AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AppleInsider today is pleased to announce its first mobile application for Apple's iOS platform: the AppleInsider app for iPhone and iPod touch, available as a free download exclusively from the App Store.

Download the official AppleInsider iPhone App

The official AppleInsider iPhone app is a culmination of efforts between the AppleInsider editorial staff and the award-winning designers and developers over at New York-based Crafted Creative Inc. We're extremely proud of this first-release effort on the App Store and will be working closely with Crafted in the coming months to help drive the future of our mobile initiative.

Among the key features baked into this first release are a full multi-touch interface with quick article swiping; easy one-touch sharing of AppleInsider content via email, text message, and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter; full-screen imagery; custom text sizing; and most importantly: Push Notification functionality to give readers instant updates on the most critical breaking Apple news.

And don't worry, we're not looking to constantly bug you. Push notifications from the app will be sent out sparingly and will be limited only to stories that matter the most to our readers. Examples include:
  • Official Apple announcements, including the latest press releases or public comments by the company.
  • iOS and OS X software updates, so you know when to start downloading and updating.
  • Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.
  • Noteworthy hires or departures, such as changes to Apple's executive lineup or high-profile personnel that may come to the company.
  • Major lawsuit updates, including significant developments in Apple's ongoing litigation with rivals like Samsung and Motorola.
With that said ? and keeping in mind today's iPhone app release sets a foundation for many advancements to come ? we welcome your feedback at [email protected] and encourage you to head on over to our iPhone App Landing Page and download the free application to your iPhones and iPod touches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    Finally!!! I've been waiting for this for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    Cool... Nice job!

However...

"Major lawsuit updates, including significant developments in Apple's ongoing litigation with rivals like Samsung and Motorola."

Just give verdicts on this topic. To give news stories relating to such issues would be worse than spam as it seems there is always something happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 3 of 78

OMG ME TOO YESSS!!!!

• Reply 4 of 78
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Posting from the app!!! Very cool. Thanks AI
  • Reply 5 of 78
    This is great and I'm glad you made an article to promote it and let members comments on it without polluting other threads, but why not also create an article when you do major changes to the site and forum?

I guess when it rains it pours because the mobile web version is pretty great.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

And the iPad version will be coming...?

• Reply 7 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change the pull-to-refresh to the standard iOS 6 Apple one, as seen in the Tumblr app, Deliveries and Mail. It's a far, far nicer pull-to-refresh UX:

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/17988/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/17989/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/17990/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 8 of 78
    No Android version?

(sarcasm)
  • Reply 9 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, a lot of sites now have an app. This is nice. But to be truthful, I've found these apps to have limited usefulness. As long as you use it for special purposes, such as following up on the notifications, they're great. But a problem I've noted is that as with the idea of TC channels each being presenters as separate apps, it quickly becomes messy.

So having a handful is ok, but having a dozen, or more, becomes unwieldy. So you must be very selective. A problem ensues when you tap a link. Then what? Well, normally, the browser opens up, and you're back there again. So unless you stay within the site in the app, it's not much more than a gateway back to the browser. I don't know how this can be avoided. So this one seems pretty well behaved.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And the iPad version will be coming...?
    +++ This
  • Reply 11 of 78

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…why not also create an article when you do major changes to the site and forum?

Well, they have the Feedback threads for each.

• Reply 12 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no need to refresh the app upon every launch. It's very annoying. Give the app a 10 minute timer, so if I haven't launched it in 10 minutes, then refresh. Or no auto-refresh at all. But definitely not the current situation of reloading Every. Single. Time.
  • Reply 13 of 78

Article said:

"Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times"

By this, you don't mean Digitimes right?

• Reply 14 of 78
    What about the forums / comments? This appears just to near the web app..
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Finally
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Well, they have the Feedback threads for each.

Do most people go to the main forum page? I know I don't. I do know that when the forum and the site changed it's look and feel people were posting in every thread about the change. There was never an official article stating the change and ay new features or benefits. That's water under the bridge because they are doing it now with this app.
  • Reply 17 of 78

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Article said:

"Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times"

By this, you don't mean Digitimes right?

I think you bolded the wrong part, yeah? 

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do know that when the forum and the site changed it's look and feel people were posting in every thread about the change. There was never an official article stating the change and ay new features or benefits. 

Right, right; when they posted everywhere I just moved all those posts to the two threads set up for the topics.  Then I had them in my signature for a good long while, but I don't think anyone ever used those links after that (of course the complaining also had died down by then). Ah, well.

• Reply 18 of 78
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Any chance of a paid for version so that I can get rid of the annoying ads?

• Reply 19 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

Finally!!! I've been waiting for this for a while.

Heh.  My first thought was "why would *anyone* want this?"  image

• Reply 20 of 78
    Examples include:
    <ul><li><strong>Official Apple announcements</strong>, including the latest press releases or public comments by the company.
    <li><strong>iOS and OS X software updates</strong>, so you know when to start downloading and updating.
    <li><strong>Major scoops and rumors</strong>, both from <em>AppleInsider</em> and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as <em>The Wall Street Journal</em> and <em>The New York Times</em>.
    <li><strong>Noteworthy hires or departures</strong>, such as changes to Apple's executive lineup or high-profile personnel that may come to the company.
    <li><strong>Major lawsuit updates</strong>, including significant developments in Apple's ongoing litigation with rivals like Samsung and Motorola.</ul>

So basically every thing.

Pity you haven't set it so we can say which categories we care about. Then, for example, the lawsuit whiners can 'off' that group and never see the articles, get notifications etc.