Samsung sues Apple in Korea over iOS Notification Center

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    kdarling wrote: »
    Like "iPhone, "iPod" was another name Apple had to buy because it was already trademarked by someone else with an "internet" use in mind.

No. Vinnie Chieco named the iPod
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/vinniechieco
  • Reply 102 of 118
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't recall a use thereof until Apple did it. Do you know any?

iPad, iPhone, iPod were all used by others before Apple decided to purchase the rights to the names.

None of it were originally Apple's.

I'm guessing this is one of those facts that the mind tends to "forget" if it goes against one's arguments.

• Reply 103 of 118
    Why people don't first read previous posts by others before posting is beyond me.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why people don't first read previous posts by others before posting is beyond me.

I see what you did there.

Well said!  

Happy Holidays!

• Reply 105 of 118

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

iPad, iPhone, iPod were all used by others before Apple decided to purchase the rights to the names.

A use of the "i-" prefix. iMac still predates all three of those. One of them was used in an illegal knockoff of the iMac, in fact.

• Reply 106 of 118
    I don't recall a use thereof until Apple did it. Do you know any?

I used a telephone equipment tester called the iTron in 1990, but it wasn't something the average consumer would ever know about.
  • Reply 107 of 118

Actually the first commercial android phone was released toward the end of 2008 and just to let you know that phone had a touch screen. But I am sure that you knew about the HTC Dream AKA t-mobile G1

• Reply 108 of 118

Gotta love butthurt companies like Samsung and Gizmodo.

Apple: Come at me bro

• Reply 109 of 118

Quote:

A use of the "i-" prefix. iMac still predates all three of those. One of them was used in an illegal knockoff of the iMac, in fact.

As I noted above, the public use of "iPhone" did predate "iMac".    And if the Australian story is true, "iPod" predated both by several years.

Again, for those coming in late, we're just talking about how Apple's ad agency ( the ones who talked Jobs into using "iMac" instead of "MacMan" ) didn't make up the "i" prefix out of thin air.

It was almost an inside joke at that point in the industry to call something "i-this" or "i-that", to emphasize the public's new desire for Internet connectivity via so-called "internet appliances", or for interactivity such as video on demand.

This is why it doesn't automatically mean someone is copying Apple,  just because they have an "i" prefix (e,g, "iNews").   It's the same as with the green phone icon... Apple itself was simply using a common industry icon/phrase.   Apple loves taking something like that, and trying to make it their own for marketing purposes.  It helps keep their products in people's minds.  Very clever, similar to Microsoft using "Windows", or Apple later trying to trademark "Multi-touch".

That said, I hope everyone is having a great holiday!

• Reply 110 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As I noted above, the public use of "iPhone" did predate "iMac".    And if the Australian story is true, "iPod" predated both by several years.

Again, for those coming in late, we're just talking about how Apple's ad agency ( the ones who talked Jobs into using "iMac" instead of "MacMan" ) didn't make up the "i" prefix out of thin air.

It was almost an inside joke at that point in the industry to call something "i-this" or "i-that", to emphasize the public's new desire for Internet connectivity via so-called "internet appliances", or for interactivity such as video on demand.

This is why it doesn't automatically mean someone is copying Apple,  just because they have an "i" prefix (e,g, "iNews").   It's the same as with the green phone icon... Apple itself was simply using a common industry icon/phrase.   Apple loves taking something like that, and trying to make it their own for marketing purposes.  It helps keep their products in people's minds.  Very clever, similar to Microsoft using "Windows", or Apple later trying to trademark "Multi-touch".

That said, I hope everyone is having a great holiday!

a) It doesn't really matter where the 'i' prefix comes from.

b) Nothing that you've written supports your assertion that it doesn't mean someone is copying Apple when they do it today. The history has nothing to do with why someone would choose to use it today.

c) No, it isn't the same as the white on green phone icon. Not only that, you haven't even established the thinnest of pretexts for why it would be the same, even ignoring the fact the your conclusion about the 'i' prefix is unwarranted.

