Samsung sues Apple in Korea over iOS Notification Center

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

But even a casual look at notification center on Android and Apples version shows they are pretty much the same thing.  

Either way its the same verdict.

Did Apple infringe:  Yes.

Does it matter:  No, the patent is invalid.

Read Google's patent.

Does Apple infringe NO (Apple DOES NOT USE ICONS IN A STATUS BAR).

Does it matter dunno, it depends on SAMSUNG's patent.

• Reply 82 of 118
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The notification bar has been part of the Android OS since version 1.0, and predating the Cydia app for the iPhone from David Ashman that you mentioned.

EDIT: Android notifications are shown here on the first shipping consumer smartphone that ever used that OS. Note the date of the article.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/16/t-mobile-g1-review-part-2-software-and-wrap-up/

You really need to check your facts. My use of the app Cydia, was incorrect, it was the installer app, released in 2007. David Ashman had a hack in September of 2008, that required the user install using a .deb file via SSH (I should know, I did it myself), then a download was available via the installer app, January 2009. How on earth could android have this as it had no touch screen phones available until late 2009? Nice try, but you fail. Best stick to facts and not the dreams you seem to live off. Google stole the idea, as did samescum. You can't provide any evidence to the contrary.
  • Reply 83 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

Forgive me for bringing facts to this argument, but jailbreak dev, David Ashman, wrote a code for a notification app back in 2008. Did google or samscum have notifications prior to this? No, because there were no touch screen phones by these two until 2009 and notifications came to android in late 2010.

Lockinfo (http://www.lockinfo.net/) and intelliscreen were running on the iPhone before google or samescum stole the idea. Prior art will shoot samescum down in flames. Their only hope is that as they own most of the media outlets and most of the judiciary in Korea, they'll get a free pass. Corruption, it's what they do best. Their arrogance knows no bounds.

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/

A good read on Samsung.  Thanks.

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/

• Reply 84 of 118
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member

Quote:

You really need to check your facts. My use of the app Cydia, was incorrect, it was the installer app, released in 2007. David Ashman had a hack in September of 2008, that required the user install using a .deb file via SSH (I should know, I did it myself), then a download was available via the installer app, January 2009. How on earth could android have this as it had no touch screen phones available until late 2009? Nice try, but you fail. Best stick to facts and not the dreams you seem to live off. Google stole the idea, as did samescum. You can't provide any evidence to the contrary.

OK. I checked. Yup, I'm right. Here's the evidence again.

Simply watch this video from Nov/2007 for yourself, demonstrating the Status Bar with notifications at the 2:19 mark. Oh, and don't forget the included touchscreen Android device demo'd at around 3:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg&feature=player_embedded#!

• Reply 85 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    OK. I checked. Yup, I'm right.

Simply watch this video from Nov/2007 for yourself, demonstrating the Status Bar with notifications at the 2:19 mark. Oh, and don't forget the included touchscreen Android device demo'd at around 3:00<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;">.</span>

<p id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1356297674941_812" style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;"><a href="" id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1356297674941_820" style="border:0px;" target="_blank" name="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1356297674941_820">
    !</p>

Are you missing the point of the status bar to also include notifications? As mentioned previously this has existed long before Android was ever purchased by Google.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    frood wrote: »
    Actually you pretty much absolutely supported my verdict.  There are two issues related to these types of patent suits.  Infringement and validity.  Infringement is almost always the easy one.  Does Samsung hold a patent related to the notification center?  Yes.  Did Apple use something essentially the same in their devices?  If the answer to that is yes, then Apple infringed (regardless of whether or not the patent is valid).  It is even entirely possible that Apple could have a substantially similar patent in its arsenal and they could choose to use that to countersue Samsung.  If that is the case, since they both used a system that violates the others' held patents- they would both be guilty of infringement.  If you dispute that Samsung holds the patent, you're irrational- because Samsung holds the patent.  That is a fact.  If you could claim that Apples version of notification is not in violation of Samsungs patent you could at least make an argument if you have one.  But even a casual look at notification center on Android and Apples version shows they are pretty much the same thing.  Saying Apple didn't infringe the patent would be more emotional than logical.  It would be a lot like the 'bounceback' and 'pinch to zoom' patents-  Question 1: Did Apple hold a patent on 'bounceback' and 'pinch to zoom'  Answer(s):  Yes.   Question 2: Did Samsung use 'bounceback' and 'pinch to zoom' on their devices?  Answer:  Yes.  Therefore Samsung infringed on Apples patents.  It is not really arguable.  I think the android fans that argue otherwise are just as guilty of arguing emotionally instead of logically.

