Can't write DVD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I have been trying to copy some files from one drive to DVD.

When I try to use FINDER- I get error- 0x8002006e.

When I try to use TOAST 10, I get errors-

SENSE KEY - MEDIUM ERROR

SENSE CODE - 0X73, 0X04

SENSE KEY - MEDIUM ERROR

SENSE CODE - 0X0C

WRITE ERROR

DISK FAILED TO BE WRITTEN...

What the heck is up??

I-Mac

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

From what to what?

What's the format of the hard drive? Is there anything already on the disc being used? What kind of files, and for what purpose are they being moved (playback, storage, etc.)?

Also, hold Option and right-click the Finder in the Dock. You'll see this. Do it.

Now try the burn again.

• Reply 2 of 4

Moving misc files from external HD to DVD for storage.

As stated, I have tried cold boot, Toast, and etc and get some type of error each time.  I have used Canned Air and blown out the the DVD port.   I have deleated the User/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist file.  Still no luck.

• Reply 3 of 4

Forgot- OS= Mt. Lion- installed last week, but problem existed with Snow Leopard also.

It will write to  CD fine.

• Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    themajor wrote:
    It will write to  CD fine.

DVD RW drives have two lasers, one for DVD, the other for CD. If it's writing to CD fine, it could be that the DVD laser is failing.

You can try copying the files to the internal hard drive before burning to make sure it isn't having a problem with the external. Also try a different brand of disc if you haven't already.

You can also try an external burner. If you need to burn a lot of files, you might consider a Blu-Ray drive as you get 25GB vs 4.7GB on a single layer disc:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506BB-TSBD-External-Blu-ray/dp/B00AO1XFM0
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-208AB-TSBS-External-DVD-Writer/dp/B005KQ0S8S

Keep in mind that consumer optical discs aren't all that good for storing files over long periods of time. Keep multiple copies of important files.