Apple updates MFi guidelines after Kickstarter project flap

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a statement on Friday, Apple noted that it has slightly changed the terms of its "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod" specifications to allow third-party manufacturers to build accessories that use the Lightning connector in conjunction with legacy 30-pin adapters, a feature prohibited in the company's original stipulations.

POP Charger
The defunct POP Station charging system. | Source: Edison Junior via Kickstarter

Apple told CNET that the MFi terms have been changed to allow third-party accessories to implement both the new Lightning connector and the older 30-pin plugs in a single product. The news comes a day after media outlets publicized the death of POP, a Kickstarter project for an all-in-one iDevice charger that was effectively killed by Apple previous licensing rules.

"Our technical specifications provide clear guidelines for developing accessories and they are available to MFi licensees for free," said Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr. "We support accessories that integrate USB and Lightning connectors, but there were technical issues that prevented accessories from integrating 30-pin and Lightning connectors so our guidelines did not allow this."

It is unclear if the change is in response to the media blitz surrounding POP's demise, but Apple's claim of having "technical issues" with the combination of interconnect protocols is questionable given that the Kickstarter project was able to build a working model that included both Lightning, 30-pin and micro-USB standards.

POP creator James Siminoff told ArsTehnica that his company was already part of the MFi program before the launch of the iPhone 5, and consequently the smaller Lightning format, and didn't expect Apple to alter the licensing stipulations. With Apple's new guidelines in place, POP was unable to acquire the necessary license which forced the cancelation of the project despite having funding from 1,000 backers totaling $139,170. As of this writing, Siminoff is not planning to resurrect POP and will issue refunds to all customers.

"If it has to be an Apple-only product, and Lightning can't be next to, say, an Android charger, then it's still not something we want to make," Siminoff said after learning of the updated guidelines. "I hope they become customer friendly. Maybe we will be able to do [the POP charger] after all."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43

So now there can be speaker docks with both Dock Connector and Lightning in them? Maybe they'll even go to the trouble of giving regular docks pop-out pieces, one with Lightning, one with Dock Connector…

• Reply 2 of 43
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    I was expecting this.
    Apple isn't unreasonable.

J.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Thanks for the update. I was wondering why.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Well it sounds like he's still not satisfied. He wants to use the certified for iPod program with other types of chargers now. I wouldn't allow that either.
  • Reply 5 of 43

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Well it sounds like he's still not satisfied. He wants to use the certified for iPod program with other types of chargers now. I wouldn't allow that either.

Wait, really?

I think that if the thing only has Apple-related connections on it, it should sure be allowed. If it's supposed to be "universal", good luck.

• Reply 6 of 43
    The way Apple behaves sometimes makes me think they have a guy whose job it is to look at everything coming out of the company and out of other companies and put a stop to anything that is "too awesome".

MAME comes out for iOS? Kill it. Universal charging adapters? Kill them. Mac App Store applications that are just slightly too useful? Kill them.

Ugh. This is the main aspect of the company that I hate and I wish they'd knock it off.
  • Reply 7 of 43

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

MAME comes out for iOS? Kill it. Universal charging adapters? Kill them. Mac App Store applications that are just slightly too useful? Kill them.

Ugh. This is the main aspect of the company that I hate and I wish they'd knock it off.

I wish people would knock off accusing Apple of things they're not doing, but hey, lifeblood for some.

• Reply 8 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    zorinlynx wrote: »
    The way Apple behaves sometimes makes me think they have a guy whose job it is to look at everything coming out of the company and out of other companies and put a stop to anything that is "too awesome".

What a steaming pile of crap, it makes me wonder why you'd waste your precious time coming to a site like this.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Meh, their working prototype from POP was based strictly on charging.. The issues were, as I understand it, with data / signal connections and transfers with multiple connector standards. Something they would not have experienced as this was a charging only solution.

Second, Apples very meticulous when it comes to specs and hardware testing. This new spec was likely in the pipes for some time.. They don't just spew, the next day, new engineering specs for a single Kickstarter project.

------
    Reasoning is as reasoning does. So what are you doing here?
  • Reply 10 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What a steaming pile of crap, it makes me wonder why you'd waste your precious time coming to a site like this.

You're right. The only thing that annoys me more than Apple's bad behavior is the fanboys that defend (and hence, enable) it.

