Customers say Apple's online store has become less satisfying to shop

Comments

• Reply 41 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, but, almost without exception, no one who isn't planning to bash Apple in their post states things like, "I own 3 of every Apple product ever released."

It's done to inoculate themselves from being accused of trolling. "How can I be a troll if I own all these Apple products?" It's a variation of concern trolling.

Some of them are actually not trolling, sometimes they're just not up to the sycophantic standards of others. [this is not a jab at you]

• Reply 42 of 142
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Well, but, almost without exception, no one who isn't planning to bash Apple in their post states things like, "I own 3 of every Apple product ever released."

It's done to inoculate themselves from being accused of trolling. "How can I be a troll if I own all these Apple products?" It's a variation of concern trolling.
    Exactly. That was my point.
  • Reply 43 of 142
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    It has changed a bit cosmetically though difficult to navigate? Please.

The only thing that might make it a bit easier is a more direct link such as store . apple . com /imac/order . html or something instead of php or whatever they're using now.
  • Reply 44 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Some of them are actually not trolling, sometimes they're just not up to the sycophantic standards of others. [this is not a jab at you]

Being critical of Apple, if and when criticism is justified, isn't trolling, but, most people don't bother listing the Apple products they own when they do that. It's definitely a red flag that the poster is likely a variant concern troll.

• Reply 45 of 142
    This is so dumb. I'm not saying there isn't always a better way to do things. I just think this article and the research it's based on are a bit pointless. These sites all do different things. They should each focus on why they are doing and just do it simple and well. One click up or down is not going to have such an impact on people's lives. Being confusing is. Apple insider had been shit lately. Post some opinionated articles about the future moves apple might make instead if just reporting rumors from every inch of the Internet it's boring and uninteresting.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this. If you think otherwise I would love to hear others opinions.
  • Reply 46 of 142

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If they're not trolling, it doesn't need to be said. If the complaint is a valid one, it will stand on its own as it is, without any "proof of ownership" for "legitimacy".

• Reply 47 of 142
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Perhaps Apple's online store experience has gone down, but I don't feel Amazon's is superior at all. I often find myself confused and lost on that site. Not easy to browse, you need to know what you're looking for. When you find something, details are scattered on the page. It isn't sectioned off very well. I prefer sites like Newegg and Sonic Electronix. But hey, I'm just one amoeba in a sea of creatures.

how is it not easy to browse? they have categories you can browse through

• Reply 48 of 142
    In my opinion, they have a splash page with 6 categories (giant icons). 2 rows of 3:

1. Shop iPhone
    2. Shop iPod
    3. Shop iPad
    4. Shop Mac
    5. Accessories
    6. Clearance

(Text links underneath for Education / Corporate Portal Pricing Sales/Support)

Save all those promo Ads until you reach the portal you selected, and have all the details below instead of everything crammed together.
  • Reply 49 of 142
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    When it comes to purchasing big-ticket items like their macs and phones, it's just fine. It's the little stuff like accessories that have a lot to be desired in terms of navigation. Just too many clicks to find anything of interest.

This is where Amazon does a good job. I could find the tiniest little thing with zero problem, and arguably get more detail about that accessory than what is available on Apple's site.

There is definitely room for improvement.
  • Reply 50 of 142

As a bit of an aside, I'm with Fido in Canada, and updated my iPhone to 6.0.2. Yesterday I went to use my wifi hotspot for the first time since the upgrade, to tether my iPad, and nothing happened. I went to try it again, and the option for 'personal hotspot' was gone! Anyone else have encountered this? 

• Reply 51 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If they're not trolling, it doesn't need to be said. If the complaint is a valid one, it will stand on its own as it is, without any "proof of ownership" for "legitimacy".

Yeah, right.

• Reply 52 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Being critical of Apple, if and when criticism is justified, isn't trolling, but, most people don't bother listing the Apple products they own when they do that. It's definitely a red flag that the poster is likely a variant concern troll.

From the many instances I have seen I would say that the actual trolls are well in the minority and it seems that many times the person is criticized more for listing their credentials than for what they actually have to say.

... but, yes, I do see what you are saying.

• Reply 53 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

When it comes to purchasing big-ticket items like their macs and phones, it's just fine. It's the little stuff like accessories that have a lot to be desired in terms of navigation. Just too many clicks to find anything of interest.

This is where Amazon does a good job. I could find the tiniest little thing with zero problem, and arguably get more detail about that accessory than what is available on Apple's site.

There is definitely room for improvement.

Here's an area where Apple could certainly improve its store...

Go here,

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adapter-for-macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro

Now, change the product to the 45 or 85W power adapter. (Right side, below Add to Cart.) Notice that the information at the top of the page, and the "Ratings & Reviews", changes to the power adapter you selected. However, the "Overview" section still describes the 60W adapter and the "Questions & Answers" section remains the same.

• Reply 54 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

Just hire the person from Amazon

You forgot the /s tag

Nothing drastically has changed. My only quibble is the product reviews which sometimes review from the same author being placed side by side under different headings e.g. under 'Most helpful' and Most recent'.

Seriously, of all my e-commerce sites, Amazon is the most difficult to navigate, search and narrow down in my book. Period/
  • Reply 55 of 142
    The number one reason I HATE amazon.com is that on at least three occasions, I have ordered a product listed as available, and was informed it would take 7 to 14 days... only to receive a notice 10 days later that it was no longer available.

• Reply 56 of 142
    "customers apparently feel Apple's expanded product lineup %u2014 which has added products such as the iPad in recent years %u2014 has become an issue."

Meaning what?
  • Reply 57 of 142
    I have to disagree with people having issues finding cases for the iphone 5 I just tried to find one for my wifes new iphone 5 and it is literally 3 clicks from the main page to list all iphone 5 cases. less if you do a search. Apples sight is super easy to find things on and to purchase if anything since last year it has become easier to find what you need.

For iphone 5 cases from the main apple page click store, then under iphone on the left click cases, then click iphone 5. thats it. It lists all of the cases and pictures of them for iphone 5. I agree with the other posters above that people were upset that they could not get an iphone 5 for weeks because of demand and rated apples sight low because of it.

Oh and as for amazon's sight i find it a confusing mess that is hard to navigate and to find things on. Also I dislike it shoving what you have looked at in your face and annoying emails shoving the same thing in your in box.
  • Reply 58 of 142

The headline borders on trolling.

It should be changed to reflect that a "survey" offers up these claims.

• Reply 59 of 142
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Maybe the survey's authors and AI should start with some statistics. Last year was 83 and this year was 80. With an error margin of /- 2% (estimated), it's not meaningful to say that the scores are down.
  • Reply 60 of 142

I wouldn't put much stock in this report.  It seemed obvious to me from the preliminary report ranking Amazon as number 1 and one of the high end designer sites as near that bottom that the survey must have heavily weighted price.  If they are forthcoming I guess that it will turn out that they changed their ranking to more heavily rate price this year than last.  

Jim