in Mac Software edited January 2014

How many SMS messages are sent per day?

Telecoms. Quaking. In. Their. Boots.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    How many SMS messages are sent per day?

Telecoms. Quaking. In. Their. Boots.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    So in 2008 it was more than double than iMessage in 2012. I can only presume the number going down with the adaption of smartphones, but can't find any solid numbers.

But I get your point; and it's really great to see, we, the people, are finally going to kill off that ridiculous money making 'service' known as SMS. Glad to see it die, just like dial up, but way overprices.
  • Reply 3 of 8

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I can only presume the number going down with the adaption of smartphones, but can't find any solid numbers.

Wait, why would it go down?

Your chart's telling me that iMessage is a minuscule fraction. With their insane prices, they shouldn't be worried about anything but the fact that it encompasses more than just phones, which SMS can't.

• Reply 4 of 8
    philboogie wrote: »
    I can only presume the number going down with the adaption of smartphones, but can't find any solid numbers.

Wait, why would it go down?

No no; SMS should go down, iMessage up, as there are more and more iPhones / Macs sold
    Your chart's telling me that iMessage is a minuscule fraction. With their insane prices, they shouldn't be worried about anything but the fact that it encompasses more than just phones, which SMS can't.

Not minuscule; chart says it's was around 70B a month, US only. With your number of 1B iMessages per day... I'd wager that since 2008 SMS has declined with the uprise of smartphones and iMessage is being adopted - at whatever rate. Hell, WhatsApp probably does way more than iMessage, and it's being reflected by my local telco here in NL. BoD was actually shocked at the figures last year (which caused them to increase the price for 3G - and do a DPI, which is illegal; they were fined)
  • Reply 5 of 8

No no; SMS should go down, iMessage up, as there are more and more iPhones / Macs sold

Well, yeah, but why? There have still been more non-iMessage devices sold since 2008.

• Reply 6 of 8
    philboogie wrote: »

Well, yeah, but why? There have still been more non-iMessage devices sold since 2008.

True, but the landscape is changing, according to BI.com:

• Reply 7 of 8

True, but the landscape is changing, according to BI.com:

Interesting; true. A significant portion of those feature phones are being replaced by Android devices, however, and still people are entering the cell phone game for the first time. 

It all seems really vague to me. Why we can't just find actual numbers in realtime makes me curious. I know the telecoms would lie about any penetration of iMessage, but seeing both sales and usage share of feature to smart and what phones use what services would be really helpful.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Why we can't just find actual numbers in realtime makes me curious. I know the telecoms would lie about any penetration of iMessage, but seeing both sales and usage share of feature to smart and what phones use what services would be really helpful.

Realtime figures would be great. Well, except maybe for national debt. But yeah, I would love that as well, but agree that telco's, or any company for that matter, wouldn't want to give away their numbers.

As much as I dislike Google, they gotta have really interesting data - not on SMS obviously, but changes in landscape, so to speak. Yep, data I like.