Apple releases iOS 6.0.2 for iPhone 5, iPad mini with Wi-Fi bug fix

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [quote name="cutykamu" url="/t/155091/apple-releases-ios-6-0-2-for-iphone-5-ipad-mini-with-wi-fi-bug-fix/40#post_2250631"]wifi is always on even on standby time when the phone is not using anything…

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by standby but when i phone is sitting idle it's still connected to the network. it's not in a hibernation mode that disconnects itself from all network services. If that happened it would surely use less power but you also wouldn't get calls, SMS, emails, iMessages, or any push messages to the device.
  • Reply 42 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

wifi is always on even on standby time when the phone is not using anything…

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by standby but when i phone is sitting idle it's still connected to the network. it's not in a hibernation mode that disconnects itself from all network services. If that happened it would surely use less power but you also wouldn't get calls, SMS, emails, iMessages, or any push messages to the device.

i don't know but prior to iOS 6.0.2 when my phone is in standby mode and the moment i switch on the screen it shows that it is connected on EDGE even though i'm sitting at home very near to wifi and after 2-3 seconds wifi sign is back on. it always works the same for my iPads and iPhones from the beginning. 

after iOS 6.0.2 even though my phone is on standby mode for a longer period and when i switch on the screen it shows it is connected to wifi.

so my understanding is that this is the main reason of battery drainage which people (including me) are complaining about the iPhone 5 iOS 6.0.2

although my battery drainage problem is nowhere near the way people are complaining on apple's forums that their battery is going down every hour about 20% or something. mine is affected overall about down to 10-15% from full charge.

i hope i made it clear this time. 

• Reply 43 of 62
    cutykamu wrote: »
    i don't know but prior to iOS 6.0.2 when my phone is in standby mode and the moment i switch on the screen it shows that it is connected on EDGE even though i'm sitting at home very near to wifi and after 2-3 seconds wifi sign is back on. it always works the same for my iPads and iPhones from the beginning. 
    after iOS 6.0.2 even though my phone is on standby mode for a longer period and when i switch on the screen it shows it is connected to wifi.

so my understanding is that this is the main reason of battery drainage which people (including me) are complaining about the iPhone 5 iOS 6.0.2
    although my battery drainage problem is nowhere near the way people are complaining on apple's forums that their battery is going down every hour about 20% or something. mine is affected overall about down to 10-15% from full charge.

i hope i made it clear this time. 

I was able to find this comment on an Apple Community thread...
    In 4.0 and 4.0.1 the wifi was persistent on the iphone.

In 4.0.2 they changed it to disconnect after being in sleep for 10 seconds.

However, if your data connection is turned off in the settings the wifi will remain on when in sleep.

This was confirmed by a member of Applecare.

Maybe they changed the way it works with this update. You might want to give them a call to get more details. If you do, would please post them here so we can all be up to date with the latest iOS policies/settings?
  • Reply 44 of 62

Quote:

i can confirm that on my iPad on iOS 6.0.1 it is still same that after 10 seconds in standby mode it disconnects from wifi and reconnects within 2-3 seconds. so i guess the data connection on/off settings are only for the iPhone?

Maybe they changed the way it works with this update. You might want to give them a call to get more details. If you do, would please post them here so we can all be up to date with the latest iOS policies/settings?

i can't even try as i'm in china right now and it's not easy to discuss with the chinese staff at apple store. i might have already tried if i were in U.S.

though i would love the update about latest iOS policies/settings.

• Reply 45 of 62

Basically the consensus here is DO NOT UPGRADE?

• Reply 46 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

Basically the consensus here is DO NOT UPGRADE?

yes my friend yes, as per my understanding many people are having trouble so apple will release the new update asap. i hope.

so it is better to wait.

• Reply 47 of 62

Quote:

i restored my iPhone 5 from iCloud backup iOS 6.0.2 and seems like battery problem has been solved and my usage time shows the actual usage time now (not like before where usage time and standy time were both same, for example standby time was 20 hours and usage time was also 20 hours). if any update i will let you guys know later.

but the wifi is still slow as before. i'm sitting very near to my newest time capsule in my office and my internet speed is 5mbps but i'm getting on my iPhone 5 only about 800kbps whereas iPad and macbook pro are not affected and they get the full speed.  

• Reply 48 of 62

yes my friend yes, as per my understanding many people are having trouble so apple will release the new update asap. i hope.

so it is better to wait.

No, they're not going to make a 6.0.3 to "fix" the 6.0.2. Just upgrade.

• Reply 49 of 62
    No, they're not going to make a 6.0.3 to "fix" the 6.0.2. Just upgrade.
    Upgrade to what?
  • Reply 50 of 62

Upgrade to what?

