Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 203
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    Why not?

J.

The bezel on the 9.7" is there for a reason: to hold it with one hand and type with the other. They removed the bezel on the mini so you can hold it in the palm of your hand instead of holing the bezel on the side, unlike competitors tablets.
  • Reply 62 of 203
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It is called a correction which happens to grossly overpriced stocks. When speculators start to take interest in a stock volatility will result. As for doing something it is called selling more product than they ever have.
    AAPL wasn't an overpriced stock. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 63 of 203
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    The iPad "4" is perfect - for reading AI forums :).
  • Reply 64 of 203
    They can release as many new models as they like, as long as they don't abandon older models any sooner...
  • Reply 65 of 203
    pjapk wrote: »
    They can release as many new models as they like, as long as they don't abandon older models any sooner...

Looking at the recent introduction of the iMac, I say they can. And do.
  • Reply 66 of 203
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, yeah. And I see twice a year for tablets, too. But not yet. ARM isn't moving fast enough.

ARM would be very unwise to move any faster than it currently does. Releasing a new architecture of processors every six months would be a nightmare for its customers. It takes time and effort to support each new generation, especially for SoC designs.

Even Intel only ever releases a maximum of one new architecture each year. The current Sandy/Ivy Bridge architecture has been around two years.

• Reply 67 of 203
    I'm not sure the 6 month cycle is great. Apple has been able to command a premium in part because the products had an enduring "I've got the latest" cache. A 6 month cycle actually encourages people to wait for the next upgrade (and then maybe the next), and even then it's not clear as many people will be prepared to pay the premium for something that'll soon be "the old model".

That said, this applies more to a new March mini, since the iPad 4 wasn't really a new iPad (just a speed bump). I skipped the mini because what I really want is a proper iPad (i.e. retina and power) with mini-like design (slimmed bevels, and noticeably lighter).
  • Reply 68 of 203
    Stop making it thinner. Put in an improved battery and more GPGPU power.
  • Reply 69 of 203
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

A bit OT but it's 11pm Christmas Eve in Australia now, I wonder how many (many, many) people will be getting iPads in the morning?

Place your bets... will the App Store go down tomorrow?

• Reply 70 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) You have been informed of and shown choices of physical and wireless options for transferring images from a camera to an iPad but instead of acknowledging that you are instead slinging insults?
    I was mistaken on the lightning to SD reader- didnt know it existed. What the link was to was the 30-pin adapter version. And Wifi is absolutely no way to transfer a large amount of photos. At all.

2) So now it's not about having the capability but having something faster than wireless and yet their Lightning to SD Card Reader and Lightning to USB Adapter options aren't good enough for you? Seriously?
    see #1

3) Yes, you can DSLRs with WiFi as well as memory cards that contain WiFi.
    So now I have to buy the Canon 6D. That's it. Outside of that, you have to buy an adapter. Yes, there is the Eye Fi- but only in standard SD- no compact Flash. So you'd have to get that adapter too- which is buggy at best. Regardless, again, wifi isn't the option.

4) If you are a "professional" photographer you would already know what options are available and wouldn't be complaining about it on this forum.
    first- I'm not. My wife is. 2nd- how would I know? We're talking about transferring to a freakin iPad- something no professional would do. So again- how would you know all options to transfer pictures to an iPad to edit?

I was wrong about the SD reader. Again- TS sent a link with the 30-pin. I didn't know there was a lightning version. And wifi is not the answer- at all. But there is an answer- the adapter. Although if you use compact flash- you're screwed unless you go with buggy third parties or transfer via USB (which is slooow). But regardless- I was wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 203
    palegolas wrote: »
    iOS isn't that bad. Mac OS X however is in crisis. Apple simply just stopped optimising Mac OS X. :-(
    But yeah, they should be optimising iOS too.. But I think it's time to put Mac OS X first for a while.
    What are some examples of how OSX isn't optimized?
    I, personally, think Mountain Lion is absolutely fantastic. I though Lion was also- maybe a little slower, but feature rich with thinks like iCloud. It's still heads and shoulders better than any other PC OS. But I love to hear ideas.
  • Reply 72 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Or... the next iPad will debut in the fall on '13
  • Reply 73 of 203
    Refresh is good but if the only innovation is making things thinner and lighter, I am not so sure if it's worth it.
  • Reply 74 of 203
    ireland wrote: »
    Or... the next iPad will debut in the fall on '13

