Jobs family yacht freed as payment dispute is resolved

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A financial dispute with designer Philippe Starck has been resolved and the mega-yacht commissioned by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is now free to leave the dock where it was previously impounded.

A lawyer representing the Jobs family told French newspaper Le Monde via The Next Web) that a resolution has been reached between them and Starck. As a result, the yacht is now free to leave the dock it is stationed at in the Netherlands.

The yacht was sequestered by lawyers last week in Amsterdam over the financial dispute, in which Starck believed he was due 9 million euros, while the Jobs family felt he was owed 6 million euros. The terms of the final agreement between Starck and Jobs' heirs is unknown, but it was suggested that the designer did not receive as much as he was asking for.

The boat was reportedly built on a mutual trust between Jobs and Starck, and the contract between them was not very detailed. Jobs began designing the ship, named "Venus," after returning from a cruise that traveled from Italy to Turkey.

The super yacht was first revealed in October. Word of the yacht was first revealed by Starck himself in April, though it wasn't seen until months later.

The 80-meter-long ship is made completely of aluminum, with huge plate windows covering the wheelhouse and main deck entrances. The yacht relies on 27-inch iMacs for navigation, systems control and other seafaring software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Good! Now that lawyer can get back to working out the WiFi bugs in iOS 6¡
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Such a shame that the poor guy never got to enjoy it.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Poor guy?
  • Reply 4 of 46

"poor guy" ha!!!??? I though he was a multi billionaire with multi billion dollar company. I need to do some reseach again.imageimage

• Reply 5 of 46

Originally Posted by Waxzman408 View Post

I though he was a multi billionaire with multi billion dollar company.

Your point being what?

I don't get it.

• Reply 6 of 46
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

"poor guy" ha!!!??? I though he was a multi billionaire with multi billion dollar company. I need to do some reseach again.imageimage

First, rich and poor isn't always about money.

Second, the expression "poor guy" is a colloquialism used to express sorrow over a person who fell upon some sort of misfortune or bad luck. I'd say dying at a relatively young age and being unable to enjoy something he'd been creating, not to mention the time with his family qualifies as being a "poor guy."

Finally, I suspect Steve Jobs would likely have traded his billions for more time. So now we loop back to the first point.

• Reply 7 of 46

WOT:

Want to see a brief look inside a computer store in November 1983 -- 2 months before the Mac was introduced and years before any Apple stores:

I was digging through some old video on an old Mac... and found this clip:

It's part of a 1984 movie that is available on YT in two parts:

The 24-second clip above appears at 2:55 in the first YT movie.

Apple and photographers took over our entire store for about  18 hours of filming.  First, they blocked the windows and doors with paper -- so passers-by couldn't see in -- then they took complete control -- moving things and people about at their whim.  The main people are actors, but there are quite a few of our employees... Everyone had to sign NDAs.  

Most of the Mac team was there... though, Jobs wasn't.  AIR, they only had 2 working Macs and a couple of strategically placed shells.

We posted a notice on the front door (a day earlier) telling customers that we were closed for an Apple filming session -- and routed anyone needing repairs to the back door of our repair facility, next door.

Several customers hung around the front of the store to see what they could see -- the only shots outside the store showed the [actor] customer carrying the Mac in its carry bag and placing it in the trunk of a car.

Anyway... 18 hours of filming and lost business...  for a 24-second video clip and various photos for ads and brochures...

Demanding... Hectic... Great Fun!

Well worth it!

Edit:  LOL... The [actor] salesman congratulating the [actor] customer on his Mac purchase -- then asking him "What are you going to use it for?"  That's not the way computers were sold back then.   Every one of our sales and support people were [at least] the equivalent of an Apple "Genius" for the products we sold -- and most had a background in business use of computers.

• Reply 8 of 46

Quote:

Rich is being alive to enjoy your success and to watch your family/children/grand children grow up.

I'd agree with the original poster, poor guy, he never got to enjoy his success or to see his family grow. 

You can't take it with you, you do realize that?

• Reply 9 of 46

I would add... that "rich" is the legacy you leave -- for those who follow to build upon.

• Reply 10 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

WOT:

Want to see a brief look inside a computer store in November 1983 -- 2 months before the Mac was introduced and years before any Apple stores:

Well worth it!

Well worth it, indeed.

The announcer's voice sounds uncannily like that of Ronald Reagan's!

• Reply 11 of 46
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Sorry Steve, but your yacht looks like the world's fanciest houseboat.

This is a yacht: the 118 WallyPower

If you've seen "The Island" (Scarlett Johansson, Ewan MacGregor, Michael Bay dir., 2004) you've seen the 118 WallyPower.

Triple gas turbine engines generate 16,800 hp for cruising at 60 knots.

Read more:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3534/picture/7345/

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/archive/wally118.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/118_WallyPower

• Reply 12 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Sorry Steve, but your yacht looks like the world's fanciest houseboat.

This is a yacht: the 118 WallyPower

[images]

If you've seen "The Island" (Scarlett Johansson, Ewan MacGregor, Michael Bay dir., 2004) you've seen the 118 WallyPower.
    Triple gas turbine engines generate 16,800 hp for cruising at 60 knots.

Read more:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3534/picture/7345/
    http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/archive/wally118.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/118_WallyPower

1) That is one of my favorites.

2) LOL Jobs's yacht does look a lot like a house boat but I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm not sure I want a boat can that go 60 knots if I'm also trying to relax on it.
  • Reply 13 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

WOT:

Well worth it!

Well worth it, indeed.

The announcer's voice sounds uncannily like that of Ronald Reagan's!

Ha!  Good catch!  Though... I think that Ronald Reagan had other things on his plate in 1983...

Also, it is interesting that those who prepared the video (from a VHS tape) didn't have the knowledge and/or capability of ducking the audio for the narrator's voice over...   This capability is available to anyone with iMovie on an iPhone or iPad.

• Reply 14 of 46
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member

Jobs liked to say that design is how it works, not how it looks. I guess he threw that out the window with this design. This design is purely driven by aesthetics and is completely at odds with how a boat works.

• Reply 15 of 46

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

This design is purely driven by aesthetics and is completely at odds with how a boat works.

Do you say this as a…?

• Reply 16 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Jobs liked to say that design is how it works, not how it looks. I guess he threw that out the window with this design. This design is purely driven by aesthetics and is completely at odds with how a boat works.

I don't love the aesthetics of this boat, but I don't see that it's at odds with how a boat works. Although, I will say that it looks better at the angle of the photo used in this article than previous shots I've seen of it. I still hate the stern, though.

• Reply 17 of 46
    @ Dick Applebaum - once again another great insight... Which I expect will be in the new book (hint)... Speaking of which, how's it coming along? ;)

And here's a shout out Merry Christmas and Frohe Weihnachten from the other side of the pond where we're already celebrating the night before. Above all:
    Peace.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I still hate the stern, though.

Frankly, the bow isn't helping either. There's a reason most bows are angled, it seems downright foolish to not angle the bow. This seems like doing something different only for the sake of doing something different.

Given how silly-austere it looks, the only thing keeping the exterior from looking like a hospital ship is a red cross.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Also, it is interesting that those who prepared the video (from a VHS tape) didn't have the knowledge and/or capability of ducking the audio for the narrator's voice over...   This capability is available to anyone with iMovie on an iPhone or iPad.

"Ducking" audio has been available for several decades to anyone with a decent analog compressor.

Just sayin'...

• Reply 20 of 46
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    It looks like it can't handle any rough seas. Looks like it belongs on a man man made lake that has no turbulent water. It's probably pretty nice inside though.