Intel expected to unveil cable service, set-top box at CES

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Chipmaker Intel is reportedly planning to unveil a new set-top box and accompanying cable service at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January.

Citing sources familiar with Intel's plans, TechCrunch reported on Monday that Intel's "virtual cable TV service" and hardware are in the works, and that the company also has a plan to secure the necessary licensing agreements to release such a product. Apple, which has been long rumored to be interested in building either a television set or a set-top box, is said to have been held back at least in part by media companies who are reluctant to offer necessary agreements.

Citing one source, Monday's report claimed that Intel has become tired of "everyone doing a half-assed Google TV." That's prompted the company to step in and "do it right" by building their own service and hardware.

"The plan is to create a set-top box and subscription TV service that would appeal to people who want streaming TV access but don't want to entirely cut the cable cord and lose key content like sports," author Josh Constine wrote. "The service would pipe in both traditional channels and streaming content such as Redbox's streaming service."

Intel reportedly plans to unveil the "first version" of what's called an "evolving set-top box" at its CES event on Jan. 7.

Apple TV

Rumors of a full-fledged Apple television set have persisted for years, but the possibility of the company instead releasing a greatly enhanced Apple TV set-top box as an accessory for third-party televisions was raised this August. A report from The Wall Street Journal revealed that Apple was considering building its own cable box that would include an iOS-like user interface and advanced cloud-based DVR functionality that would blur the line between live and on-demand content.

Google TV

With Apple allegedly interested in expanding its current Apple TV accessory, and Intel reportedly planning to unveil a new platform in the immediate future, Google has signaled that it wishes to get out of the set-top box business. Earlier this month, one report claimed that Google was working on a deal to sell its Motorola Home Business, responsible for building boxes for cable providers.

Google's shift would sell off a major portion of the $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility it bought a year ago. Some industry watchers had initially speculated that Motorola's set-top box business might have been a key part of the acquisition for Google, as the company offers its own Android-based Google TV business.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    The day I can subscribe to all sports for $25/mo will be the end of current cable Giants and their lazy foot.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    Com'on, who you kid'n!

Every one knows Apple will be 1st to this....and then ripped off...I mean copied...flattery...Ah' you know what I'm sayn'.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    I'm surprised that Google sold off the STB business. How hard would've it been to put Google TV into every box?
  • Reply 4 of 91

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm surprised that Google sold off the STB business. How hard would've it been to put Google TV into every box?

That was their dream years back, wasn't it?

"Eventually you won't be able to buy a TV without our software" or something like that.

• Reply 5 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With Apple allegedly interested in expanding its current Apple TV accessory, and Intel reportedly planning to unveil a new platform in the immediate future, Google has signaled that it wishes to get out of the set-top box business. Earlier this month, one report claimed that Google was working on a deal to sell its Motorola Home Business, responsible for building boxes for cable providers.

Google's not working on a deal to sell off the set-top business. They DID sell it off, getting roughly $2.5Billion in cash plus stock.

• Reply 6 of 91
    Intel taking a page from MS who took a page from Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 91

Agreed. Cable companies will eventually be reduced to just renting and servicing their "pipes!" :)

I use the Redbox vending machines. It is excellent value compared to the old Blockbuster days. I look fwd to when the roll out their streaming service.

Currently, I'm using Netflix. And it's OK. Movies are a bit old and on the whole are subpar. But I do enjoy watching the English TV shows, "The IT Crowd," etc.

But am really looking fwd to an Apple TV because I know Apple will do it right! :)

• Reply 8 of 91
    That was their dream years back, wasn't it?

"Eventually you won't be able to buy a TV without our software" or something like that.

I don't recall Google wanting that, but it doesn't surprise me. I know Microsoft wanted to be in everyone's living room. Going to be interesting for the next few years. Whatever happens it'll be a win for us consumers.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    Agreed. Cable companies will eventually be reduced to just renting and servicing their "pipes!" :)

I use the Redbox vending machines. It is excellent value compared to the old Blockbuster days. I look fwd to when the roll out their streaming service.

