Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 203
    andysol wrote: »
    Just so I have it right- I get a 30 pin connector to lightning conversion connector and then that connector? Classy. Lol...

So you have a device with a Lightning connector? So then why not just buy the direct adapter for it? Or why not use an app that is designed to transfer via WiFi or BT from your camera? It sounds like you're trying to make up problems to things that have been worked out now for a long time.
  • Reply 42 of 203

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is backwards. The iPod mini cost a lot more compared to the iPod [Classic] and yet it was the best selling iPod. $249 v $299 wasn't going to make a difference, especially when considering the $249 price point only yielded you 40% of the capacity of the larger model.

No, that's what I'm saying. It was overpriced compared to the regular iPod, which was usually within the 'no-brainer' field when it comes to upgrades, but it sold because it was cheaper. 

• Reply 43 of 203
    They need to do something quick. Stock prices are plummeting.
  • Reply 44 of 203
    No, that's what I'm saying. It was overpriced compared to the regular iPod, which was usually within the 'no-brainer' field when it comes to upgrades, but it sold because it was cheaper. 

It was 25% less with 60% less storage and less capabilities yet you think that is why is sold more units? If that's the case then why aren't older gen iPads and iPhones selling more than the newer ones that cost $100 more? The only reasonable answer for the iPod mini's success seems to be that it was a much more ideal product size for users despite the severely increased cost per GB.
  • Reply 45 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So you have a device with a Lightning connector? So then why not just buy the direct adapter for it? Or why not use an app that is designed to transfer via WiFi or BT from your camera? It sounds like you're trying to make up problems to things that have been worked out now for a long time.
    You're clueless on this. So you take 1,000+ pictures at a wedding, then transfer them via wifi or BT? Please- when it comes to technical things, you have a lot of knowledge. Please don't pretend that when I say "mass pictures" and "professional" that I mean the 20 pics you took on a DSLR from your kids ballet recital. Oh ya- and no DSLRs have wifi- that'd be another seperate adapter that just a handful of lower level ones support.

And there is no direct connector for lightning. That's a problem all on itself- why apple didnt have its lightning adapters ready at launch... Which we still don't have.
  • Reply 47 of 203
    You're clueless on this. So you take 1,000+ pictures at a wedding, then transfer them via wifi or BT? Please- when it comes to technical things, you have a lot of knowledge. Please don't pretend that when I say "mass pictures" and "professional" that I mean the 20 pics you took on a DSLR from your kids ballet recital. Oh ya- and no DSLRs have wifi- that'd be another seperate adapter that just a handful of lower level ones support.
    And there is no direct connector for lightning. That's a problem all on itself- why apple didnt have its lightning adapters ready at launch... Which we still don't have.

1) You have been informed of and shown choices of physical and wireless options for transferring images from a camera to an iPad but instead of acknowledging that you are instead slinging insults?

2) So now it's not about having the capability but having something faster than wireless and yet their Lightning to SD Card Reader and Lightning to USB Adapter options aren't good enough for you? Seriously?

3) Yes, you can DSLRs with WiFi as well as memory cards that contain WiFi.

4) If you are a "professional" photographer you would already know what options are available and wouldn't be complaining about it on this forum.
  • Reply 48 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I really don't see the point unless Rogue 6 is ready to go.

Plus include an IGZO display.

• Reply 49 of 203
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Seems like the next "market" Apple is disrupting/reinventing is manufacture itself, taking it to the next level, the design/production cycle. Which it makes sense would be something TC would do.

• Reply 50 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Pointlessly smaller?

I guess you missed all the people who said that they like the size of the iPad Mini. And the reports that the iPad Mini was largely getting new customers rather than cannibalizing iPad sales.

But TS says that it's pointless, so Apple should just discontinue the product. imageimage

Don't fall for it.

TS is just trying to generate clicks with his needless trolling.  image

• Reply 51 of 203
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Here I see too many people without a clue. It should surprise nobody that Apple is working on the next models of the iPad and iPad Mini. I'm willing to bet that they have a team working right now on the models that come after these models too. It is pretty silly to think that Apple wouldn't be working on new models and probably was doing so before iPad Mini was released.

As for a march update it isn't unreasonable to believe this would happen. In the case of iPad Mini it is pretty obvious that they want a retina in here, coupled with the rumor that Apple shored up Sharp to make their new screens a reality I can see retina Mini happening as quick as possible. The iPad itself is in desperate need of a flash upgrade so an upgrade there make sense if nothing else happens.

