Samsung sues Apple in Korea over iOS Notification Center

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Just don't buy one, they'll get the hint eventually.........

Nah, I like the smashing idea better.  It's much faster.  image LOL image

• Reply 22 of 118

Originally Posted by Gavnone 

?, ?? ???? ?? ????.

"Samsung honorable behavior", huh. image

• Reply 23 of 118
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I can't adjust the black level of my Samsung to where I think it should be without crushing blacks, "black" ends up being a lighter gray than I think it should be. I wish I had spent the little more on a Panasonic, the blacks would be better and the controls would probably be better too. One saving grace is Samsung does include a zoom mode that turns off overscan, which is ideal for computer use.

If Apple makes a TV I think it's likely they will have the panel calibrated well at the factory like they do with their other displays.
  • Reply 24 of 118
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You should've went with a plasma. The picture on a LED look "fake" and overexposed, a plasma is the closest thing to the picture on a CRT.

The very sad thing: my Samsung *is* a plasma! I still can't get the blacks to where I think they're supposed to be without crushing some of the darker blacks.
  • Reply 25 of 118
    Considering Apple Notification Bar was around before Samsung made a smartphone i don't see this going anywhere...

• Reply 26 of 118
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wish Sammy would innovate instead of litigate.

Would this be considered prior art: I keep notes on my window shades and I pull it down to see them and then let it contract to hide them from my view.
  • Reply 27 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jecaron View Post

Considering Apple Notification Bar was around before Samsung made a smartphone i don't see this going anywhere...

Not true.  Bada had the notification bar from inception and it's introduction in the Wave S8500, which would be around Jan 2010.  iOS didn't get the notification bar until June 2011 and iOS 5

• Reply 28 of 118
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You should've went with a plasma. The picture on a LED look "fake" and overexposed, a plasma is the closest thing to the picture on a CRT.

What a ridiculous statement. LED-backlit LED displays give the best picture you'll find on the market today. If the picture is overexposed, then adjust the contrast. Use a proper colour and gamma correction blu-ray to calibrate your display.

Yes, plasma is the closest thing to a CRT (bar a CRT) but who the hell wants that? The colour is terrible, as is the picture quality.
  • Reply 29 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

What a ridiculous statement. LED-backlit LED displays give the best picture you'll find on the market today. If the picture is overexposed, then adjust the contrast. Use a proper colour and gamma correction blu-ray to calibrate your display.

Yes, plasma is the closest thing to a CRT (bar a CRT) but who the hell wants that? The colour is terrible, as is the picture quality.

Could you link to some expert opinions backing up your claim, because the ones I have seen still rate the high end Panasonic Plasmas like the VT50 as having the best picture quality available.

• Reply 30 of 118
    I don't quite get this - isn't Android owned by Google? Therefore if the notification centre first appeared in Android (I think most of us would concede it did) then isn't Google's fight not Samsung?

Basically yes. IF notifications as seen in iOS 6 are the same as what is baked into Android then Samsung is out of line because they are trying to sue over something they don't own

They would want us to believe that some major aspect of NC was their idea and then 'stolen' by Apple. Such as Googles version you tap on the bar but Samsung added, and patented, the swipe to reveal/hide bit. We'll see soon enough what the score is
  • Reply 31 of 118
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Then you're stuck with a Samsung TV.

Not if you return it
  • Reply 32 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Basically yes. IF notifications as seen in iOS 6 are the same as what is baked into Android then Samsung is out of line because they are trying to sue over something they don't own

They would want us to believe that some major aspect of NC was their idea and then 'stolen' by Apple. Such as Googles version you tap on the bar but Samsung added, and patented, the swipe to reveal/hide bit. We'll see soon enough what the score is

The android notifications you drag the notification shade down from the status bar. In truth the notifications in android are superior to Apple's solution by a longshot. The samsung solution not so much. I hated the notifications on Touchwiz on my Galaxy S III but my nexus 4 its a pleasure to use.  

• Reply 33 of 118

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not if you return it

"Reason for return:  Noticed it was made by Samsung "

• Reply 34 of 118
    iNews24

How ironic. For a lawsuit "Samsung versus Apple" being reported by a news agency that had the very imaginative idea of sticking a small cap i in front of the word News.
  • Reply 35 of 118
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Not if you return it

I suppose not, but it would be resold as an open box item. The effort to buy and return a TV seems like a waste of time and effort.

I question the idea that Samsung loses money on TVs, the reason this part of the discussion is going on. There's no reason they would do so unless they're trying to outlast other makers in the hopes that TVs are profitable again in the distant future.
  • Reply 36 of 118
    frxntier wrote: »
    Given the amount of reading I've done on the subject, I suspect you're dead wrong. Every review I have ever read indicates plasma is superior to LED. Plasma has better contrast, better blacks, and better color depth. The advantages of LCDs are lower power, lower heat, and much lower burn-in chance. All that said, if the alleged Apple TV is an LED, I won't get one.
  • Reply 37 of 118

Very quiet news on China/Asia sales into the last 2 weeks of Dec, perhaps the 2mil sales was just a one-off?  Anyone from China have any updates?

• Reply 38 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kingchael wrote: »
    Very quiet news on China/Asia sales into the last 2 weeks of Dec, perhaps the 2mil sales was just a one-off?  Anyone from China have any updates?

What kind of sales news were you expecting?I would only expect sales from Apple to come after the first weekend, the quarter results, or during an event.
  • Reply 39 of 118
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    Forgive me for bringing facts to this argument, but jailbreak dev, David Ashman, wrote a code for a notification app back in 2008. Did google or samscum have notifications prior to this? No, because there were no touch screen phones by these two until 2009 and notifications came to android in late 2010.

Lockinfo (http://www.lockinfo.net/) and intelliscreen were running on the iPhone before google or samescum stole the idea. Prior art will shoot samescum down in flames. Their only hope is that as they own most of the media outlets and most of the judiciary in Korea, they'll get a free pass. Corruption, it's what they do best. Their arrogance knows no bounds.
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/
  • Reply 40 of 118
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    Two things. Lockinfo and intelliscreen. Look them up. On the iPhone, 2008-2009. Dead and buried.