• Reply 11 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wish people would knock off accusing Apple of things they're not doing, but hey, lifeblood for some.

- MAME being removed from iOS:

Um, they did do this. I still have it installed on my iPad, because I downloaded it before it was removed.

- Universal charging adapters:

That's what this entire post is about.

- Killing useful Mac Store apps:

http://mplayerx.org/leave-mas.html

They didn't outright remove the app, but the sandboxing restrictions meant the app would no longer be anywhere near as useful. Their complete failure to budge on the sandboxing is ridiculous.

• Reply 12 of 43
    Apple doing this makes since, but this is all needed we don't need a adapter that works with every single port manufacture by apple. Just ports that have been replaced.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    mac_128 wrote:
    I'm somewhat appalled that 3rd party products must be lightening only, and can't even incorporate Apple's legacy 30-pin dock connector. That's kind of whack.
    So essentially if a 3rd party vendor wants in, they have to manufacture separate products for each Apple connector, meaning a consumer who buys a product for their iPhone 4, will have to repurchase the device when they upgrade to an iPhone 5.
    Nuts!
    I don't get your complaint.  It's easy to get upset about this, but it's also pretty easy to see the logic behind it.  It's neither "whack" nor "nuts" IMO.  

Clearly Apple doesn't want to support the old protocol or contribute to anything that will keep it alive.  This is obviously to their advantage and to the advantage of the new protocol.  Lightings adoption speed is based at least in part, on the length of time the old cables and protocols hang around.  Remember there are over ten years worth of old accessories out there.  Supporting 30 pin moving forward would be a bad idea.  

Hey Gazoobee, this was my complaint.

Clearly Apple agreed 100% with me, and realized their policy was both "whack" and "nuts". According to you, it looks like Apple has decided to back a "bad idea".
  • Reply 14 of 43

- MAME being removed from iOS:

- Universal charging adapters:

- Killing useful Mac Store apps:

You're making up reasons for these things to have happened to put Apple in a bad light. Stop making up reasons.

MAME exists to infringe copyright, by the way. Of course it's not gonna fly.

Their complete failure to budge on the sandboxing is ridiculous.

Develop for someone else then. Obviously if it's actually ridiculous, everyone else will leave, too.

Except they won't.

• Reply 15 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Now, I'm not sure why Siminoff won't go ahead with this thing. Apple says they will support USB alongside lightning, as well as the 30-pin dock connector now.

So what exactly is the problem now? Just take the USB charger cable that came with your phone, or whatever, and plug it into a USB port. Theres ever storage for the cable! Problem solved. I'm now beginning to wonder if this guy is legit after all ... I mean what kind of chargers is he contemplating?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

[...] Their complete failure to budge on the sandboxing is ridiculous.

For me, it's actually one of the reasons I prefer iOS over Android. Admittedly I sacrifice some flexibility, but I trade that for not having to give security a second thought.

I might not be willing to make that compromise in other areas of my life, but I can't be bothered to "manage" security on my portable device when there's an OS that makes it a non-issue.

• Reply 17 of 43
    For these people, there is nothing Apple can do that is wrong. A true friend tells you when you're not in the right. These people are not true friends of Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I had read on another site that the issue was with using multiple connectors for Data. When Apple put the rule in (which BTW is still in effect for connectors that pass data) if was to avoid the Data / signaling issue with multiple connectors. This issue does not apply if you are only using it for charging. That is why they added an exception to the rule for Charge only devices.

Tallest Skil, this updated rule would still not allow for a speaker dock with both connectors. (Unless the sound came from Bluetooth or the headphone jack and the lightning/ Dock connector was charging only)
  • Reply 19 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

I was expecting this.

Apple isn't unreasonable. 

The position they originally took wasn't unreasonable either though.  This appeasement will quiet the tempers of those complaining, but in terms of the actual products, it will only delay the adoption of lightning as a standard and ensure that the average cost of lightning accessories remains higher than it would have been otherwise.  

The whiners win with this decision, and rationality and reason lose.  

• Reply 20 of 43
    A. This guy is scared of what he started and was looking for a way out. Probably relieved when he found out that he couldn't do it!

B. Apple has to be careful about this kind of thing because when some 3rd party crap charger fries an iPhone do you think the consumer is calling the knock off accessory maker or walking into an apple store.

C. Limiting to just apple chargers is called good business and good brand building. You have other choices... Excercise them!