The rest of your post is as nonsensical as usual from you. (The guy who claimed to have decades of touch screen programming experience and to have written a "browser engine" by yourself with your bare hands.)

That said, you're still full of it.

• Reply 111 of 118

It's the same as with the green phone icon... Apple itself was simply using a common industry icon/phrase.

No.

• Reply 112 of 118
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Tired of this. Vast resources are being wasted with all this legal wrangling on both sides.
  • Reply 113 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The rest of your post is as nonsensical as usual from you. (The guy who claimed to have decades of touch screen programming experience and to have written a "browser engine" by yourself with your bare hands.)

That said, you're still full of it.

Confusion between "touch screen programming experience" and "touching yourself" is quite common.

• Reply 114 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I'm guessing this is one of those facts that the mind tends to "forget" if it goes against one's arguments.

The components of a bread-based crust, tomato paste, ham, cheese, and various other toppings all existed well before the eighteenth century.

However, Raffaele Esposito is still a pizza legend for good reason.

Comprendere?

• Reply 115 of 118

Quote:

No.

Apple was a latecomer to a world full of known phone conventions.   This was both good and bad.  They could throw away some complications, but to be considered easy to learn, Apple also had to include certain items that would be understandable to people who'd been using cell phones for years.  

One of the primary user symbols is the Answer/Send button.   From the very first brick sized cell phone, a green handset has been its icon.   

The handset symbol has been used in different orientations over the years.  A left-leaning handset was favored by HTC on most of their phones, for example, as shown above.  Others used a different orientation, but left looked good.  Even Apple later picked the same left orientation as HTC, instead of picking something unique to themselves.

Now, good design meant that when moving that common symbol to an icon with a background color, it made the most sense to switch to a white handset on a green background.   And sure enough, that's what Skype did before the iPhone, and so did Windows Mobile dialer skin makers years even before them:

In fact, the left-learning white handset on green background symbol had been used enough that Apple could not trademark the original plain version they showed at the iPhone introduction.    Apple had to add background stripes to their trademark application in order to make it unique enough to register:

So, yes, Apple used a phone symbol that people would immediately understand from past experience.   They did not go out on a limb and invent something entirely new, not even close.

• Reply 116 of 118

Quote:

Apple was a latecomer to a world full of known phone conventions.   This was both good and bad.  They could throw away some complications, but to be considered easy to learn, Apple also had to include certain items that would be understandable to people who'd been using cell phones for years.  

One of the primary user symbols is the Answer/Send button.   From the very first brick sized cell phone, a green handset has been its icon.   

The handset symbol has been used in different orientations over the years.  A left-leaning handset was favored by HTC on most of their phones, for example, as shown above.  Others used a different orientation, but left looked good.  Even Apple later picked the same left orientation as HTC, instead of picking something unique to themselves.

Now, good design meant that when moving that common symbol to an icon with a background color, it made the most sense to switch to a white handset on a green background.   And sure enough, that's what Skype did before the iPhone, and so did Windows Mobile dialer skin makers years even before them:

In fact, the left-learning white handset on green background symbol had been used enough that Apple could not trademark the original plain version they showed at the iPhone introduction.    Apple had to add background stripes to their trademark application in order to make it unique enough to register:

So, yes, Apple used a phone symbol that people would immediately understand from past experience.   They did not go out on a limb and invent something entirely new, not even close.

You say all this stuff like it changes the fact that Samsung ripped off Apple's phone icon. It doesn't.

BTW, when are we getting details on your touch screen and browser engine development? 

• Reply 117 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You say all this stuff like it changes the fact that Samsung ripped off Apple's phone icon. It doesn't.

BTW, when are we getting details on your touch screen and browser engine development? 

Samsung ripped off many things from Apple's iPhone:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102317767/Samsung-Relative-Evaluation-Report-on-S1-iPhone

• Reply 118 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Samsung ripped off many things from Apple's iPhone:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102317767/Samsung-Relative-Evaluation-Report-on-S1-iPhone

Well, yes, pretty much everything they could.