What would be really interesting would be a further SoC upgrades in either machine. Personally I don't think Apple will be able to turn out a new SoC design to replace A6 that quickly. The most rational move for them would be to move to 64 bit processing and a higher performance GPU in one shot. That would be late 2013.
  • Reply 52 of 203
    What are you doing with your iPhone 4 that is slowing it down. Mind works fine and I intend to milk it for as long as possible. For me it is far better to keep my iPad reasonably up to date. In fact iPad has grown on me to the point that I could replace it with a dumb phone. Well except for the integration we get with iOS device I could.

As for Apple get serious man, who goes farther with keeping old devices running and up to date. You certainly don't get support for old devices from the android market.

As for your iPhone delete all of the apps that have been frozen. Then reboot.
    timbit wrote: »
    I don't think 6-month iterations is a good thing. People's devices will become obselete too quickly. I am already finding it difficult with my iPhone 4 and a 3 year contract up here in Canada. My phone is slowing down and Apple will stop providing updates in the next 2 years or so for my device. If they have faster iterations, they will either carry more devices along through the updates or people will get left behind if they don't upgrade.
    And, these are high quality devices. You don't spend 400-900$ to have it be obselete in 2 years
  • Reply 53 of 203
    It is called a correction which happens to grossly overpriced stocks. When speculators start to take interest in a stock volatility will result. As for doing something it is called selling more product than they ever have.
    frxntier wrote: »
    They need to do something quick. Stock prices are plummeting.
  • Reply 54 of 203
    nonimus wrote: »
    Plus include an IGZO display.

I would suspect that there is a very strong possibility that this will happen. It is pretty obvious that Apple wants this to happen.
  • Reply 55 of 203
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    h3nrch wrote: »
    I'm all for fast iterations and accelerated product cycles but I wish someone would spend some time fixing all of the bugs in iOS.
    iOS isn't that bad. Mac OS X however is in crisis. Apple simply just stopped optimising Mac OS X. :-(
    But yeah, they should be optimising iOS too.. But I think it's time to put Mac OS X first for a while.
  • Reply 56 of 203
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ascii wrote: »
    Seems like the next "market" Apple is disrupting/reinventing is manufacture itself, taking it to the next level, the design/production cycle. Which it makes sense would be something TC would do.

I like this idea and formulation.
  • Reply 57 of 203

Given that Apple's always played the tune of smaller, lighter, thinner — I don't see why they'd continue iterating on the large iPad. It was an introductory size used to clearly define a new segment (and probably based, to some degree, on technical limitations of the time), but it is losing relevance.

The iPad mini is a perfect size and weight, very portable without feeling small or cramped. Throw in a Retina display and A6x chip and this will be a true beauty to behold. My guess is the next year will hold:

1. Intro of iPad Mini 2 with Retina display and A6x (high-end)

2. Intro of iPad Mini 2 with non-retina display and A6x (mid-end)

3. Continued sales of current iPad Mini (low-end)

1. Phasing out of original iPad form factor. Gen. 4 could be the last or second-to-last of the big iPads -- or -- a groundbreaking technology or re-focus of the large iPad that clearly defines WHY it needs to exist. Consumer question to answer: what makes the extra weight and size worth it?

Of course, all will depend on exactly how sales played out this holiday quarter, the level of cannibalization from the Mini and general consumer interest in one form factor vs. the other.

The error I think Apple made here was thinking that a Retina display was enough to differentiate a product for an upgrade cycle. Average consumers are unaware of the concept of resolution and do not have the critical eye necessary to tell the difference unless it is pointed out to them. Apple, being a company of design snobs obsessed with perfection (I mean that in a loving way) is easily wowed internally by these kinds of technological gems and, in their awed blindness, didn't consider that it might mean very little to Bob Q. Consumer. Indeed, Mr. Consumer seemed to pretty heavily opt for the cheaper iPad 2. 

• Reply 58 of 203
    Just so I have it right- I get a 30 pin connector to lightning conversion connector and then that connector?
    I wonder how long until iPad photo editing replaces a MacBook (professionally as well as the ability to mass edit- weddings, etc). Of course, you'd have to find a way to get the photos to the iPad from your camera...

5 years? 7 years? No time soon at least.

700 700 700 700 700 700 700 700
  • Reply 59 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Wow! Apple fans are going to explode.

Trolls and critics will explode, too. Each side stroking what they've got. It'll be an all-around good orgy.

• Reply 60 of 203
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Not unless they get the weight down to match the weight of the mini ...

Two completely different animals. Can't just lop off the bezel on the iPad because there's thumb recognition technology now ...

Why not?

J.