Rumor: Foxconn testing Apple televisions sized 46 to 55 inches

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new, questionable rumor claims Apple's manufacturing partner, Foxconn, is testing televisions for the company sized between 46 and 55 inches.

The details were published on Wednesday by Focus Taiwan, which cited a source at Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., also known by its trade name of Foxconn. The source indicated that the "initial phase of tests" on Apple televisions has begun, though it's "unlikely" shipments would begin as soon as the end of 2013.

Diminishing the report's likely accuracy, however, is the fact that the source allegedly claimed that new "Apple TV-related products" will be shown off at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. CES is an annual trade show that Apple has famously avoided.

Apple TV

At last year's CES, rumors of an Apple television were characterized as "the elephant in the room." The 2012 convention featured increased innovation in HDTVs ? a change believed to have been spurred in part by fears that Apple is planning an entrance into the market.

Aside from the specific screen sizes and mention of CES, the report mostly reiterates what The Wall Street Journal initially reported last week: That Apple has been testing "a few designs" for a large format TV with its manufacturing partners in Asia. Specifically, the original report said Apple was working on prototype designs with Foxconn and Sharp.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

That's it? I'd figure 37", 55", and 70".

• Reply 2 of 7
    Unless Apple is going to introduce something disruptive like flexible panels hangable on a wall, or glasses-free 3d, or something else as jaw dropping as the original iPhone or iPad, they really should not bother with TV at all.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    4K please!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Feedback confirms the girls still love it, but it still hurts.

Apple continues their R&D.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    way too small...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

For a device like this, I believe Apple might change their policy and attend CES, but they're not going to CES until they know exactly what they're going to sell.   And they would do their own usual announcement first.   So, IMO, there is no way Apple attends January 2013 CES.    The reason why I think Apple would attend CES is because they sell through every retailer they can find today in spite of the success of the Apple Stores and the amount of business Apple does online. 

While there's nothing wrong with 46" and 55" as part of a lineup, those are too small to constitute a complete lineup.    Especially as bezel sizes decrease, consumers are moving towards larger and larger sets.    Although priced at $25K, Sony just released an 84" 4K display.    65" is becoming a very standard size from all manufacturers.

I agree with others who feel that Apple has to release something totally different than what's in the market today.  In fact, in spite of the good quality of their computer and portable device displays, I think Apple should not release anything until they can move to the next generation of technology.   Therefore, they should skip LCD completely and wait for new display tech.

IMO, an Apple set would have to include the following:

- a groundbreaking new UI that includes all media sources, including OTA, cable, satellite, Apple's content competitors on the net, Apple TV, etc.   Part of that might be a live visual display of what's playing on different channels.

- 4K support (even though there's no content yet, except for the box that Sony is supplying with their 84" set)

- automatic customized picture calibration of the display based on the home environment

- easy control of external devices that goes beyond the confusing HDMI control of today (Recievers, Blu-ray players, etc.)

- can be controlled by virtually any wireless device. 

- easier searching for content on YouTube, etc.

- built-in Apple Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

- easy, built-in program recording

- No bezel whatsoever (or the most minimum bezel they can manage)

- Easy wall mounting, preferably with an Apple designed mount that's far thinner than existing mounts.

- high-quality built-in sound (although this is generally an Apple weakness across their current product line)

- None of the artifacts associated with current tech:  no burn-in, dead pixels, dirty screen syndrome, horizontal or vertical blocks or lines, inconsistent screen brightness, blooming, etc.

And even if they included all of the above, I'm not sure that would be enough for consumers to switch to an Apple device from a relatively low priced Samsung and the like.  Also, if Sony and Panasonic lose money on every TV they sell, how is Apple going to keep their usual large margins and make a better  TV at the same time?

My fear is that the Apple TV is going to be a middle-of-the-line generic TV wrapped in a really nice case with Apple TV embedded and nothing more.   IMO, aside from the usual Apple fanboys, such a set would be a failure in the marketplace unless it was priced lower than the equivalent Samsung. 

• Reply 7 of 7
    I don't get all the complaining about the size! I could use a 32" monitor as a TV with no problem. We haven't even upgraded from our 20 year-old square Sony Trinitron.