POP charger Kickstarter alive again after Apple revises Lightning accessory rules

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With Apple adapting its Made for iPhone rules to allow charging accessories with both Lightning and 30-pin connectors, the POP charger Kickstarter project is now back online.

Backers of the project were sent an e-mail on Monday to let them know the project is once again active, according to GigaOm. Jamie Siminoff, one of the project's founders, admitted he never thought Apple would have changed their minds.
As you know on Thursday we sent you an update that because of Apple?s rules around Lightning we would be canceling POP. The story got A LOT of news and reactions, way more than we could have ever imagined. In fact it became such big news that 24 hours after we posted Apple changed their guidelines for Lightning.

It was an incredible turn of events for us. We never could have imagined that we would be able to change Apple?s rules.

Based on Apple?s change we can make POP the way we had promised and the project is back on. We will not be processing refunds and are going full speed ahead to produce and deliver the product to you ASAP.
POP

The Kickstarter project had been effectively killed after it was discovered that the POP was not compatible with Apple's strict rules for Made for iPhone, iPad and iPod devices. But the cancelation of the project, which had raised nearly $140,000 from the crowd-funding website, gained considerable attention online.

After users expressed frustration over Apple's rules, the company changed course and revised its Made for iDevice guidelines. Under the new rules, third-party manufacturers can build accessories with the LIghtning connector in conjunction with legacy 30-pin adapters.

Even after the change, Siminoff initially said he was not planning to resurrect the POP project and refunds would be issued to all customers. But Siminoff apparently had a change of heart since then, as the e-mail sent out Monday indicated no refunds will be issued and the project will continue forward.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46

It's a battery, folks. A battery. We'll somehow find the will to live whether or not it makes it through the entire development and manufacturing process.

• Reply 2 of 46

At this point, I truly could care less about this whining start up.

• Reply 3 of 46

As someone noted in a prior thread, it would have been a far more useful product if it had a USB out and allowed the user to bring his/her own cable.

• Reply 4 of 46
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's a battery, folks. A battery. We'll somehow find the will to live whether or not it makes it through the entire development and manufacturing process.

A $140 battery...

...screw that.

• Reply 5 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At this point, I truly could care less about this whining start up.

At this point, I truly hate when people misuse this expression.

How much less could you care?  Do you care so much less that, in fact, it's one of the most important things in your life?

If you could not care less, well, then I'd understand.

• Reply 6 of 46

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

"I couldn't care less… what's in a chocolate mousse…

I couldn't care less… what're the five fruits in Five Alive juice…

I couldn't care less… how old are Ernie and Bert…

I couldn't care less… what's under K.D. Lang's skirt…"

• Reply 7 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I couldn't care less… what's under Katie Lang's skirt…"

And if I could care less... would I?

• Reply 8 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I couldn't care less… what's under Katie Lang's skirt…"

That was hilarious. Kudos to you, fine sir.

• Reply 9 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This whole could/couldn't care less thing is too common. Sometimes the writer doesn't know better but sometimes they just forget to add the negative clause. Regardless of the reason it never seem to help the original conversation to stay on track when noting it. I vote that the entire phrase be forever removed from English and replaced with something easier and simpler but that still retains the same meaning. I vote for [I]Meh[/I].
  • Reply 10 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    As someone noted in a prior thread, it would have been a far more useful product if it had a USB out and allowed the user to bring his/her own cable.
    It does. It has several USB ports.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    So much digital ink has been written about this particular device... primarily because of the scandal.

But is this the only large battery charging station in existence?

I mean... if this device never gets made through Kickstarter... are there any other ones like it?

Is it THAT big of a deal? Or are we just reading about it because of Apple's policies?
  • Reply 12 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So much digital ink has been written about this particular device... primarily because of the scandal.
    But is this the only large battery charging station in existence?
    I mean... if this device never gets made through Kickstarter... are there any other ones like it?

Is it THAT big of a deal? Or are we just reading about it because of Apple's policies?

Apple policies all the way, but it's a landmark nonetheless.
  • Reply 13 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

How much less could you care?  Do you care so much less that, in fact, it's one of the most important things in your life?

If you could not care less, well, then I'd understand.

It's not a misuse, numbnuts. It's imply a complete state of indifference.

I could have stated, ``I couldn't care less'' inferring an absolute state of finality. I intentionally implied instead of emphatically declaring a state of finality, by my use of ``At this point,'' a state of indifference.

Whether the overpriced company gets its way or not means no difference to me. It's a useless article.

• Reply 14 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This whole could/couldn't care less thing is too common. Sometimes the writer doesn't know better but sometimes they just forget to add the negative clause. Regardless of the reason it never seem to help the original conversation to stay on track when noting it. I vote that the entire phrase be forever removed from English and replaced with something easier and simpler but that still retains the same meaning. I vote for Meh.

Meh.

• Reply 15 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meh.

Oh, Merry Christmas, all!image

• Reply 16 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There is some character set silliness going on here, all the apostrophes are showing up as question marks.
  • Reply 17 of 46

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There is some character set silliness going on here, all the apostrophes are showing up as question marks.

Yeah, since the Huddler switch most articles have their ' and " (and - and —… I CAN'T EVEN TYPE AN EN DASH HERE BECAUSE THE SHORTCUT IS TAKEN OVER BY THE BOX) show up as question marks. It's a character set translation error that should be easy to fix, but hasn't been. 

I generally edit articles to remove them, but I missed a few.

• Reply 18 of 46

Meh

• Reply 19 of 46
    I could care for it...(wait for it)...(wait for it)...even LESSER!
  • Reply 20 of 46

I could care more.