Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is said to be planning to offer customers more choices with the launch of its next-generation iPhone, including multiple colors and sizes, with an earlier-than-expected debut in the May-June timeframe.

Analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said in a note to investors Wednesday that his checks within the industry have indicated the so-called "iPhone 5S" will come in a variety of colors beyond the current black and white. He expects that the next iPhone will be available in a total of eight colors: the pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver and slate shades currently found on the iPod nano, and a (Product)Red model with proceeds benefiting AIDS research.

iPod touch

Beyond the new colors, White also said his industry checks found that a new model could become available in multiple screen sizes. Apple currently sells the 4-inch iPhone 5 alongside the 3.5-inch iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, but the company has never offered multiple screen sizes for a single model.

"We believe this is about to change with the next iPhone offering different screen sizes that we believe will allow Apple to better bifurcate the market and expand its reach," White said. "This eventually opens up the possibility for a lower-priced iPhone (i.e., iPhone mini) with a smaller screen size that could allow Apple to further penetrate markets such as China and open up opportunities in India."

The possibility of different iPhone screen sizes also opens up the opportunity for Apple to build a handset with a larger display. Apple's chief rival, Samsung, has found some success in the market with its Galaxy Note series, which features a 5.5-inch screen with its latest model.

The launch of the iPhone 5 in September marked the first time that Apple has changed the screen size of the iPhone. The new 4-inch screen is slightly taller than the previous 3.5-inch screen, but remains the same width, allowing the handset to be operated with one hand.

As for new colors, White expects that expanded options will also eventually come to the iPad lineup, though no timeframe was given. The iPad mini launched in late October with design cues borrowed from the redesigned iPhone 5 and iPod touch, including an anodized aluminum back, but the device lacks the array of color options found in the iPod touch lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 174

8" iPhone, call it the iPhone 5S (7th model).

5.5" iPhone, call it the iPhone mini.

2.5" iPhone, call it the new iPhone.

• Reply 2 of 174
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

More colors like the iPod touch colors?  Maybe an iPhone in the size of the Nano.  Less functionality better portability?  Hmm.  I think Apple should focus more on iPhone brain implants :-).

• Reply 3 of 174
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Both the date and color rumor were around about the 5 last year. Mr White is hardly reliable now anymore than last year.

Personally I'm not believing either rumor or this 'sizes' stuff outside of the now typical $0, $99, $199 layout.
  • Reply 4 of 174
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I don't buy the various sizes for the next iphone rumor. It doesn't make sense to complicate the supply chain. I do see more colors. I don't see a new iphone mini. They will always use the previous generations for that. They've been successful that way.
  • Reply 5 of 174

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}

function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;}
    A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  

• Reply 6 of 174
    Total bull$1t.
  • Reply 7 of 174
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I believe the rumor in substance. I think the iPhone should have three screen sizes. The original size, the current size, and a slightly larger size. It worked on the music player front. Colors would also be a natural extension of what Apple is doing with its music players. Further, if Apple switches to carbon fiber based products, as is the rumor, colors would be easier. 

The reality is Apple likely has to become more aggressive to fend off Android. Google certainly has become more aggressive, and it is also becoming much better at software design than it used to be. Google's new search program's new voice features are nice. It works faster than Siri and the interface is clean. I still largely use Bing, but Google did nice work with the iOS search App. Google's new map program has some user interface problems as well as voice navigation issues, but the overall design is solid (I still prefer Apple's solution). I hope to see Apple improve at software design more quickly. 

• Reply 8 of 174
    First, we know that they do MAJOR upgrades every 2 years.. the next one is due to be a 5S, mostly evolutionary based on the 5. The next major release would not be due until 2014, and THAT phone MIGHT offer a new size.. but I doubt it..

If they offer multiple sizes at all, it's not like it would offer 5 different phones.. at BEST, they might offer a 3.5, 4" (like now) and MAYBE a 4.8-5" phone.. but the previous 2 sizes are simply because they would keep the 4S and 5S around.. and I simply do not see them going any larger for the next few releases..
  • Reply 9 of 174

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't buy the various sizes for the next iphone rumor. It doesn't make sense to complicate the supply chain. I do see more colors. I don't see a new iphone mini. They will always use the previous generations for that. They've been successful that way.

