Forthcoming book references unannounced 'Apple Aperture X'

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A book scheduled to be released in March hints that Apple may be planning to release a major update to its Aperture software for professional photographers.

Aperture

The unannounced "Apple Aperture X" is named in the title of a book for photographers listed on Amazon's Canadian website. Potentially lending credibility to the title is the fact that the listing also notes it is "under NDA," or non-disclosure agreement.

The book, from authors Ken McMahon and Nik Rawlinson, is scheduled to arrive on March 1, 2013. However, the date could simply be a placeholder, as the book description describes Aperture 3, the current version of the software available for purchase.

The new book will be published by Focal press and has its own ISBN numbers. The paperback title is listed as being 322 pages long. The book was first discovered on Thursday by AppleInsider reader Hugh.

Aperture 3 was released in early 2010, making the professional software now almost three years old. That update added 64-bit support and more than 200 new features, including Faces, Places and Brushes.

The name "Aperture X" would fall in line with Final Cut Pro X, a major overhaul to Apple's professional video editing software that was released last year. The release of Final Cut Pro X was enveloped in controversy, as many longtime users felt the changes to the software crippled it. But Apple has since issued a number of updates to enhance features in the software.

There have also been rumors that Apple is working on a so-called Logic Pro X for its professional digital audio and music sequencing program. Rumors earlier this year that Apple had "decimated" its pro audio team were quickly dismissed, suggesting the team remains and is at work on an update to the software. Logic Pro 9, the current major release, became available in July of 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Are we not nearing to XIII?
  • Reply 2 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Are we not nearing to XIII?

XIII? like the game!!!! image

• Reply 3 of 65
    X is a placeholder. The author doesn't know what the version it is or will be. The book it also likely not finished either.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Now, if we could just get Keynote X...
  • Reply 5 of 65
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    gustav wrote: »
    X is a placeholder. The author doesn't know what the version it is or will be. The book it also likely not finished either.

I tend to agree.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    How much do you guys want to bet that a bunch of pathetic ass holes will jump all over the new release claiming it is no longer a professional app because feature xyz is missing? You all know it will happen so we probably have nothing to bet on here. It is almost guaranteed that these idiots will gloss over all of the new features and improvements just to dwell on their favored functionality of the past. It is also a certainty they will see such a release as a brick wall that isn't malleable with updates even though Apple has continuously updated its professional software.

I may have to tune out when and if the software is released because it will be unbearable to listen to all of the crying from the so called adult men that label themselves professionals.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

How much do you guys want to bet that a bunch of pathetic ass holes will jump all over the new release claiming it is no longer a professional app because feature xyz is missing? You all know it will happen so we probably have nothing to bet on here. It is almost guaranteed that these idiots will gloss over all of the new features and improvements just to dwell on their favored functionality of the past. It is also a certainty they will see such a release as a brick wall that isn't malleable with updates even though Apple has continuously updated its professional software.

I may have to tune out when and if the software is released because it will be unbearable to listen to all of the crying from the so called adult men that label themselves professionals.

Actually, it's these kinds of blanket statements that I'll be tuning out from.   

BTW, definitely a placeholder for an unfinished book.  Totally common.  On the photography/Aperture boards this didn't even raise an eyebrow.

• Reply 8 of 65
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Actually, it's these kinds of blanket statements that I'll be tuning out from.   

BTW, definitely a placeholder for an unfinished book.  Totally common.  On the photography/Aperture boards this didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Well the "under NDA" should raise some eyebrows.  It implies that the author was told about (or has) the new version of Aperture under NDA and somehow, this "leaked" into the metadata about the book, thereby pretty much violating the NDA.  

• Reply 9 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

Now, if we could just get Keynote X...

Yeeeesss ... that would be great. Even iWorks '11, '12, or even '13 would be fantastic - as I'm using these every day and these really need some update.

• Reply 10 of 65

For what it's worth, AI posted a nearly identical news item back in 2009 about Aperture 3 which turned out to be right on the money.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/23/book_listing_implies_apple_to_release_aperture_x_in_2010.html

"Apple preparing Aperture X upgrade to 3.0

By Prince McLean and Neil Hughes

Friday, October 23, 2009, 08:25 am

A new book available for preorder on Amazon.com implies that a new 3.0 version of Aperture, called Apple Aperture X, could be coming by May 2010.

The book is listed as "Apple Aperture X (3) - UNDER NDA: A Workflow Guide for Digital Photographers," and the 320-page paperback from Focal Press has a release date of May 26, 2010, perhaps suggesting a timeframe for the forthcoming software's release."

