Huddler Redesign 2: Electric Boogaloo!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1. All forum threads are from AI's 'Kasper's Automated Slave' which should read the authors' name. With some articles you just know who wrote it, but not always

That's probably not a good idea to change, since the AppleInsider account is just a bot, automatically posting. What they could do is append each story with the author's name.

2. Special characters become ? in threads. That can't be difficult to fix I presume (?)

Right, that's just it misreading an extended set of characters.

3. Increase font size could do with a maximum, but I seriously don't know of anyone actually using this feature (on any site)

They can fix that by removing the hardcoded line spacing and letting the font handle it.

5. View comments button keeps you on the main article page, View all gets you to the forum. Choose one button; less (options) = more

Normally I'd disagree, but since front-page comment posting is so terrible I'd actually be in favor of not seeing them at all, at least until a more advanced posting box is brought up there (but really I'd prefer commenting done directly on the forum; less work getting two pages to sync up, less confusing for users).

• Reply 22 of 30
    That's probably not a good idea to change, since the AppleInsider account is just a bot, automatically posting. What they could do is append each story with the author's name.

That'll work as well!
    Right, that's just it misreading an extended set of characters.

But can it be fixed please? It's just 'a poor reading experience'
    They can fix that by removing the hardcoded line spacing and letting the font handle it.

I presume the site will continue to be updated over and over again, so I also presume one day I'll get to see this..
    Normally I'd disagree, but since front-page comment posting is so terrible I'd actually be in favor of not seeing them at all, at least until a more advanced posting box is brought up there (but really I'd prefer commenting done directly on the forum; less work getting two pages to sync up, less confusing for users).

Fully agree. And even though it's merely plain text, indeed, remove the comments from the homepage.

At least there's no button to hide the comments... at the bottom of the page, which is what I say earlier today. True thing.

- - - - - - -

Thanks for the response; the effort you put into this site is truly admirable.
  • Reply 23 of 30

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But can it be fixed please? It's just 'a poor reading experience'

I try my best to correct them in the forums after posting. I don't have any control beyond that. I'll mention it the next time I talk to the Huddler team, though.

• Reply 24 of 30
    I try my best to correct them in the forums after posting. I don't have any control beyond that. I'll mention it the next time I talk to the Huddler team, though.

I couldn't expect more, obviously. Thanks
  • Reply 25 of 30
    The bar at the top of a AI page is differs from Forum to AI.com. Can that be made consistent?
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19871/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19872/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 26 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Have you guys noticed the Vox media sites (The Verge, Polygon)? It is like websites are finally rediscovering their Magazine origins. Big glorious photos and plenty of them, the first letter of the article big and capitalised, choice quotes dotted amongst the text, e.g.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/1/3941274/gabe-newell-steam-box-talk-ut

Even more magaziney:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/1/3904298/bikini-kill-is-making-things-again

I think it's gonna catch on...

• Reply 27 of 30

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Have you guys noticed the Vox media sites (The Verge, Polygon)? It is like websites are finally rediscovering their Magazine origins. Big glorious photos and plenty of them, the first letter of the article big and capitalised, choice quotes dotted amongst the text, e.g.

I rather like that. Putting actual work into the website page designs. Hope it does.

• Reply 28 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Putting actual work into the website page designs.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Reply 29 of 30
    ascii wrote: »
    Have you guys noticed the Vox media sites (The Verge, Polygon)? It is like websites are finally rediscovering their Magazine origins.

That looks really good. I like it, it is indeed the way I remember articles' layout in music magazines when I was a kid.
  • Reply 30 of 30

I had an interesting dream last night: I was posting on this site, and Huddler was broken. Some tag would get injected and half of the post would be filled with garbage, like when you quote a reply from Apple ][. I found the idea amusing: "Huddler is broken...again."