Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly preparing a thinner, lighter fifth-generation iPad model ahead of a March unveiling, only five months after the most recent version was released in October, claims Japanese blog Mac Otakara.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Mac Otakara, which has a hit-and-miss record of predicting future Apple products, claims the 9.7-inch tablet will surface in March with a new look more in line with the iPad mini.

The exact dimensions of the purported iPad were not divulged by the source, but they did expect the tablet to be thinner and lighter than the current iteration. As with most Apple products, and those of OEMs in general, designs have been trending toward shrinking the device while cramming in as much technology as possible. With the third and fourth-generation iPad, however, the chassis was actually slightly thicker than its predecessor as more internal space was required to hold the circuitry that powers the unit's Retina display.

iPad review
Apple's full-size iPad may get a design refresh in March.

While the rumor fits with recent whispers that Apple may be moving to an aggressive half-year product refresh cycle, as seen with the fourth-generation iPad, the company has consistently worked with a year-long rotation for its iDevice lines since their respective introductions.

No mention was made of the 9.7-inch model's internal specifications, but the publication did note that an upgraded iPad mini is already in the works. The smaller tablet will reportedly fit an all-new 7.9-inch Retina display over hand-me-down innards like the A6X processor from the current full-size iPad. Separate reports have echoed the second-gen iPad mini rumors, though a prospective launch timeline has yet to be established.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 203

6th-gen in April. 10th-gen in May.

the 9.7-inch tablet will surface

I wish I didn't know that this wasn't purposeful so that I could commend the author's sense of humor.

• Reply 2 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I really don't see the point unless Rogue 6 is ready to go.
  • Reply 3 of 203

This will coincide with the release of iPhone 7.

• Reply 4 of 203

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This will coincide with the release of iPhone 7.

That's the 10th iPhone. You really think it will take that long for the next iPad?

• Reply 5 of 203
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I believe this rumor. Apple is trying to be super aggressive with tablets. It isn't going to go a year without an update. 

• Reply 6 of 203

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I believe this rumor. Apple is trying to be super aggressive with tablets. It isn't going to go a year without an update. 

They never have before. Now they're "not going to go six months", which I don't think is the right thing to do, at least yet.

• Reply 7 of 203
    I guess "Mac Otakara" is the new DigiTimes. This trash isn't even worth the time spent reading it.
  • Reply 8 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the 10th iPhone. You really think it will take that long for the next iPad?

If you believe the article then I'm guessing iPhone 6 will be released in late January and iPhone 7 will be released in March.

• Reply 9 of 203
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Wow! Apple fans are going to explode.
  • Reply 10 of 203
    I'm all for fast iterations and accelerated product cycles but I wish someone would spend some time fixing all of the bugs in iOS.
  • Reply 11 of 203
    h3nrch wrote: »
    I'm all for fast iterations and accelerated product cycles but I wish someone would spend some time fixing all of the bugs in iOS.

Right?¡ It sucks that take everyone off the iOS bug fix team in order to design and build new devices¡ I wish they didn't do that¡
  • Reply 12 of 203
    Well it would help the iPad sell better.... I bet that they reduce the bezel like they did on the mini....

I
  • Reply 13 of 203
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Well it would help the iPad sell better.... I bet that they reduce the bezel like they did on the mini....

I

OMG seriously! It would help the Ipad sell better than what exactly? A slightly better selling tablet?

Reduce the bezel! Again, seriously? Another person who doesn't understand the design and what the bezel is actually for.

• Reply 14 of 203
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

What???? All 4 of my iOS devices have been running flawlessly so have no idea what "bugs" you are referring to.

• Reply 15 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

OMG seriously! It would help the Ipad sell better than what exactly? A slightly better selling tablet?

Well, actually... yes.

The iPad Mini.

• Reply 16 of 203
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

This would be fine with me. Can't think of any other way the ipad can be improved significantly. It's already ultrafast and the screen is superb. Weight is the main reason I switched to a mini, and I could see myself switching back if it became significantly lighter. 

• Reply 17 of 203
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    tbell wrote: »

If you call a CPU update and switching to the new connector being super aggressive. It seems more the ordinary kind of aggressive to me. Switching to Lightning makes sense, the idea of having the flagship on the old 30-pin with the new mini Lightning might not have sat well with them.

Apple can update whenever they feel like, but I think they're probably trying to update all their iOS devices closer together in the Fall, hence why iPhone 4S moved to the Fall, and possibly why iPad was given a bump in the fall. I think it probably helps unify their software and hardware development efforts.
  • Reply 18 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nrch View Post

Yes, the very same people work on both hardware and software at Apple. They try and cut corners that way. They also have to mop the floors every Thursday night, and empty the trash cans Friday afternoon.

• Reply 19 of 203
    slurpy wrote: »
    This would be fine with me. Can't think of any other way the ipad can be improved significantly. It's already ultrafast and the screen is superb. Weight is the main reason I switched to a mini, and I could see myself switching back if it became significantly lighter. 

But that's the issue I have with this rumour. How do you lower the weight whilst stilling maintaining a 10 hour battery life? Is there new battery tech being prepped for the mass market? Is it the Rogue 6 GPU or some other GPU solution? I could see a new, single backlight solution and IGZO display but I can't imagine those along would allow for much change in the total size of the battery.
  • Reply 20 of 203
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

This rumor is bunk. i predict a new ipad every month and a new iphone every 2 weeks. in addition to a new Apple TV set every two months.