Apple releases iOS 6.0.2 for iPhone 5, iPad mini with Wi-Fi bug fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Downloaded this on iphone 5 found wifi running slower than G3 or HPSA at 1.34 megb diwnload. Far from solving things it is now worse. Tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. with no luck on these alternate DNS
  • Reply 22 of 62
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by revupvideo View Post

Downloaded this on iphone 5 found wifi running slower than G3 or HPSA at 1.34 megb diwnload. Far from solving things it is now worse. Tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. with no luck on these alternate DNS

DNS servers don't impact raw download speed, only DNS lookup speed.  Enjoy feeding google your browsing records though ;)

• Reply 23 of 62
    Installed so far so good
  • Reply 24 of 62

I Updated to 6.0.2 on my iPhone 5 but still have WiFi problems.  I get over 10 mbps with LTE and only 1 or 2 with wifi.  On the same wireless network I get 10 + on both my MacBook Pro and iPad3.  Same problem with my wife's iPhone 4 but with no OS update.  For now I'll just use the LTE network for my iPhone until Apple fixes this.

• Reply 25 of 62
    solipsismx wrote: »
    gtr wrote: »
    Anybody know why so many Apple products have wifi issues?
    This seems to happen on a regular basis.

I haven't seen Apple's products have more WiFi issues than other vendors. Anecdotally I'd say they have much less issues. I'd wager that people simply don't understand where the issues reside. How often do you here about a person complaining about WiFI issues that doesn't see fit to note what attempts at resolving the issues or any details about the wireless router, it's 802.11 specification being used, the channel in use, other base stations with overlapping channels in the area, how far away from the base it resides, how many devices are connected to it, etc.? I just don't think people understand wireless tech well enough and expect it to work as seamlessly as plugging in an ethernet cable.
    Have to take issue with that. My 2010 MBA won't work with my 2012 router when in mixed N/A or N/B/G modes. All other computers have no issues. My iPad 3 and my iPhone 5 won't work at the restaurant nearby, but the iPad was fine before the OS6 update. There are a number of bugs with Apple products wifi; I was "subscribed" to a couple 100+ page support forum topics on the matter, one of which is 5 years old now!

Apple products generally work fine with AirPort routers, but there have been problems (circa 2008 or so?) with them as well.

If Apple would just build in compatible VPN services for their routers so you can use your iPhone/iPad/iPod with remote access to home network I would not need to go to another manufacturer's products...
  • Reply 26 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I haven't seen Apple's products have more WiFi issues than other vendors. Anecdotally I'd say they have much less issues. I'd wager that people simply don't understand where the issues reside. How often do you here about a person complaining about WiFI issues that doesn't see fit to note what attempts at resolving the issues or any details about the wireless router, it's 802.11 specification being used, the channel in use, other base stations with overlapping channels in the area, how far away from the base it resides, how many devices are connected to it, etc.? I just don't think people understand wireless tech well enough and expect it to work as seamlessly as plugging in an ethernet cable.

But doesn't that go against the whole Apple "it just works for the layman" idea?

My two first generation iPads had massive issues connecting to wireless networks barely ten feet away from them, yet the HP laptop and iPhone that I owned worked like a charm, and so did the third iPad I received from Apple as a replacement.

My second generation iPad worked brilliantly from anywhere in our apartment using a Time Capsule as did my iPhone 4S and MBA. However, as soon as I updated to the third generation iPad the wifi signal would be flutter and drop so frequently that I was forced to relocate the Time Capsule into the same bedroom where most devices would use it. All other devices (both Apple and non-Apple) worked fine.

My second MBA regularly had issues waking from sleep and reconnecting to the internet via the wifi network.

My iPhone 5 twice did the little "I refuse to connect to your wifi network" thing at home and decided to use 3G only.

I have a background in I.T., so troubleshooting these kind of problems isn't exactly foreign to me.

I'm not trashing Apple here, and I don't doubt that other vendors are probably worse, but I do have the ability to recognise a pattern when I see one and my impression, wrong though it may be, is that wifi appears to be an area that Apple could improve upon.

• Reply 27 of 62
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Have to take issue with that. My 2010 MBA won't work with my 2012 router when in mixed N/A or N/B/G modes. All other computers have no issues. My iPad 3 and my iPhone 5 won't work at the restaurant nearby, but the iPad was fine before the OS6 update. There are a number of bugs with Apple products wifi; I was "subscribed" to a couple 100+ page support forum topics on the matter, one of which is 5 years old now!
    Apple products generally work fine with AirPort routers, but there have been problems (circa 2008 or so?) with them as well.
    If Apple would just build in compatible VPN services for their routers so you can use your iPhone/iPad/iPod with remote access to home network I would not need to go to another manufacturer's products...

But doesn't that go against the whole Apple "it just works for the layman" idea?

My two first generation iPads had massive issues connecting to wireless networks barely ten feet away from them, yet the HP laptop and iPhone that I owned worked like a charm, and so did the third iPad I received from Apple as a replacement.

My second generation iPad worked brilliantly from anywhere in our apartment using a Time Capsule as did my iPhone 4S and MBA. However, as soon as I updated to the third generation iPad the wifi signal would be flutter and drop so frequently that I was forced to relocate the Time Capsule into the same bedroom where most devices would use it. All other devices (both Apple and non-Apple) worked fine.