Same title, same authors, same NDA language, etc. While the title of the book was changed, it did come out as predicted, within a few months of when Aperture 3 was released in February 2010.

• Reply 11 of 65
    Well, that should make the [I]Aperture 3 reviewed by [B]bcbcbroderick[/B][/I] on the right hand side of AI pages disappear in no time. It will of course be a welcomed upgrade, in spite of all the free updates we got since version 3 came out. Do wish we get an option in the prefs to turn back on colored icons in the side- and toolbar, but looking at iTunes that will be wishful thinking. Less is more and all that.

I am interested in feedback from Lightroom users; that software has caught up to Aperture and supposedly became superior. I just don't know in what way...
  • Reply 12 of 65
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Not released and it's already marked down! Marketing....hah
  • Reply 13 of 65
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Well the "under NDA" should raise some eyebrows.  It implies that the author was told about (or has) the new version of Aperture under NDA and somehow, this "leaked" into the metadata about the book, thereby pretty much violating the NDA.  

True, and the authors published a guide to Aperture 3, among others, and it had the same blurb on the book pre-sale offering then.  (Having signed a NDA or two myself and not even having much to spoil or brag about knowing I take the pronouncement with a grain of salt  : )    )

I just think the release of a major update to Aperture is obviously coming up anyway, and them being privy to it enough to commit to the next book still means it could be Jan or it could be June.  There was no telling of when 3 would be released by the timeline of their last book's mysterious place card showing up in 2009.  This is surely a book about the next version but to me this just means they signed the deal to write it.   Could be anything in between, of course , but...

• Reply 14 of 65

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Even iWorks '11, '12, or even '13 would be fantastic - as I'm using these every day and these really need some update.

Not really.

Why would they name an update after anything but the forthcoming year?

• Reply 15 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I am interested in feedback from Lightroom users; that software has caught up to Aperture and supposedly became superior. I just don't know in what way...
    We use Aperture vs Lightroom for our photo organizer- and my wife uses Aperture vs Lightroom while doing her work mainly because that's what we use for our personal pics. Interestingly enough, she also uses photoshop elements and actions created through there to do the vast majority of her editing as opposed to full photoshop. I would love to see aperture get editing on pace with elements- allowing actions, a much more diverse editing layount, etc- and knock photoshop elements right in the jaw. Get a 2 for 1- (solid) editing & organizing program. Adobe already cripples some products and are aholes to apple as is, why not return the favor a little?
  • Reply 16 of 65
    andysol wrote: »
    I would love to see aperture get editing on pace with elements- allowing actions, a much more diverse editing layount, etc-

That is indeed what I am expecting, more editing options. The added adjustments and effects with live preview were welcome additions to v3 for many people so I fully expect Apple to take this further. And apart from that they will no doubt touch up the interface, speed and dumb Google Maps. What I would love for them to do is create a companion app for the iPad, as the current iPhoto, as nice as it is, does not integrate with OSX Aperture, or iPhoto for that matter. At all.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem with your view is people relied on Final Cut Pro to make a living. Final Cut Pro X initially dropped support for certain needed plugins, multi-monitors, network sharing, projects from older versions of the software, and numerous other things. Apple billed the software as professional ready. 

In Apple's defense, it had to re-write the software from the ground up since it dropped its carbon development language support and went all in with cocoa. As companies like Adobe can attest to, that was a labor intensive process as well as an opportunity to make a better foundation. Apple stuck to its normal formula for doing this type of project: It left out many features. It did this when going from OS 9 to OSX. It added the features back in later.

Like with the whole Maps stink, Apple should have known these issues were going to cause an uproar. It should have communicated the state of the App better, and made clear it was looking for feedback and that it would rapidly adding back features. People gave the initial release of Final Cut Pro X like one star. Now it has about four because Apple did the work to fix the app. 

With Maps, Apple should have took the Siri approach, and labeled the project a beta. It is hard to fault a developer who tells you from the get go the project still needs work. 

• Reply 18 of 65
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    Can't wait. Aperture feels so last millennium.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    macapfel wrote: »
    Even iWorks '11, '12, or even '13 would be fantastic - as I'm using these every day and these really need some update.

Not really.

Why would they name an update after anything but the forthcoming year?

In order to vex the anally retentive.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    @TBell: excellent post!
    stef wrote: »
    Can't wait. Aperture feels so last millennium.

What? In what way?