Currently, I'm using Netflix. And it's OK. Movies are a bit old and on the whole are subpar. But I do enjoy watching the English TV shows, "The IT Crowd," etc.

But am really looking fwd to an Apple TV because I know Apple will do it right! :)

If you're into Brit TV you gotta watch Misfits.
  • Reply 10 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The plan is to create a set-top box and subscription TV service that would appeal to people who want streaming TV access but don't want to entirely cut the cable cord and lose key content like sports," 

Don't we have this today with the iPad and Apple TV?

I want to entirely cut the cable cord.  Fast broadband is all that is needed.

• Reply 11 of 91

Quote:

If you're into Brit TV you gotta watch Misfits.

Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation. I will! :)

I remember a long time ago, the Young Ones, Rise and Fall of Reginald Perin, and, of course, Black Adder! Just brilliant writing.

• Reply 12 of 91

Too bad that your broadband comes through the cord you're looking to cut.
  • Reply 13 of 91

Too bad that your broadband comes through the cord you're looking to cut.

I didn't know my DSL was carried over a coax cable. Wonder why I had to plug filters into my phone lines, then.

• Reply 14 of 91
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

The day I can subscribe to all sports for $25/mo will be the end of current cable Giants and their lazy foot.

To each their own I suppose.  For me, sports is the main reason I stopped watching cable TV.  

There is more entertainment value in sticking your head out the window or going for a walk than there is following organised professional sports.  You don't learn anything, you aren't actually being entertained most of the time, and all the events end the same way.  The teams change rosters, the players start and retire over time, the teams change names, colours and cities, but other than these completely inconsequential details, every game is the same boring story over and over and over and over again.  

Every minute you are sitting in front of a TV watching some silly sporting event, is a minute of your life that you are wasting IMO.  

• Reply 15 of 91
    I didn't know my DSL was carried over a coax cable. Wonder why I had to plug filters into my phone lines, then.

DSL is dying, and the speeds aren't that fast.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation. I will! :)

I remember a long time ago, the Young Ones, Rise and Fall of Reginald Perin, and, of course, Black Adder! Just brilliant writing.

The writing on Misfits is more juvenile but nonetheless good. One of the craziest comedies I've ever seen. Here's a taste.

• Reply 17 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

To each their own I suppose.  For me, sports is the main reason I stopped watching cable TV.  

There is more entertainment value in sticking your head out the window or going for a walk than there is following organised professional sports.  You don't learn anything, you aren't actually being entertained most of the time, and all the events end the same way.  The teams change rosters, the players start and retire over time, the teams change names, colours and cities, but other than these completely inconsequential details, every game is the same boring story over and over and over and over again.  

Every minute you are sitting in front of a TV watching some silly sporting event, is a minute of your life that you are wasting IMO.  

I hear you. I stopped watching the NFL because of the amount of commercials. They turn what should be a two hour game into 4.5 hours. Complete waste of time. But watching Senna race in F1, Agassi play tennis, Tiger play golf, Ali in the ring, Deion Sanders playing defense was magic. Just to name a few. :)

• Reply 18 of 91

DSL is dying, and the speeds aren't that fast.

No, and no, and that doesn't excuse how it's not at all the cable he's disconnecting.

I refuse to ever move to a cable or any other "shared" bandwidth system.

• Reply 19 of 91
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I don't recall Google wanting that, but it doesn't surprise me. I know Microsoft wanted to be in everyone's living room. Going to be interesting for the next few years. Whatever happens it'll be a win for us consumers.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/2618225/eric-schmidt-le-web-paris-google-tv-majority-all-tvs
  • Reply 20 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have to laugh at everyone trying to beat Apple to the punch in TV when they really have no idea what Apple is planning on doing in this space. I think where companies are missing the boat though is people don't really care about so-called smart TV's. They haven't taken off at all. Hopefully Apple realizes its not about a cool UI. They can have the coolest UI ever but if you're still stuck with cable monopolies and bundled packages where you're paying for channels you never watch its not really solving anything. Cable companies get all the blame but its the content providers pushing/forcing bundling. I'm skeptical Apple will be able to change any of that.