You know that's not how it works. It's spring, then when that doesn't happen, it's summer. Then when that doesn't happen, it's fall. And then rumor sites like Apple Insider can quote them as having a "hit and miss record".

• Reply 75 of 203
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    alexn wrote: »
    The iPad "4" is perfect - for reading AI forums :).

Depends on your definition of perfect. In my opinion iPad is a collection of compromises. I do like my iPad mini and rarely use my iPad 3 but it is far from perfect. People who try to force the iPad into activities that it was never designed for like the "professional" wedding photographer guy, just make me laugh. iPad might be ok as a presentation device but I find it difficult to imagine importing huge RAW files for editing unless you are some sort of masochist. IPad is convenient only because it is lightweight and portable not because it excels at computing tasks.
  • Reply 76 of 203
    I don't see it, the ipad 4th gen was made because ipad 3 was not balance. The GPU was not powerful enough for the retina display. IMHO apple will be back on a year release squedule. Right before Christmas...
  • Reply 77 of 203
    Keeping up with iPads is no longer possible. I went from v1 to v3. Maybe v5 if I can get rid of v3. iPhones are all bought with v1 to v2, v1 to wife; v2 to v3, v2 to wife, v1 to grandson, etc, etc, etc. Laptops until Applecare runs out; desktops until next MacPro magically appears.

All paid for with profits and dividends from AAPL.
  • Reply 78 of 203

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

ARM would be very unwise to move any faster than it currently does. Releasing a new architecture of processors every six months would be a nightmare for its customers. It takes time and effort to support each new generation, especially for SoC designs.

Okay, which is why going to a 6-month update cycle is really stupid. They'll be releasing two devices with the same architecture, which doesn't have a whole lot of point.

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Stop making it thinner. Put in an improved battery and more GPGPU power.

See, you and I? We're a dying breed. People demand it get thinner because their hands can't manage the thickness now. People demand it get lighter because they're too weak to hold anything heavier than an iPad mini. 

It's unfathomable. They'd rather have a single sheet of notepad paper than an entire college-ruled binder. And that metaphor extends beyond size to capability.

Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

…the iPad 4th gen was made because ipad 3 was not balance. The GPU was not powerful enough for the retina display. 

Wrong.

• Reply 79 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I believe this rumor. Apple is trying to be super aggressive with tablets. It isn't going to go a year without an update. 

I agree. One of Steve Job's many axioms was. "To be successful in Tech you have to be ten years ahead of the competition."

At the time he said this, he thought Apple was about five years ahead.

I think this is one of the reasons Apple is so aggressive with the model updates. It certainly is widening the gap between the iPad and the other tablet makers. The Surface looks a mess...and their recent Surface commercial with all the "clicking" of the moving parts of the Surface is just plain nauseating.

• Reply 80 of 203
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I wonder how long until iPad photo editing replaces a MacBook (professionally as well as the ability to mass edit- weddings, etc). Of course, you'd have to find a way to get the photos to the iPad from your camera ...

I don't understand this comment.  In the first place, the "way to get photos from your camera to the iPad" was invented with iPad 1.0, it's called a card reader and an SD card (with or without wi-fi).  Secondly, you can already edit photos on an iPad with all the same features and functions as something like iPhoto or Aperture.  iPhoto on the iPad has the exact same corrective capabilities as it's OS-X cousins.  

As to which method is better, and which is faster, you'd have to ask a wedding photographer who's already switched, but in terms of being possible, it already is and has been for a while.