Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 203
    I expect Apple might be making incremental upgrades to their iPad lines like they do the MBP and MBA lines. Small improvements will just bemade without fanfare. The bigger improvements will be preceded by larger PR campaigns.
  • Reply 22 of 203

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Well it would help the iPad sell better.... I bet that they reduce the bezel like they did on the mini....

I wish people who didn't understand bezels wouldn't comment on them.

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I expect Apple might be making incremental upgrades to their iPad lines like they do the MBP and MBA lines. Small improvements will just made without fanfare. The bigger improvements will be preceded by larger PR campaigns.

Not yet.

• Reply 23 of 203
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They never have before. Now they're "not going to go six months", which I don't think is the right thing to do, at least yet.

Maybe not with Tablets, but Apple used to update its Macs more frequently than a year. Apple sort of had its hands tied with the iPhone because of its long term contract with AT&T. That let Android in the market to play. Apple isn't likely to take chances with the iPad. Moreover, it used to be retail 101. Release the more higher end expense stuff you'd want to buy for yourself, as opposed to others, after the holidays. For instance, a Retina Mini or redesigned body iPad. 

• Reply 24 of 203
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you call a CPU update and switching to the new connector being super aggressive. It seems more the ordinary kind of aggressive to me. Switching to Lightning makes sense, the idea of having the flagship on the old 30-pin with the new mini Lightning might not have sat well with them.

Apple can update whenever they feel like, but I think they're probably trying to update all their iOS devices closer together in the Fall, hence why iPhone 4S moved to the Fall, and possibly why iPad was given a bump in the fall. I think it probably helps unify their software and hardware development efforts.

I see speeding up the upgrade cycle as aggressive. No more once a year upgrades for some products, like the iPad.  I see two upgrades. One to coincide with the new version of iOS. And another approximately six months apart. 

• Reply 25 of 203

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Maybe not with Tablets, but Apple used to update its Macs more frequently than a year.

Well, yeah. And I see twice a year for tablets, too. But not yet. ARM isn't moving fast enough.

The iPad will replace the MacBook. The iMac will turn into a big, immobile iPad. Tablets will definitely be updated faster, the question is when that will actually make sense to happen.

• Reply 26 of 203
    This sounds, sound like pure "Blunt current iPad sales" rumors of course picked up by AI -- and started by Samsung shills. Seriously. Timing is amazing as usual.
  • Reply 27 of 203
    Oh no here we go with the rumors again, now AppleInsider is going to write 35 articles per day about the 5th gen iPad until the day it is released. AI can't resist making products obsolete, please write about something useful. for the readers.
  • Reply 28 of 203

This prediction is a no-brainer.  Every other iDevices are shrink into smaller package.  I can see iPad 5 or iPad 4s coming in March with definitely thinner and may be smaller (currently ipad has a big border).  The mini update may take a little longer because Apple needs to distinguish the mini with the iPad.  It may come with a better screen but not retina grade.  iPad also needs to deal with the heat issue.  When you pack something into a thinner package with retina screen and A6 processor, you are pushing the boundary of physics in keeping the device cool at all times.  The current iPad 4 is a little warm during operation.    

• Reply 29 of 203

May be this is the reason why they are cutting back on production because of the upgrade.

• Reply 30 of 203

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

(currently ipad has a big border)

For a reason.

The mini update may take a little longer because Apple needs to distinguish the mini with the iPad.

One's of a usable size, the other is pointlessly smaller. Pretty sure they're distinct lines already.

iPad also needs to deal with the heat issue.

What heat issue?

• Reply 31 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The iPad will replace the MacBook. The iMac will turn into a big, immobile iPad. Tablets will definitely be updated faster, the question is when that will actually make sense to happen.

I wonder how long until iPad photo editing replaces a MacBook (professionally as well as the ability to mass edit- weddings, etc). Of course, you'd have to find a way to get the photos to the iPad from your camera...

