Apple releases iOS 6.0.2 for iPhone 5, iPad mini with Wi-Fi bug fix

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released iOS 6.0.2, a minor update specifically tailored for the new iPhone 5 and iPad mini that addresses a bug related to Wi-Fi.

Users can download the update through the iOS Settings application by selecting "General," and then "Software Update." It can also be installed through iTunes on a Mac or PC.

According to Apple, the update "fixes a bug that could impact Wi-Fi." No other details were given on the update.

iOS 6

The last iOS update, version 6.0.1, was released on Nov. 1. It addressed a screen glitch that would appear with the onscreen keyboard, as well as an issue that would cause the camera flash to not go off.

Apple is also testing the next major update to its iOS platform in the form of iOS 6.1 The fourth pre-release beta of iOS 6.1 was supplied to Apple's developer community on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    Can't update over WiFi."Unable to Check for Update". Other reports that the update using iTunes works, but Apple servers must not yet allow the update over WiFi. Of course there's something amiss about using WiFi to apply an update that is supposed to fix a WiFi problem.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    For the life of me I can't find what the WiFi fix is. I went to [URL=http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222[/URL] but nothing special there; it's a generic security patch webpage. Anyone know? I can't get onto WiFi at work, and it's an old issue (2 years perhaps)
  • Reply 3 of 62
    cinemagic wrote: »
    Of course there's something amiss about using WiFi to apply an update that is supposed to fix a WiFi problem.

Good one!
  • Reply 4 of 62
    cinemagic wrote: »
    Can't update over WiFi."Unable to Check for Update". Other reports that the update using iTunes works, but Apple servers must not yet allow the update over WiFi. Of course there's something amiss about using WiFi to apply an update that is supposed to fix a WiFi problem.

Same here.

edit: It looks like they just didn't have the Delta Update ready on the server. Should be working for all now.

• Reply 5 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Same here.

Maybe that's the bug it fixes.

• Reply 6 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Go the same error message.

Updated through iTunes successfully instead.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Maybe that's the bug it fixes.

I'd think that would be a bug that falls under the updater, not WiFi.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Downloading the update through iTunes. I hope it resolves the issue I'm having -- sometimes I'll be connected to my home WiFi network (or any WiFi network for that matter) and I won't have any internet connectivity. I disable WiFi and get on LTE/4G and it works fine.

Don't have any WiFi issues with my MacBook Air, just the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    I applied the update successfully over wifi on 3rd try.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    I added the update to my iPhone5 and iPad-mini over wifi. No Problems
  • Reply 11 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Anybody know why so many Apple products have wifi issues?

This seems to happen on a regular basis.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Worked fine on my iPhone 5 (Updated via the phone).

Anyone having battery drain issues on the 5?
    I've got a 5 as my personal phone, and a 4S as my company phone. If I put the 5 in flight mode overnight, it's fine, if I leave it connected to the network, I loose about 25-30% battery in 8 hours. The 4S, however, is fine (looses about 10%). I've rebuilt the phone, mail is on manual sync, etc, but it's still chewing battery overnight. Both phones are on the same mobile network, which is Telecom XT (New Zealand) which is a 3G only network (No 2G).
  • Reply 13 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »

I haven't seen Apple's products have more WiFi issues than other vendors. Anecdotally I'd say they have much less issues. I'd wager that people simply don't understand where the issues reside. How often do you here about a person complaining about WiFI issues that doesn't see fit to note what attempts at resolving the issues or any details about the wireless router, it's 802.11 specification being used, the channel in use, other base stations with overlapping channels in the area, how far away from the base it resides, how many devices are connected to it, etc.? I just don't think people understand wireless tech well enough and expect it to work as seamlessly as plugging in an ethernet cable.
  • Reply 14 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Anybody know why so many Android products have issues that never get fixed?

• Reply 15 of 62

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Anybody know why so many Android products have issues that never get fixed?

Not worth wasting money on a product that has a three month lifespan.

• Reply 16 of 62
    I'm afraid to update because what if it messes up my already working wifi
  • Reply 17 of 62

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

I'm afraid to update because what if it messes up my already working wifi

That's like saying you're afraid to get brand new tires put on your car because your tires are fine.

• Reply 18 of 62
    Well it's happened before to me. Also it says my software is up to date[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/18028/width/200/height/400[/IMG] even though its not
  • Reply 19 of 62
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Well i hope it fixes something.

I went to sleep the other night, first thing in the morning i check my iPhone 5, i got a notification that i (apparently) downloaded 20GB while i was asleep.

my months phone bill is $1600, i managed to talk to the phone company & have the eccess fees waved, My guess is that this was a telco bug but this is the second time, so im hoping it wasnt a iPhone wifi issue, that caused people that thought they were on wifi to use 3G & LTE instead.

• Reply 20 of 62
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    philboogie wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't find what the WiFi fix is. I went to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 but nothing special there; it's a generic security patch webpage. Anyone know? I can't get onto WiFi at work, and it's an old issue (2 years perhaps)

About a month after I got the iPhone five, no Wi-Fi network ever connected with the strength more than one bar. It was tough to tell for sure, but I eventually determined that it actually was having trouble connecting to networks in general, not just a strength display issue.

I took it into the Apple store and they had me do a full reset with new firmware, not just a Erase all content and settings reset. That fix the problem for about a month, until about a week ago when it started happening again.

I just installed the update, but I haven't been able to connect to Wi-Fi network sense to test whether it is working. Once I get home I will hopefully find that it shows full signal strength for once.

Edit: just got home and lookie there, full wifi bars for the first time on any wifi network in a month. So, optimistically considering that problem solved.