Whatever is newest. If that's 6.0.2 for your device, get that. If it's still 6.0.1, go there if you haven't yet.

• Reply 51 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whatever is newest. If that's 6.0.2 for your device, get that. If it's still 6.0.1, go there if you haven't yet.

if there is no problem with iOS 6.0.2 then surely there is no meaning to bring 6.0.3 but if some people are having problem i think there should be an update coming… I'm not saying that definitely there will be an update as these things only Apple knows it.

you sounds very confident that there is no "fix" coming for 6.0.2, i'm not questioning you but why are you over confident about it?

• Reply 52 of 62

Quote:

i restored my iPhone 5 from iCloud backup iOS 6.0.2 and seems like battery problem has been solved and my usage time shows the actual usage time now (not like before where usage time and standy time were both same, for example standby time was 20 hours and usage time was also 20 hours). if any update i will let you guys know later.

but the wifi is still slow as before. i'm sitting very near to my newest time capsule in my office and my internet speed is 5mbps but i'm getting on my iPhone 5 only about 800kbps whereas iPad and macbook pro are not affected and they get the full speed.  

That's weird, my iPhone 5 with 6.0.1 is getting ~20Mbps/6Mbps on my WRT54GL router. My ISP is Comcast and my desktop gets 35/6 over LAN.

• Reply 53 of 62

if there is no problem with iOS 6.0.2 then surely there is no meaning to bring 6.0.3…

No, that doesn't follow by any system of logic.

you sounds very confident that there is no "fix" coming for 6.0.2, i'm not questioning you but why are you over confident about it?

Because there's no problem with 6.0.2.

• Reply 54 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because there's no problem with 6.0.2.

for you ok i believe so, how can you say that there is no problem for others? well maybe the problem is not only 6.0.2 but maybe mixed with hardware but surely there is some kind of problem otherwise people won't be reporting many problems.

anyways when i restored my iPhone 5 the battery problem has been solved fully but the slow wifi problem still exists… 

• Reply 55 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

That's weird, my iPhone 5 with 6.0.1 is getting ~20Mbps/6Mbps on my WRT54GL router. My ISP is Comcast and my desktop gets 35/6 over LAN.

i just wish mine gets to normal asap. i'm in china now and many of my friends are using iPhone 5 and literally all of them have the slower wifi and i cannot find one iPhone 5 which doesn't have this problem… 

i bought from a reseller and he showed me 10 new iPhone 5's there and all of them had slower wifi.

i know but it is really very strange.

• Reply 56 of 62

well maybe the problem is not only 6.0.2 but maybe mixed with hardware…

Right! Exactly! Or it stems from a lack of knowledge on the part of the user, like other problems can. There ARE devices out there with Wi-Fi/battery problems, but these aren't all inherent to the new software. And what's left isn't all inherent to bad hardware. Plenty of it can simply be lack of knowledge.

…but surely there is some kind of problem otherwise people won't be reporting many problems.

You'd be surprised.

• Reply 57 of 62

Hi,

I got my iphone 5 yesterday. I was recommended by itune to download the 6.0.2. I am not happy with this version because it is killing my battery. I could only use the phone for 5 hours of 100% full charge. I wonder when the new updates would release to fix this problem. 

• Reply 58 of 62
    dlca wrote: »
    Hi,

I got my iphone 5 yesterday. I was recommended by itune to download the 6.0.2. I am not happy with this version because it is killing my battery. I could only use the phone for 5 hours of 100% full charge. I wonder when the new updates would release to fix this problem. 
    Try backing up your phone and restoring again to 6.0.2
    This helped me so you can give it a try.
  • Reply 59 of 62

Quote:

i just wish mine gets to normal asap. i'm in china now and many of my friends are using iPhone 5 and literally all of them have the slower wifi and i cannot find one iPhone 5 which doesn't have this problem… 

i bought from a reseller and he showed me 10 new iPhone 5's there and all of them had slower wifi.

i know but it is really very strange.

I don't know the exact facts on this issue but a friend of mine told me iPhones sold in China are different than the ones sold in other parts of the world. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

The speed of your WiFi depends on the speed the provider is giving you. If you're provider is only giving you 1.5Mbps/768Kbps then no doubt your Wifi will be slow. I go to Shanghai for business trips and I know China's internet is nothing compared to the speeds I get here in the US. The Great Firewall also affects the speed.

• Reply 60 of 62
    Ok guys,

Since the update itunes doesnt recognize my iphone and actually my mac doesnt recognize it at all too... So i cant even charge my phone on my mac anymore... So yes , i guess there will be a 6.03 update coming...