Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 203
    Prediction - there will be a glut of iPad minis on eBay once a retina version comes out a year later than it should have to begin with. I returned one- the screen was awful. Better reading on an iPhone. I'm surprised it's selling so well. Must be preferred by the ladies.

Well, that's Apple. “Selling tablets to those who don’t know better.”

Oh, welcome to the forum
  • Reply 102 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, that's Apple. “Selling tablets to those who don’t know better.”

Oh, welcome to the forum

You could say that's true to some extent. We're still using an iPad v1. Acknowledging that there is a better screen out there would also mean my bank account would be minus a few bucks.

So I'd imagine that an iPad Mini would look just fine to me.  image

• Reply 103 of 203

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're right. The iPad Mini is far more expensive than the iPad 4. imageimage

Ah, you WERE believing that, then. Okay, take it as me refuting nonsense, then, not as agreement.

So how in the world would you conclude that the Mini would cost more to make than the iPad 4?

I dunno, but at least I didn't do that.

Originally Posted by bodaciousone View Post

…a retina version comes out a year later than it should have to begin with.

Except no, that's not how it works.

• Reply 104 of 203
    Prediction - there will be a glut of iPad minis on eBay once a retina version comes out a year later than it should have to begin with. I returned one- the screen was awful. Better reading on an iPhone. I'm surprised it's selling so well. Must be preferred by the ladies.

1) eBay and Craig's List are always heavy with one gen old Apple gear after the new one launches.

2) Why are you so certain the Retina iPad mini will be out "a year later"? I see no evidence to support that and plenty of circumstantial evidence to suggest that it might not happen until 2014.

3) How can anyone say the iPad mini should have come out with a Retina display without actually stating how that is possible giving the weight, cost, and battery life? Surely anyone who is posting on this, a technical, forum would have considered those aspects of the device and what a 326 PPI 2048x1536 display would do... or am I expecting too much?

4) Why is the screen awful? It's the same resolution as the iPad they were selling less than a year ago, but with a higher PPI. Not as good as the iPad (3) or (4) is not as the same as it being awful. Why would ladies like this awful display if you don't? Are you implying ladies have poor taste in electronics compared to dudes?
  • Reply 105 of 203
    In your mind only.

If you have some proof then please present it. If not, then I would encourage you to withdrawal the accusation. You don't have to agree with his comments and you make any counter argument you wish but I don't see how saying he's just trolling is in any way a valid or reasonable rebuttal for any position he's taken.

PS: If he is an admin that is trolling then why haven't your accusations been deleted?
  • Reply 106 of 203

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: If he is an admin that is trolling then why haven't your accusations been deleted?

I tried to switch my user title to "Cathartic Anger Outlet", but it takes up two lines.image

EDIT: Well, look at that.

• Reply 107 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

They need to do something quick. Stock prices are plummeting.

Great. Soon I'll be able to buy in. Please sell!

• Reply 108 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I tried to switch my user title to "Cathartic Anger Outlet", but it takes up two lines.image

Well, you do mix up Latin and Greek. You'd be faster using chinese ideograms at that rate ^^

• Reply 109 of 203
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I tried to switch my user title to "Cathartic Anger Outlet", but it takes up two lines.:lol:

Anybody who gets Gazoob and hermit riled up is ok in my book.

Congrats on the new title, but yer mixing Greek and Latin. Can anyone help out with the Greek? "Mega" something or other . . .

Edit: lightknight beat me to it.
  • Reply 110 of 203

Quote:

4) Why is the screen awful? It's the same resolution as the iPad they were selling less than a year ago, but with a higher PPI. Not as good as the iPad (3) or (4) is not as the same as it being awful. Why would ladies like this awful display if you don't? Are you implying ladies have poor taste in electronics compared to dudes?

I find the iPad 1&2 resolution quite awful, to be honest. That's why I never got one.

• Reply 111 of 203

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Well, you do mix up Latin and Greek.

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Congrats on the new title, but yer mixing Greek and Latin.

Christmas is a time of things coming together. image

• Reply 112 of 203

Quote:

Because I'm right?

