How to revive a PowerBook battery?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

I have a 1998 (Wall Street) PowerBook whose battery (the slot-in module, not the PRAM) will no longer hold a charge. I was told that there is a way of restoring the battery via some key combination so that it will hold a charge again.

Does anyone know what it is, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Look into "Apple Battery Reset Â*-Â* 2.0"

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=300&db=mac"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=300&db=mac</a>;

It is supposed to be for "For PowerBook G3 Series and iBook", does that include Lombard? I never can remember.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks, I never knew this site existed. I haven't found my answer yet, but it does look like the right place to find one.

Thanks again (...and of course, if anyone does have an answer, I'd still like to hear...)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Apple has a battery zapping software that resets the battery. However, if you frequently use your battery it is entirely poosible that it's toast, like any rechargeable that's been charged too many times.

If apple's battery reset software doesn't work, you can buy a new/used battery from pbparts.com

You might also try shift/function/control/power to reset your powermanager. Hold them down for half a second or so.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: alanwoollcombe ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

I did download Apple Battery reset 2.0 and, curiously, it half-worked: after recharging the battery overnight, the PowerBook ran happily on battery power for about 5 minutes, before coming up with the usual warning message about no power left.

Now I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

Thanks again.