iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone sales

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    drewys808 wrote: »
    ...because of the need to maintain or surpass critical mass.

It's a balancing act of quality and quantity.  In terms of quantity...in the case of the Android platform (and less so, in terms of a hardware company, like Samsung) that critical mass target is a moving target.  There comes a point where Apple knows it must compete with almost survival-like instinct to establish enough of a customer base or risk losing market share in one or many product lines.

But in general,  I agree that Apple does not NEED to increase market share at the moment, other than specific demographics/geographies,  like Spain.

Good point about critical mass... although it can be argued that Apple has a knack for developing huge interest despite not being the "leader" in a certain area.

Even if the smartphone market ended up being 90% Android and 10% Apple.... there would still be a few hundred million iPhones out there at that point. And most of those users would have their credit cards in iTunes... and developers would still be selling tons of apps... etc.

My point all along was that Apple doesn't need to have a large number on the market share chart... or even a significant number... to be successful.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    My point all along was that Apple doesn't need to have a large number on the market share chart... or even a significant number... to be successful.

Agreed, though it is a pity the iPhone 5, to me, wasn't more innovative (besides the very good physical design) and that the iPad mini, to me, wasn't Retina.
  • Reply 84 of 89

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

hm.

what?

wait a minute!

Yeah, it's called not reading the article to know the first guy is talking about OS and the second is talking about smartphones. Coupled with differences in timing and differences in scope, you're gonna get terribly off answers like that.

• Reply 85 of 89
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Anyways:

www.insidermonkey.com/blog/massive-differential-in-apple-inc-aapls-iphone-market-share-estimates-33373/

hm.

what?

wait a minute!

Rubbish article!

Kantar numbers are US smartphone sales.

ComScore is US smartphone subscribers. ie user base.

It's not rocket science.

• Reply 86 of 89
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, it's called not reading the article to know the first guy is talking about OS and the second is talking about smartphones. Coupled with differences in timing and differences in scope, you're gonna get terribly off answers like that.

Methinks you should take your own advice.

My advice. Think more. Post less.

• Reply 87 of 89

Originally Posted by piot View Post

Methinks you should take your own advice.

I'm referencing his article.

• Reply 88 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

Rubbish article!

Kantar numbers are US smartphone sales.

ComScore is US smartphone subscribers. ie user base.

It's not rocket science.

You are absolutely right. Apologies from my side.

Kantar = US 3 months sales 

comScore = US market share

Still some perspectives given, although poorly written.

• Reply 89 of 89

You are absolutely right. Apologies from my side.

Kantar = US 3 months sales 

comScore = US market share

Still some perspectives given, although poorly written.

They need to do better research before they print it =/