My second MBA regularly had issues waking from sleep and reconnecting to the internet via the wifi network.

My iPhone 5 twice did the little "I refuse to connect to your wifi network" thing at home and decided to use 3G only.

I have a background in I.T., so troubleshooting these kind of problems isn't exactly foreign to me.

I'm not trashing Apple here, and I don't doubt that other vendors are probably worse, but I do have the ability to recognise a pattern when I see one and my impression, wrong though it may be, is that wifi appears to be an area that Apple could improve upon.

I'm not discounting the possibility that your devices had WiFi issues in the HW, FW, or SW but I'm merely stating that people tend to state one it's one thing without fully understanding the scope of the issue. If an iPad won't connect to WiFi but some other device will that does not mean it's the iPad's problem. It could be, but there are plenty of other factors, as previously mentioned, that need to be considered and ruled out before a claim that it's one device over another as the culprit.

I've heard about WiFi issues with every...single... Apple... product since the first released their AirPort cards. When the next OS update comes out you'll be sure to hear someone state "I hope they fixed the WiFi issues." There are surely pages upon pages on their forums about WiFi issue and their likely always will be compared to a wired connection.

As for the "It just works" mantra, that is generally true but WiFi is complex. it requires no less than 2 devices to be configured and assumes that there isn't anything to interfere with the signal yet there is absolutely no way for all that to be taken into account before hand. At least with a cable you can test delivery system first. You can see it the wires are configured correctly and if there is proper protection from interference. WiFi gets no such treatment.

Again, not saying that there aren't legitimate WiFi issues with Apple products. In fact, it highly improbable that any CE would have no issues in any product, but from what I've seen much of the rampant issues people complain about seem to be ignorance on how WiFi works and their expectations of their setup. I don't think I've ever seen a single person on a tech forum accurately and thoroughly track down their issues and eliminate all other possibilities for their WiFi issues. They will almost always just state that one device works, the other doesn't, so the culprit is with the device that isn't working.
  • Reply 28 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not discounting...

Thank you for your input and feedback.

• Reply 29 of 62
    Thank you for your input and feedback.

:)

I figure some might wonder how my last sentence could be true. Here's an actual issue I troubleshooted earlier this year. A friend — who works in IT, no less — couldn't get his iPhone to connect to his home network. It had in the past, and every now and then it would but it was becoming ever increasingly harder for it to connect. He never got an error message, it just wouldn't connect. Then it started to happen to other devices. This went on for months. I finally took a look at his setup. His DHCP was limited to a small set of IP addresses on his old Linksys WRT54G router so that when he got home from work his iPhone coming in last wasn't being given a usable IP address. Turns out he had given his password away to a neighbor who was out of work so they could use his WiFi. He never once checked his router (only restarted the router) because it was working for other devices... so he assumed the fault resided with his iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Gotcha.

Added "Kill Neighbours" to the future trouble-shooting process. ;)
  • Reply 31 of 62
    cameronj wrote: »
    Edit: just got home and lookie there, full wifi bars for the first time on any wifi network in a month. So, optimistically considering that problem solved.

Thanks for this. I'm just reluctant in resetting my network settings as it will delete all known WiFi passwords, but it looks like I should do the reset anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Is it going to available for iPod touch 5th gen? I'm refreshing the software update page in my ipod every 5mins. I want it.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Is it going to available for iPod touch 5th gen? I'm refreshing the software update page in my ipod every 5mins. I want it.

Why do you want it so much?
    Is something wrong with your iPod?
  • Reply 34 of 62

Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

Why do you want it so much?

Is something wrong with your iPod?

Yeah, something's wrong; it can't find the update, so he really wants it! image

• Reply 35 of 62
    It updated, the phone was screwed up when I tried to post earlier, does this fix the problem with using cellular data on wifi, this is the second month in a row with a text message saying you have used 65% of your data when all I have done is surfed the web on 5 sites in cellular, all else wifi. So I am now forced to wait till January to use it, till then I have the use cellular data switch off.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    This update seems to have fixed the diagonal scrolling issue. At least my iPhone 5 no longer "stalls" when I scroll quickly on a non-perfectly vertical manner.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I'm just reluctant in resetting my network settings as it will delete all known WiFi passwords, but it looks like I should do the reset anyway.

Doing this update won't affect saved passwords.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

There's a new Apple support thread concerning possible battery drain issues after this update. Anyone experiencing that for themselves?

• Reply 39 of 62
    cameronj wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Doing this update won't affect saved passwords.

Thanks, I know. But a reset will delete all passwords. Or at least, it used to. I've already applied the update, so next time I'm at my friends house where I couldn't connect anymore I'll do the reset 'mandatory'
  • Reply 40 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's a new Apple support thread concerning possible battery drain issues after this update. Anyone experiencing that for themselves?

yup. i'm having that problem… in my usage the standby time and usage time shows same for both so i guess after this update wifi is always on even on standby time when the phone is not using anything… 

i hope i'm wrong. now i'm waiting for the next update to fix this.