Australian University to distribute 11,000 iPads to students and faculty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an educational initiative set to kick off next year, the University of Western Sydney will rollout some 11,000 Apple iPads to all faculty and newly-enrolled students.

Textbooks

The iPads will be used to help facilitate a curriculum overhaul across the university's six campuses, with educators looking to offer more flexible study options and a "blended learning model," reports The Australian.

"With digital technology revolutionizing how we connect and interact with the world, university study should be no different," said UWS Pro Vice-Chancellor of Education Kerri-Lee Krause.

Krause said the iPads will be at the center of new teaching methods that combine traditional lectures with interactive programs to create a more dynamic learning experience.

"Mobile technologies will be a key part of this strategy," she said. "We want to support our academic staff to make the most of iPads and custom-designed apps in class so that, even in the largest lecture theatre, students have access to just-for-me, just-in-time interactive learning experiences."

In a race to garner the lucrative education market, Apple released iBooks Author earlier this year, which teachers can use for the creation, distribution and upkeep of textbooks and other class materials. The digital textbooks can be "marked up" with highlights and feature interactive graphics capabilities.

Market data from September illustrated that the iPad is accounting for a growing portion of U.S. educational sales, clearly outpacing Macs and PCs as students opt for more portable and flexible tablets.

The news comes after Apple extended volume app purchasing programs outside the U.S. for the first time, granting nine countries access to the program including Australia. Under the program's terms, educational institutions like UWS can buy both apps and e-books at reduced prices on purchases of 20 units or more, and content can be distributed to students, teachers, administrators, and employees.

Similar education programs leveraging the iPad have already been rolling out in the U.S., one of the largest being the San Diego Unified School District's purchase of 26,000 units in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35

Is that more than the number of Surface RT's sold?

• Reply 2 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    And Apple stock will drop another 5 points.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Wise choice, mate.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple should make durable rubberized iPad just for education.
  • Reply 5 of 35

I hope those Aussie students don't use the iMaps app to find their way to school.....else they'll find themselves 40 miles away, without food, water or cell coverage.

/s

• Reply 6 of 35

The University also plans to send its students and faculty on a field trip to Mildura as part of new study to test their survival skills.

• Reply 7 of 35
    I hope those Aussie students don't use the iMaps app to find their way to school.....else they'll find themselves 40 miles away, without food, water or cell coverage.
    /s

edit: LOL

• Reply 8 of 35
    aizmov wrote: »

I think an external case does the job quite well without the need for a special case design.
  • Reply 9 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: LOL

+1+++  

LMAO!

• Reply 10 of 35

They better make them beer-proof like they do here in Canada.

• Reply 11 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

She talks about "revolutionary" but she's still talking about using these devices in a lecture theatre.  The real challenge for university administrators like her is to figure out how institutions like hers survive post lecture theatre.

• Reply 12 of 35

What's really funny about that picture at the Sydney Opera House is that it ridicules our (American) stereotyping of Australia, while committing another stereotype, that is being so damn proud of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, that they couldn't help but make sure to put it in the picture!

Love ya mates!

PS: I did the bridge climb, and ya it was spectacular, but still, the stereotype stands.

• Reply 13 of 35
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    ascii wrote: »
    She talks about "revolutionary" but she's still talking about using these devices in a lecture theatre.  The real challenge for university administrators like her is to figure out how institutions like hers survive post lecture theatre.

They can use the lecture halls, mobile devices and PCs/Macs altogether.
  • Reply 14 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

You're just sayin' that because of the way the kids throw tablets around in the MS Surface commercials. 

Most iPad owners that feel their iPad needs protection buys the cover of their choosing. If Apple were to dictate that by making it part of the case, can you imagine the static they'd get??

In real life when someone in the college library snaps open his Surface kickstand everyone looks around to see the luser. 

• Reply 15 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

They better make them beer-proof like they do here in Canada.

...and a salute of the Fosters to you mate!

• Reply 16 of 35
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

A bit of context. Unis in Oz were dominated by Macs until about 1997 then turned to the dark side at Admin/ITS insistence. But Macs never faded completely (esp in the hard Sciences) and since about 2007 Macs have been steadily regaining their dominance (including Admin!) There's iMacs everywhere and, visibly, over half of laptop-toting students own MBPs. So giving the students iPads makes even better sense than it would in places still stuck in the horrors of Wintel land. 

• Reply 17 of 35
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

...and a salute of the Fosters to you mate!

Aussies don't drink fosters :P its not even an Australian beer anymore. 

its cool in the simpsons epp tho 

• Reply 18 of 35
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    From memory the University of Adelaide gave(?) iPads to at least part of its first year intake in 2011. I remember my nephew reporting that he had been given one, but I could be wrong though: maybe someone else will confirm or deny.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Fosters is sometimes referred to as "love on a beach"

… coz it's f*cking near water!

Coopers Sparkling Ale (bottled) and Cascade (on tap) would be my faves among Aussie beers.

• Reply 20 of 35
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Coopers rules :).