POP charger Kickstarter alive again after Apple revises Lightning accessory rules

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

If you could care less, then at least you care some.

Saying "I could care less" is American slang that's been around since the 1960s.

It's not meant to be taken literally.

It has the same kind of implied opposite meaning as when people sarcastically say "Yeah, right"  or  "Oh, sure" or "Uh huh, I really believe that!"  or "I should be so lucky!"  (while rolling eyes),

It probably comes from the 1950s expression, "I suppose I could care less, but I don’t see how", and got shortened along the way.

In any case, it's even in the Oxford dictionary as an American colloquialism, so leave its users alone image   

• Reply 42 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Saying "I could care less" is American slang that's been around since the 1960s.

It's not meant to be taken literally.

It has the same kind of implied opposite meaning as when people sarcastically say "Yeah, right"  or  "Oh, sure" or "Uh huh, I really believe that!"  or "I should be so lucky!"  (while rolling eyes),

You're conflating a common usage with an ironic usage. It's very rare to see someone write I could care less with a clear implication that they really don't care at all ust as it's rare to see someone write I couldn't care less with a clear implication that they could care a whole lot more.

Note that the written use of the could care less to mean not caring at all did come in the 60s, but it was about a decade after the logical phrasing was used. Do you have any evidence to suggest it was down ironically? I certainly don't and I've looked for it.

Regardless, language is filled with accepted errors because semi-illeiterate folk far outnumber the educated so if someone in language gets used enough then it ain't be uncorrect. However, when it comes to an illogical usage that changes the meaning because of the lack of a negative clause then it becomes important to know the meaning and shoehorning sardonicism as an explanation can only take you so far.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    This one created a lot of heat. And to someone who called it a 'whining startup' %u2013 what makes you say that? They did a good job: they were (and are) the first to produce a device that a lot of people need. And they're doing a great job of it. The guys behind the startup had a big blow dealt to them by Apple and luckily, Apple retracted and changed the rules of the game only because they realized their folly.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    kolchak wrote: »
    And yet, inexplicably, a whole lot of suckers... uh, backers funded the silly thing to the tune of $139k. Go figure.

I don't know if that's fair. Just because you or I don't see the use case doesn't mean there isn't a valid one.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Siminoff seems like a goof to me. The device does have two USB ports on the bottom, accommodating the existing USB-to-Lightning cables that people would already have. This was clearly a publicity stunt to get more attention to the device. Yes, it helped to "mature" the guidelines for Lightning, but it was still nothing more than a stunt. People that have contributed their money to this project should let Siminoff know that his tactics and attitude are pathetic.
  • Reply 46 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post

This one created a lot of heat. And to someone who called it a 'whining startup' %u2013 what makes you say that? They did a good job: they were (and are) the first to produce a device that a lot of people need. And they're doing a great job of it. The guys behind the startup had a big blow dealt to them by Apple and luckily, Apple retracted and changed the rules of the game only because they realized their folly.

It wasn't a "big blow" dealt to them by Apple. They changed the specs of the device after Lightning was announced, and then whined and cried because they weren't actually allowed to do that according to the new Lightning guidelines. To cancel the project suddenly because of that and then blame Apple was a childish tactic to get publicity. Nothing more. Apple was the mature one and updated the guidelines to allow "changing" accessories to have both types of connectors. It was a use case that was missing from the guidelines and was brought to light by this project. Siminoff's behavior and attitude really show his true colors. He hasn't earned my respect.