(... and besides, what have the two got to do with each other image)

• Reply 113 of 203

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Because I'm right?

????

• Reply 114 of 203
    Because I'm right?

So to prove you wrong he can ban you? I'm not sure you want to take that stance.
  • Reply 115 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Well, you do mix up Latin and Greek. You'd be faster using chinese ideograms at that rate ^^
    flaneur wrote: »
    Anybody who gets Gazoob and hermit riled up is ok in my book.
    Congrats on the new title, but yer mixing Greek and Latin. Can anyone help out with the Greek? "Mega" something or other . . .
    Edit: lightknight beat me to it.

Then it's my fault. Google Translate has a translation into Latin as Catharticum but that's modern Latin. It would depend on the timeframe when the word was borrowed into Latin. I don't know when that was and we all know that languages evolve and that borrowed words retain their original spellings for a spell. The OAD3 lists the word's origin in English as "early 19th century from Greek katharsis, from kathairein ‘cleanse,’ from katharos ‘pure.’ We know that words taken into Latin were given 'C' instead of the Greek Kappa 'K' but there are exceptions — there are always exceptions — especially when the word comes from a different language group. Personally, I like the K and there is nothing wrong with English speakers mixing languages... for reasons that are obvious.
  • Reply 116 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I don't understand this comment., you can already edit photos on an iPad with all the same features and functions as something like iPhoto or Aperture.  iPhoto on the iPad has the exact same corrective capabilities as it's OS-X cousins.  
    No- you can't. You can't batch edit like in aperture. Say you want to add a certain contrast and sharpness for all shots taken inside during the reception outside in natural light- you can do it to hundreds at one time on aperture. Can't on iPad.
  • Reply 117 of 203

Quote:

So to prove you wrong he can ban you? I'm not sure you want to take that stance.

Personally I don't give a f*ck if that's the stance an administrator takes because someone thinks he's a troll.

I know you think you have a lock on reason and logic, Solipsism... but sadly that just isn't so.

• Reply 118 of 203
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) eBay and Craig's List are always heavy with one gen old Apple gear after the new one launches.
    2) Why are you so certain the Retina iPad mini will be out "a year later"? I see no evidence to support that and plenty of circumstantial evidence to suggest that it might not happen until 2014.
    3) How can anyone say the iPad mini should have come out with a Retina display without actually stating how that is possible giving the weight, cost, and battery life? Surely anyone who is posting on this, a technical, forum would have considered those aspects of the device and what a 326 PPI 2048x1536 display would do... or am I expecting too much?

The Nook, Kindle and Nexus- all have better screens so not sure you know what what you're talking about.
    More purses exist than manpurses. My 9 incher fits quite nicely in both my gym bag and/or nap sack.
    This is a technical forum? What- with all the gossip, opinionated bitchiness and speculation I've read?
    Was that supposed to be a joke?
    Merry Christmas.
  • Reply 119 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Personally I don't give a f*ck if that's the stance an administrator takes because someone thinks he's a troll.

I know you think you have a lock on reason and logic, Solipsism... but sadly that just isn't so.

1) So he's an administrative shill if he lets you slander him and he's one if he removes your comments? How can you have it both ways... and without any evidence? Look, I disagree with TS all the time (including this very thread) but in no way do I think he's being paid by AI to generate more clicks by trolling. If you think differently that's your choice but at least try to provide something that resembles a reasonable argument to defend your point.

2) Now your making claims about what I think? I certainly try to be as objective and scientific as possible in everything I do but I'll be the first to tell you that I fall very far from that goal every day. I do at least make my best effort to obtain that goal.
  • Reply 120 of 203
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Ah, you WERE believing that, then. Okay, take it as me refuting nonsense, then, not as agreement.

You just used what is known as a straw man argument. You can't beat my argument, so you create some stupid argument and pretend that I made it.

No one ever said that size is the ONLY factor in price. What I said was that:

The CPU in the Mini is less expensive
    The screen in the Mini is less expensive
    The case in the Mini is less expensive
    The battery in the Mini is less expensive
    Everything else is either less expensive or the same.

So what is it that make the Mini more expensive to manufacture as you are claiming?