NYC mayor blames increase in crime on demand for Apple products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    I suspect that it isn't skewed due to apple being more stolen but rather android and flip phones are generally so cheap it's not worth the time and effort to file a police report etc to get your insurance to pay to replace. Folks just buy a new one out of their pocket.
  • Reply 22 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

What kind of bacon!!!? C'mon, there's only one kind of real bacon (note my user tag). Now pour some maple syrup on that!

Not a fan of Canadian bacon, but it's great on a Meat Lovers pizza from Pizza Hut.

• Reply 23 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Next they plan to target hamburgers larger than 6 oz.

Sounds like the White Castle lobbyists are behind this.

anonymouse wrote: »
    What kind of bacon?

Kosher bacon.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    k2director wrote: »
    New York's retard of a mayor has already banned large soft-drinks and baby formula. Next up? A ban on Apple products, because that will keep New Yorkers safer.

I'm all for the whole 'no advertising swag bags of any products at hospitals' but as a woman and in such cases a parent F you New York for this criminal spin and notion of forcing me to breastfeed. Until someone can prove that it will kill a child to be given nothing but formula and never breastfed I have as much right to not do it, whatever my reasons, as to so it. And if the hospital is caring for my child for whatever reason they shouldn't have to it a reason for why they aren't forcing me to feed my child the way the city thinks best.
  • Reply 25 of 102

Quote:

What kind of bacon!!!? C'mon, there's only one kind of real bacon (note my user tag). Now pour some maple syrup on that!

Well, I was thinking it might be applewood smoked.

• Reply 26 of 102
    Great! Now I want bacon.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I see a sales opportunity for cases and skins that make your iOS device look like an android device.

That might help a little bit, but anybody who has a shred of dignity would never resort to such pathetic and desperate measures.

No way in hell would I ever cover up an Apple device and camouflage it to look like an Android device.

Even worse than getting an Apple device stolen is the chance that somebody would mistakenly recognize me as being an Android user. I'd rather have my Apple device stolen. At least I'd still have my pride. An Apple device can always be replaced. The stigma and shame of being an Android user can never be erased.

To deal with problem, Mayor Doucheberg has decided to ban all iPhones larger than 3.5", since the newest 4" iPhone is the hottest and most desirable phone that thieves are on the lookout for. Just like the soda ban, the iPhone ban will be a huge success and truly gets to the core of the problem.

As soon as this new law takes effect, walking with a 4" iPhone, smoking a cigarette and drinking a large soda will now get you the death penalty in New York City. If you're an illegal alien, walking around with an Android phone and you also happen to be a molester of children, don't worry, you'll be just fine. Just remember to stay away from the 16 oz and larger Coke.

• Reply 28 of 102
    woops, accidental repost
  • Reply 29 of 102

I'm starting an "Apple Buy Back Program" to get these dangerous machines off the streets. Bring all of your iMacs, iPods, iPads and iPhones to me and I'll give you a movie ticket to "John Carter". And remember... Android products don't kill people, Apple products kill people.

• Reply 30 of 102

Quote:

Back bacon or Peameal bacon?

• Reply 31 of 102

I think people aren't really listening to the real message of this story.  It looks like NYC wants to help stop the stealing of apple devices, however they need help from apple owners.  A big part of the blame is likely the huge subsidies that phone makers pay for phones, but another part of the problem is how easy it is to sell stolen apple products.  Most people who have a phone think of it as costing $200 at most, and don't consider the $500 that the carriers are putting toward it.  If they realized they were holding a $700 device, they might be more careful about flashing it around in public.  People know better than to flash around expensive jewelry on a subway, or show that you're carrying a bunch of money etc.  Why shouldn't they be equally careful with their phones?  And the city is trying to convince people to do that. Phones and tablets should be guarded more carefully.  Throwing a phone in a loose coat pocket while on the subway is not a smart idea.