If infringement is found, it is not necessarily a bad thing.  The patent needs to be valid.  In my case I thought the patent should not be valid because it is too obvious a thing to patent.  That would be open to argument and lawyers are pretty good at that and they will- which is why I said they could save some time and just use *my* opinion (and it is just that- my opinion).  In your case, you are claiming there is prior art.  That's an even stronger argument because it would be fact based.  Even with prior art there will still be an argument of whether the 'prior art' is similar enough and as long as they are getting paid lawyers will make the argument.

Either way its the same verdict.
    Did Apple infringe:  Yes.
    Does it matter:  No, the patent is invalid.

My point.
    1. Notifications existed prior to Google or samescum implementing it. Prior Art. Which should invalidate any patent Google or anyone else claims. This needs to be contested.
    2. Either of these two companies would have clearly been aware of what was happening on the iPhone back in 2007-2008. I'm just a part time hacker and even I found how to enable notifications back in 2008.
    3. Google filed for a NC patent in 2010. Even google aren't buying into a law suit against Apple which should tell you something.
    4. Samescum write their code off the back of android, so their NC couldn't predate googles.

It's a bit rich of a corrupt company to claim something that isn't theirs to claim, while the code existed before any of these companies implemented it. That is my point.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    OK. I checked. Yup, I'm right. Here's the evidence again.

Simply watch this video from Nov/2007 for yourself, demonstrating the Status Bar with notifications at the 2:19 mark. Oh, and don't forget the included touchscreen Android device demo'd at around 3:00<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;">.</span>

<p id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1356297674941_812" style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;"><a href="" id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1356297674941_820" style="border:0px;" target="_blank" name="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1356297674941_820">
    !</p>

If you wish to be pedantic, then Growl used software notifications back in 2004. http://growl.info/documentation/version_history.php
    Prior art, which invalidates any patent. Tested in court, samescum will be shot down in a flaming ball of crud.
  • Reply 88 of 118

Quote:

If you wish to be pedantic, then Growl used software notifications back in 2004. http://growl.info/documentation/version_history.php

Prior art, which invalidates any patent. Tested in court, samescum will be shot down in a flaming ball of crud.

I don't know if you're right about that new claim of yours or not. I seriously doubt you've any idea of the claims in Samsung's supposed patent, and thus know whether anything Growl did affects them. If I'm wrong and you do have specifics of the Samsung patent, please link it here for the rest of us to take a look at.

I was simply addressing your original claim that Google stole the idea for their Android notifications bar from the Cydia app developer you cited. You were incorrect as shown by the video evidence I offered. That's hardly pedantic.

Anyway, I'll take your moving of the goalposts as your acceptance that I was correct to begin with.

• Reply 89 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you missing the point of the status bar to also include notifications? As mentioned previously this has existed long before Android was ever purchased by Google.

It may well have been Soli. I've never made any claim as to "where it all came from first". My sole reason for the posts was to point out KR00's erroneous accusations about Google stealing the idea from an iPhone app developer, which you chimed in on appearing to support with your app names and release dates in 2008. 

Frankly it's long been my opinion that most of today's smartphone innovations aren't so much inventive as they are expanding/building on existing features that came before them. Truly original never-before-imagined ideas are pretty rare, hardly as common as the number of software patents issued every year would imply. IMO that's another reason to start reining them in.

• Reply 90 of 118
    Two Samsung articles posted back-to-back. One where Samsung is attacking Apple over a minor issue in Korea and a major antitrust case the EU is bringing against Samsung.

And where is everyone flocking to?
  • Reply 91 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Two Samsung articles posted back-to-back. One where Samsung is attacking Apple over a minor issue in Korea and a major antitrust case the EU is bringing against Samsung.

And where is everyone flocking to?

