful to a degree - if only to keep on Google's heels in developing the iOS version.  

• Reply 17 of 24
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

This won't actually solve the problems that Apple maps currently faces however.  It's demonstrably true that in the USA Apple maps are (roughly) as accurate as Google maps, it's outside of the USA that they fail miserably and lack even the most basic data.  

How does integrating a small San Francisco hipster network that's already fading into obscurity going to improve the accuracy of Apple maps in Canada or France or Korea or .... 

This "integration" will only give us an ever so slightly longer list of restaurants and movie house locations in North America.  

Big f*cking deal.  

• Reply 18 of 24

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Fairly useless idea really since Apple is loosing customers hand over fist outside the US to Android…

[citation needed, but cannot be provided, because it's just wrong]

• Reply 19 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

What sort of issues did you face when using Apple Maps?

He had trouble actually finding things to bash Apple about. That didn't stop him, he just repeated things others had said as though they were new. But, he always buys 9 of every Apple product released.

• Reply 20 of 24

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, he always buys 9 of every Apple product released.

Which would be all well and good for Apple's numbers and would be the end of the story, but he does the same with all tech products, it seems. image