Rumor: Apple to bring Mac mini production to U.S. in 2013

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    As long as the quality does not suffer and price does not go up, I am fine with it.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hudson1 wrote: »
    From a totally different angle and admitting I'm not a tax expert.... the USA has high corporate tax rates and the Mac mini is believed to be a low margin product.  Maybe the tax implications to Apple are better for USA production of the mini instead of a high margin model.

That sounds like a reasonable argument/hypothesis to me.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    ksec wrote: »
    What financial benefits does it have when product are made in US?

Higher pay for Cook once in Office¡
    iftekhar wrote: »
    just wondering why you guys are posting old news?!

Because that is still more informative than your post.
    winter wrote: »
    Looking forward to having a Mac made in the US.

Patriotism aside, why are you looking forward to this? I don't think the hardware and quality won't change as a result.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Once I saw the word"Digitimes" I just had to post. Almost laughable!!
  • Reply 25 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Once I saw the word"Digitimes" I just had to post. Almost laughable!!

True. Yet, fwiw, their recent reporting has been moving markets. CNBC has become their megaphone.

• Reply 26 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

True. Yet, fwiw, their recent reporting has been moving markets. CNBC has become their megaphone.

It's sad what passes for journalism in this country these days.

• Reply 27 of 39
    I'd be a bit more impressed if these news stories didn't claim that Foxconn would be building these factories. That leaves the real executive and technical expertise off-shore, with Americans--and very few of them in automated factories--merely providing the labor.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Perhaps that is why the Mini lost it's GPU. They are trying to make it as simple as possible to build, for their new US-based automated factory.

That is my point. They are basically saying transportation cost are going to go up in the future with no signs of any decline. Automated Factory will be much cheaper then the labour cost in long run, and the Design for Mac Mini will be dead for next 3 - 4 years and no tooling is required.

And Mac Mini is currently being used in Cooperate market and server market where both market aren't selling well in Asia, and little in Europe.

• Reply 29 of 39
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Looking forward to having a Mac made in the US. Now all I need is for a TV or monitor to be made here and I'm set.

Nothing good ever came from Nationalism.  Not one thing.  

• Reply 30 of 39
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I'd be a bit more impressed if these news stories didn't claim that Foxconn would be building these factories. That leaves the real executive and technical expertise off-shore, with Americans--and very few of them in automated factories--merely providing the labor.

That's pretty much the way it is and the way things have been going for many years now though.  If the executive and technical expertise was *available* in the US, they would use it.  In fact, this is what Apple is, the American technical and executive head office.  

The fact is that year by year less and less people (especially males), are able to qualify for that type of education or job in North America.  That's what the immigration is all about.  If not for the immigrants, USA, Canada, UK, and most similar countries couldn't generate enough trained individuals with any qualifications.  As long as the average American male is more interested in drinking beer and fishing instead of going to University or working hard, the immigrants will always be needed and the foreign countries will always be ahead of the USA in terms of development and education.  

They are ahead now and there doesn't seem to be any economic trends out there that indicate a reversal of fortune.  Manufacturing jobs as a whole are going away and they are leaving places like North America and Europe first.  That's just the way the economic cookie is crumbling.  

Automated factories are the future.  

• Reply 31 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's pretty much the way it is and the way things have been going for many years now though.  If the executive and technical expertise was *available* in the US, they would use it.  In fact, this is what Apple is, the American technical and executive head office.  

The fact is that year by year less and less people (especially males), are able to qualify for that type of education or job in North America.  That's what the immigration is all about.  If not for the immigrants, USA, Canada, UK, and most similar countries couldn't generate enough trained individuals with any qualifications.  As long as the average American male is more interested in drinking beer and fishing instead of going to University or working hard, the immigrants will always be needed and the foreign countries will always be ahead of the USA in terms of development and education.  

They are ahead now and there doesn't seem to be any economic trends out there that indicate a reversal of fortune.  Manufacturing jobs as a whole are going away and they are leaving places like North America and Europe first.  That's just the way the economic cookie is crumbling.  

Automated factories are the future.  

Many immigrants come to the USA for advanced studies and generally stay here for employment.  That doesn't fit with your theory very well.

• Reply 32 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

That is my point. They are basically saying transportation cost are going to go up in the future with no signs of any decline. Automated Factory will be much cheaper then the labour cost in long run, and the Design for Mac Mini will be dead for next 3 - 4 years and no tooling is required.

And Mac Mini is currently being used in Cooperate market and server market where both market aren't selling well in Asia, and little in Europe.

What's really going up are Chinese wages for trained workers.  The competitive advantage in labor costs for China has been and is forecasted to shrink.

• Reply 33 of 39
    Ok this is the second most likely, because Mac Pro is largest and is easier and pice effect is not visible. This the Mac mini still is simple and not to thin(the IMac and MacBooks are under a inch) and these are the two without built in screens yet who knows or cares a made in America Macintosh is going to be in people's hands 2013.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Ok this is the second most likely, because Mac Pro is largest and is easier and pice effect is not visible. This the Mac mini still is simple and not to thin(the IMac and MacBooks are under a inch) and these are the two without built in screens yet who knows or cares a made in America Macintosh is going to be in people's hands 2013.

Some people here seem to want US-made Macs. I don't actually care, even though as a kid I just 'knew' if it was made in Asia it was poorly build.

MP does look like a likely candidate, here's an old pic of a G5

• Reply 35 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Some people here seem to want US-made Macs. I don't actually care, even though as a kid I just 'knew' if it was made in Asia it was poorly build.

The quality is generally fine with Apple products. Part of it is if you're cost cutting, and moving work to where the labor is cheap, it seems like cutting quality also achieves that, and too many companies took that bait.

Supposedly there is a move by industry to reshore some manufacturing and assembly work. It turns out some manufacturing should never have left, it was simply assumed that the costs were lower because of lower wages, but a thorough analysis was never done to cover all the factors. It was just assumed that lower wages meant less expensive production, without any work validating the assumption. There are other factors, as wages are increasing in China and the cost of natural gas is cheaper in the US too.

MP does look like a likely candidate, here's an old pic of a G5

My original Mac Pro has a "Made in the USA" or "Assembled in the USA" mark on its tag. G5s were too.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    jeffdm wrote: »
    The quality is generally fine with Apple products. Part of it is if you're cost cutting, and moving work to where the labor is cheap, it seems like cutting quality also achieves that, and too many companies took that bait.

Supposedly there is a move by industry to reshore some manufacturing and assembly work. It turns out some manufacturing should never have left, it was simply assumed that the costs were lower because of lower wages, but a thorough analysis was never done to cover all the factors. It was just assumed that lower wages meant less expensive production, without any work validating the assumption. There are other factors, as wages are increasing in China and the cost of natural gas is cheaper in the US too.

Good points, thanks.
    My original Mac Pro has a "Made in the USA" or "Assembled in the USA" mark on its tag.

Really? I've never seen that - and I've seen quite a few. I know you have experience with this box inside out so I'm not questioning you. Surprised, I am.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    This is very good, actually. I honestly hope we see lots of US employment, and not being a dick here, I hope there won't be anyone threatening to jump off roofs.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    sr2012 wrote: »
    This is very good, actually. I honestly hope we see lots of US employment, and not being a dick here, I hope there won't be anyone threatening to jump off roofs.

Missing out on the Christmas spirit today? It's one pathetic post after the other with you, isn't it?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Missing out on the Christmas spirit today? It's one pathetic post after the other with you, isn't it?

No, with you around I'm infused with holiday joy... ;)