The more interesting one?

• Reply 92 of 118
    Screw Samsung and their Hem-Droids.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

iNews24

How ironic. For a lawsuit "Samsung versus Apple" being reported by a news agency that had the very imaginative idea of sticking a small cap i in front of the word News.

Apple didn't invent the "i" prefix.   As the Internet grew in popularity in the 1990s, so did sticking an "i" (either upper or lower case) in front of Internet-connected device names or phrases.  

Perhaps you'll recall that Apple had to buy the iPhone name from Cisco, since it dated to a trademark for a1990s internet phone.

Heck, as many people know, Apple almost didn't use the late 1990s iMac name that started their use of  the "i".   Steve Jobs originally wanted to call it the "MacMan", no doubt a takeoff on Sony's popular WalkMan devices. 

Just imagine if he'd gotten his way.   We'd be using a MacPhone (or maybe a PhoneMan) right now.   Woof !

Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

What the f(€&/ guys!?! I had notifications on my ms pocket pc:s on the end of the 90:s!!!

There is way long ago prior art on this one so please stop the crap talk NOW.

It is a bit ironic that the old Pocket PCs (and WinMo phones) already had back then, what many people use or want now:   to have notifications and live widgets on the homescreen (aka the Today screen).   It didn't always look pretty, but by golly, it was quick and functional.

• Reply 94 of 118

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Apple didn't invent the "i" prefix.   As the Internet grew in popularity in the 1990s, so did sticking an "i" (either upper or lower case) in front of Internet-connected device names or phrases.

I don't recall a use thereof until Apple did it. Do you know any?

• Reply 95 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't recall a use thereof until Apple did it. Do you know any?

I used to have a list around here of "i" and "In" named devices.  I'll see if I can find it.   There was a surge of what were called "internet appliances" back then.   Unfortunately, much history was not cached online, and we didn't have cheap digital cameras to record things.  We have to rely on old print magazines, and most of mine are in storage now that I'm nearing retirement.

Many devices didn't last very long.  For example, there was a web computer called the "i-Opener" that only was sold for a couple of years around 1999, IIRC.   Others were announced but never sold, or even just topics in research papers.

Besides "Internet", "I"  was also used to mean "interactive", and there were plenty of Powerpoint presentations and articles in the early 1990s about "iTV".   I headed up an Interactive Settop Box API lab at that time.   We also had stupider names.   For example, Interactive TV settop boxes were originally called "Digital Entertainment Terminals" or DETs instead of STBs.  Anyway...

The iMac was announced in August 1998.

The Infogear "iPhone" dates from 1997 but was first noticed by the press in January 1998.   A ZDNet article towards the end of that year also noted, "Another major appliance expected to make a strong showing is the Internet phone. One of the first is the iPhone created by InfoGear Technology Corp., which hopes to have iPhones in 10 percent of U.S. homes by the end of 2000."

• Reply 96 of 118

Isaac Asimov's Book  I, Robot. Could be argued as the first! Although It is clear by the syntax that it is a sentence proclaiming self awareness. I remember in the early eighties after reading the book in high school proclaiming "I, Toaster"  , "I, Chainsaw" etc. It was a common joke in my neck of the woods. product wise I only remember Ipswitch Incorporated. a developer of IT solutions began selling iMail Server in 1994. 

• Reply 97 of 118

Originally Posted by reasonableGuy View Post

Isaac Asimov's Book  I, Robot. Could be argued as the first! Although It is clear by the syntax that it is a sentence proclaiming self awareness.

Having nothing at all to do with this, yeah. 

• Reply 98 of 118

Your right. off topic. But still funny

• Reply 99 of 118

Like "iPhone, "iPod" was another name Apple had to buy because it was already trademarked by someone else with an "internet" use in mind.

At the time it came out, the "iPod" name belonged to an inventor from New Jersey who had registered it couple of years earlier for  public internet kiosks.

There are also stories that the name was used back around 1995 in Australia, for an actual plastic pod chair with internet access.

• Reply 100 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I used to have a list around here of "i" and "In" named devices.  I'll see if I can find it. 

Thanks, babe. You go and get back to us with that.

In the meantime, could you be a darl and make me a coffee?