As far as what apple has to do with it, it's all due to apple's popularity.  It's not that an iphone is inherently that much more valuable than an android phone, but rather that it's SO easy to unload a stolen iphone because there are so many used iphones for sale.  If a particular model of an android phone gets stolen, checking craigslist and pawn shops for that particular model might be an effective strategy, as there likely aren't too many used models for sale.  iPhones are so popular, and have so few models that unloading one is a breeze.  Likely with no questions asked whatsoever.  

Really, the people who should take the most away from this are A: apple product owners who need to be more careful, and B: insurance agencies who should looking into charging apple product owners more because of the increased crime associated with apple products.

Phil

• Reply 32 of 102
    Bloomberg is one of the best politicians in the nation. Fact that he is being trashed here says a lot about the members.
  • Reply 33 of 102

Meanwhile there is a decrease in crime due to the Sony Walkman and Zune.

• Reply 34 of 102
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    esummers wrote: »
    Meanwhile there is a decrease in crime due to the Sony Walkman and Zune.

The Zune is a crime against humanity.

Be smart, people. Leave your iPhone in your pocket when on the streets.
  • Reply 35 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Be smart, people. Leave your iPhone in your pocket when on the streets.

That's ridiculous. Phones are meant to be used. What if somebody gets a phone call when they're out walking, or if somebody needs to make a phone call or check something?

I wouldn't go around flashing my iPhone at 3 AM on a NYC subway car filled with homeless bums, shady people, drunk people and other undesirables, but I'm not going to hesitate to use my Apple devices when I feel the need to, under normal circumstances.

• Reply 36 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Bloomberg is one of the best politicians in the nation. Fact that he is being trashed here says a lot about the members.

Or it say's a lot about your perception of reality.

I bet you don't like bacon.

• Reply 37 of 102
    msimpson wrote: »
    Or it say's a lot about your perception of reality.

I bet you don't like bacon.

Hey! Show some respect by leaving bacon out of your political discussions. What has bacon ever done to you?
  • Reply 38 of 102

Quote:

Too bad he's not also one of the best mayors. (Or, sadly, maybe he is, the level of quality of mayors not seeming to generally be that high.) He's completely out of touch with what life is like for most New Yorkers, so he wastes his time, and the taxpayers money on stupid things like big soda bans. He wanted to run a marathon, starting in Staten Island, less than a week after parts of that borough were devastated by Sandy. He, along with Ray Kelly, has presided over a Stop and Frisk policy that amounts to nothing more than harassing people for Walking While Black, and which will end up costing the taxpayers millions of dollars once all the law suits for Civil Rights violations are settled. Not to mention all the other Civil Rights violations the NYPD is responsible for under Bloomberg's leadership.

In fairness to him, he's probably less of a fascist than Rudy Giuliani, and New York has had some pretty lousy mayors in recent decades, so he sometimes looks good by comparison. And, really, no one with any intelligence or political skill really wants to waste their time being mayor of New York when there are so many other better political opportunities out there. But, after nearly 20 years of the Rudy and Mike show, other than in the Times Square area, it's hard to say New York is a better place than it was before them, unless you're very rich.

• Reply 39 of 102

Quote:

Do you live in NYC?

The dude is more ban happy than Hitler when it comes to certain issues, like cigarettes and certain food/drink items. And I'm not just throwing Hitler in to this conversation because I'm trying to godwin the topic. I'm throwing it in, because it happens to be a fact. Go look it up if you are unaware of history. Americans don't need any hypocritical politicians dictating to them what they are allowed to eat or not. Bloomberg has an authoritarian and dictatorial streak that is downright un-American. Bloomberg should take his dictator fetish and take over some third world country, where the people are accustomed to dictators and other sorts of douchebags.

I also remember when a car bomb went off in Times Square a few years ago. The idiot mayor speculated that it might be some "tea party" member with an axe to grind, while almost everybody else with a functioning brain knew exactly who was behind it, as soon as it happened. Did the idiot Bloomberg forget about a certain terrorist attack against the city a decade or so ago, where certain iconic buildings were completely destroyed? 

• Reply 40 of 102
    I wish Apple would do a better job and making their products useless to thieves. Better lockout and reactivation tech.