5 years? 7 years? No time soon at least.
  • Reply 32 of 203

Apple was TOO predicable there for a while. This allowed the competition to work up a year long release cycle to drain off Apple sales for 60 to 90 days before the next expected Apple tablet or phone release. Now Apple is mixing it up more and becoming harder for competitors to build an ad release campaign around an expected date. Apple may go to a twice a year release of various products, or they may go to an unpredictable release schedule that will be more frequent than once a year, but not twice either. 

I don't think we're in Kansas any more...?

• Reply 33 of 203
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    One's of a usable size, the other is pointlessly smaller. Pretty sure they're distinct lines already.

Pointlessly smaller?

I guess you missed all the people who said that they like the size of the iPad Mini. And the reports that the iPad Mini was largely getting new customers rather than cannibalizing iPad sales.

But TS says that it's pointless, so Apple should just discontinue the product. :rolleyes::no:
  • Reply 34 of 203

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I wonder how long until iPad photo editing replaces a MacBook (professionally as well as the ability to mass edit- weddings, etc).

I say three before it's physically feasible, 4-5 before Apple actually does it.

Of course, you'd have to find a way to get the photos to the iPad from your camera...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But TS says that it's pointless…

…ly smaller. You even quoted it yourself. I don't believe it's smaller enough to justify its existence. It's just too big when compared to the iPad. It's more like a "there, it's smaller, shut your faces," than anything else. I mean, I'm fine with that take, but it seems like a waste of resources.

They "like it more" because it's cheaper. Period. It's the exact same scenario as the iPod mini; $50 more netted you a ludicrously better device, and yet people bought the mini more than the regular iPod simply because it was cheaper.

If Apple had done what they knew worked with the iPhone and just dropped the iPad 2 to $299, the iPad mini crowd would have just shut up and all this nonsense would have fallen into laughable history like the "iPhone nano".

• Reply 35 of 203
    6 to 9 months wood be good as long as Apple has nice improvements not just a minor thing
  • Reply 36 of 203
    Thinner and lighter iPad is a natural evolutionary step. People shouldn't be surprised. We can thank competition for this. I hope Apple start being more creative in the feature set of ios as well.

Apple on the money with the iPad mini and using that as a reference design they can't go wrong. Bring it on I say!
  • Reply 37 of 203
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sranger wrote: »
    Well it would help the iPad sell better.... I bet that they reduce the bezel like they did on the mini....
    I
    Not unless they get the weight down to match the weight of the mini ...

Two completely different animals. Can't just lop off the bezel on the iPad because there's thumb recognition technology now ...
  • Reply 38 of 203
    They "like it more" because it's cheaper. Period. It's the exact same scenario as the iPod mini; $50 more netted you a ludicrously better device, and yet people bought the mini more than the regular iPod simply because it was cheaper.

This is backwards. The iPod mini cost a lot more compared to the iPod [Classic] and yet it was the best selling iPod. $249 v $299 wasn't going to make a difference, especially when considering the $249 price point only yielded you 40% of the capacity of the larger model. I certainly had no interest in the iPod until the Mini came along and it had everything to do with size.

Now the iPad mini, as attractive as it is, currently does not appeal to me compared to my iPad (3), but at about half the size of it's brother I can see how it's very appealing. I know plenty of people that will be getting the iPad mini when they replace their iPad and many that are now interested in the iPad because it's smaller. Price is the reason for someone to save $70 over the iPad 2.
  • Reply 39 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Just so I have it right- I get a 30 pin connector to lightning conversion connector and then that connector? Classy. Lol...
  • Reply 40 of 203
    I don't think 6-month iterations is a good thing. People's devices will become obselete too quickly. I am already finding it difficult with my iPhone 4 and a 3 year contract up here in Canada. My phone is slowing down and Apple will stop providing updates in the next 2 years or so for my device. If they have faster iterations, they will either carry more devices along through the updates or people will get left behind if they don't upgrade.
    And, these are high quality devices. You don't spend 400-900$ to have it be obselete in 2 years