Italian authorities fine Apple another $264K over product warranties

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    justbobf wrote: »
    Then Apple needs to state this and also explicitly say what is covered with and without AppleCare. We should not be standing behind Apple on this one.

No, consumers need to be mature and do a little work for themselves.

The only reason not to stand behind Apple in this is if someone goes to them, under this law, with something they bought from Apple that they can prove was defective when they bought it and they can prove this beyond a doubt and can prove that Apple refused to act properly.

If you are going to buy something, especially something that expense, educate yourself on your rights. Because the sellers are required to follow the laws but they are not required to assume you are stupid and too lazy to sort it out yourselves.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »
    2) I quite like the 2 year mandatory coverage.

It sounds really great on the surface until you try to file a claim when, for example, your hard drive crashes at 14 months and you find out that Apple can legally refuse to do squat because

A. In said country after six months the burden of proof is on the customers
    B. you can't prove it was delivered defective as required under the law
    C. You didn't buy it from Apple so you would have to go back to the actual seller even if you could prove it
    D. You don't have AppleCare

Then you won't like that lack of 'mandatory' coverage
  • Reply 23 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What else could it be?

Physical damage from dropping the phone.

• Reply 24 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd venture that most Home Button and Sleep/Wake Button problems stem from mistreatment, not to say that they cannot or do not happen due to an otherwise broken part.

I'd venture that using air in a can to blow out the dock connector also blows out dust that can accumulate under the home button, which often fixes this wear and tear issue.

Do it all the time.

• Reply 25 of 35
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Physical damage from dropping the phone.

I can assure you that, at least in my case, the malfunction was not due to a dropped handset.
  • Reply 26 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple should just f*cking pull out of Italy completely.  

This is crazy the way they keep hounding them to honour their ridiculous two year warranty law.  It's not like the Italians won't immediately just buy online or get stuff from any one of a half dozen near by European countries.  

I kind of wish people like you were in charge at Apple because if you had your way, Apple would not be selling in Mexico, England, Italy or any other country where they pay fines for breaking the law.  And to me, that would be a good thing.   I personally think you should think with less emotion.  Do you really think Apple should forfeit all their future sales in Italy for a fine of 264K?  Would you ask them to pull out of a country because one of your favourite C level officers got an unfair parking ticket?  Where does it end?.....

• Reply 27 of 35
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

You see stuck Home buttons reported all the time on iPhone forums.   It doesn't seem to require "abuse".   (How do you abuse the Home button, anyway?)

IFixit's website says that the Home button is a common failure point:  

"Lots of failure apparently. A stuck or sticky Home Button is the third most common failure on an iPhone, behind a dead battery and a broken panel."

(A stuck Home button makes sense.   I'm far more surprised at the dead batteries, although there seem to be bad batches at times.)

• Reply 28 of 35

The fact is that it's law in the EU. Apple has no choice.

But anyway, what's the problem ? Apple devices are perfect in every respect. Nothing ever breaks, so complying with the law would obviously be a zero-cost measure. Failing to comply with the law will get expensive as the fines increase exponentially in all EU countries.

Live with it and stop the whining.

• Reply 29 of 35
    @Gazoobee
    I sure hope you'll do a 180 after reading the responses to your post.
    saarek wrote: »
    After multiple calls to apple care they folded after I provided the law to the in writing.

I read this every now and then, but people never write what it is they are showing Apple. Can you post your words or the letter to provided to Apple that made them reverse their initial stance?

I've carried my iPhone daily for five years, no case, straight in my pocket.

You should receive an iTunes gift card from Apple for the person holding on the longest to their iPhone. 3 years I have heard of, never 5. Props to you sir. Apple could market this. The competition shouldn't, because the phone ought to be in working condition, obviously.
    charlituna wrote: »
    No, consumers need to be mature and do a little work for themselves.

If you are going to buy something, especially something that expense, educate yourself on your rights. Because the sellers are required to follow the laws but they are not required to assume you are stupid and too lazy to sort it out yourselves.

Excellent post! This is precisely what the issue entails: the 2 year mandatory warranty is a law, and the law expects people to know it. People who don't miss out on things in life. Some end up sharing their stupidity on forums, like this one.

The European 2 year warranty does not for instance cover the same items in month #23 compared to what is covered in the first 6 months. Yet many people just assume 2 year warranty means just that, while it definitely is more complex. Which should be obvious if you think about it a little.

AppleCare covers more than what the law requires, so it still makes sense for Apple to advertise and sell it, and for people to buy it. I buy it for that very reason.
    taniwha wrote: »
    The fact is that it's law in the EU. Apple has no choice.

You don't seem to understand the difference between the mandatory warranty and what Apple sells under the moniker AppleCare. Read up on it and post back.
    Apple devices are perfect in every respect. ..stop the whining.

Indeed, stop it.
  • Reply 30 of 35

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You should receive an iTunes gift card from Apple for the person holding on the longest to their iPhone. 3 years I have heard of, never 5. Props to you sir. Apple could market this. The competition shouldn't, because the phone ought to be in working condition, obviously.

An iTunes gift card? Not an Apple gift card equivalent to the value of a modern iPhone? image

• Reply 31 of 35
    An iTunes gift card? Not an Apple gift card equivalent to the value of a modern iPhone? ;)

Ooh, you're right! And they even go up to $2000, so they could double the price of an iPhone and you'd still be good.

• Reply 32 of 35

Ooh, you're right! And they even go up to $2000, so they could double the price of an iPhone and you'd still be good.

I can't wait for the day when they finally merge that. There's an Apple Store app, for heaven's sake. If I can't use the account synced with my device to make purchases in it, that seems a little silly.

• Reply 33 of 35
    I can't wait for the day when they finally merge that. There's an Apple Store app, for heaven's sake. If I can't use the account synced with my device to make purchases in it, that seems a little silly.

Excellent idea, but for that to work the kind and giving grandma would need to know the email address / AppleID of their beloved in order to credit their account. Right now they just buy a card and post it my mail. Am I missing something, even though I like your idea?
  • Reply 34 of 35

Excellent idea, but for that to work the kind and giving grandma would need to know the email address / AppleID of their beloved in order to credit their account. Right now they just buy a card and post it my mail. Am I missing something, even though I like your idea?

I just mean that "iTunes Gift Cards" would just become Apple Gift Cards, sold everywhere they're already sold but also usable for purchases of physical product from the Online Apple Store.

• Reply 35 of 35
    philboogie wrote: »

I just mean that "iTunes Gift Cards" would just become Apple Gift Cards, sold everywhere they're already sold but also usable for purchases of physical product from the Online Apple Store.

Ah ok, I see. That would be better. Perhaps Apple's financial system has something to do with this. Income from hardware from NL, DE, FR, BE, LUX gets taxed in Ireland as the money is routed there, but software goes to LUX to the best of my knowledge that is...