NYC mayor blames increase in crime on demand for Apple products

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What were the circumstances of these events? Public transportation? Home invasion? Forgot your iPhone for a couple minutes? Home robbery? Left iPad on side of the street with "Homeless please help" scrolling across its display with a cup sitting next to it?

Both iPod Touch public snatch and run.   First was on the subway where a group entered looking for someone holding a device near a door so one could grab it when the door opened and bolt while the rest block for him.  Now I never sit by the door if I have device out.  The second was on the street, similar, walking home from the subway in brownstone Brooklyn.  A group was sitting on a stoop waiting for someone to walk by during a time when the people walking in front and behind were a good enough distance away.  Jumped up, jostled, grabbed, set a pick, ran, over in a second.

Neither made me feel any different about NYC.  I've lived here for 35 years.  You tend to not walk around with your guard up all the time, suspicious of everyone you see, and if you're unlucky that will bite you in the butt.   Petty thieves work hard at blending in and they'll wait all day for the timing to be right.  I never felt I was any more prone to this kind of thing here than any other city I've lived in.  

• Reply 102 of 102
    jlandd wrote: »
    Both iPod Touch public snatch and run.   First was on the subway where a group entered looking for someone holding a device near a door so one could grab it when the door opened and bolt while the rest block for him.  Now I never sit by the door if I have device out.  The second was on the street, similar, walking home from the subway in brownstone Brooklyn.  A group was sitting on a stoop waiting for someone to walk by during a time when the people walking in front and behind were a good enough distance away.  Jumped up, jostled, grabbed, set a pick, ran, over in a second.

Neither made me feel any different about NYC.  I've lived here for 35 years.  You tend to not walk around with your guard up all the time, suspicious of everyone you see, and if you're unlucky that will bite you in the butt.   Petty thieves work hard at blending in and they'll wait all day for the timing to be right.  I never felt I was any more prone to this kind of thing here than any other city I've lived in.  

I strongly dislike such scum...

[VIDEO]

Have you considered a case with a wristband that could prevent the quick snatch and grab?