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

• Reply 10 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}
    function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;} A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  

Honestly, the screen size might not be a huge deal with the iPhone 5 (at least for some), but it easily blows every other phone Apple has made away. It is noticeably lighter, and incredibly fast. The 4S feels like a brick in comparison. Further, the overall design is improved.

• Reply 11 of 174
    take the ipad mini and add a phone feature to it. bigger is better (according to the Samsung fanboys.)
  • Reply 12 of 174
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I wouldn't have been fine with this a year ago. I'd be fine with this now. I don't think it would hurt Apple to mix things up a bit, including colors/sizes. I definitely was onboard with their reluctance to do this, as well as everyone that agreed the iPhone should stay as 1 size, but the market is changing and I'd be open to change.
  • Reply 13 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

I doubt a 3.8, but a 4.2 maybe. It could also simplify things by coming up with a much smaller screen with limited functionality. For instance, a one or two inch screen more like the older Nano's.

• Reply 14 of 174
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I don't buy the multiple sizes either. It's totally unnecessary and complicates matters for application developers.

Frankly, because most people use a case for their iPhone, I'm not sure how important multiple colors are until such time as Apple made an iPhone that was indestructible enough that it didn't need a case.
  • Reply 15 of 174
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I disagree that the iPad mini is useless.    Try holding the regular iPad on a subway or the equivalent and compare it to the Mini.    The difference in weight is the important factor in situations where you're not resting the iPad on anything.  

In the case of the iPhone, weight is not a factor and the tiny differences in screen sizes are not going to change the experience much.    Therefore, I don't think that we're going to see new models in different sizes. 

• Reply 16 of 174
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

4" is big enough to me.  But I can see Cook experimenting.  I think to many people Apple has lost it's luster, so they'll probably try a few things like this to come back.  This along with a redesigned OS.

Just my .02, but for me, I like the iPhone 5 size and OS just fine.

• Reply 17 of 174
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I disagree that the iPad mini is useless.    Try holding the regular iPad on a subway or the equivalent and compare it to the Mini.    The difference in weight is the important factor in situations where you're not resting the iPad on anything.  

In the case of the iPhone, weight is not a factor and the tiny differences in screen sizes are not going to change the experience much.    Therefore, I don't think that we're going to see new models in different sizes. 

I'd agree on the weight of the iPad but if they redesign the iPad as rumored, and it becomes styled like the iPad mini and not as hefty, I see no reason for an iPad mini.  Personally, anyway.  

• Reply 18 of 174
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I really don't care about colors since I use a case, but making a larger sized display could really help sales. I would love an iPhone of at least 4.8". The small display of the current iPhone is my number one complaint. I am due for an upgrade this summer and if this rumor gains steam I will definitely wait and see what Apple comes out with. If it is just another narrow and long 4" screen then I will in all likelihood buy an Android phone next time around. Having two versions available would make both camps happy as well. Apple has to be aware that the biggest draw to Android phones are those big beautiful displays, so why not offer one less reason to get an Android by offering that on an iPhone?
  • Reply 19 of 174
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ugh.
  • Reply 20 of 174
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,255member
    A few thoughts:

1. A bigger iPhone screen isn't as crazy as some people think. The iPad line already has two different UI point densities -- the iPad mini is the same as the iPhone while the iPad has a lower density. A bigger iPhone could follow that model -- the same number of UI points, but a bigger screen, so lower density. This is not as unthinkable as retina-purists might imagine.

2. "complicating the supply chain" is also not as big a deal as people think. The point of having a small number of product models is to benefit from economies of scale (spreading a fixed cost across a large number of units -- supply chain complexity is one of those fixed costs). But Apple is operating at a far greater scale now than it was in 2007 when the iPhone came out. Apple definitely has room here to add more iPhone models while still maintaining a large scale advantage over all competitors. Certainly Apple wouldn't want to go nuts (like Samsung), but adding color options and having three screen sizes is totally feasible while still retaining big scale advantages.

3. There may be a lot of people who really do want a bigger screen with a lower point density. Who are these people? People who are getting older and can't see small text as well anymore (and these people can't appreciate the advantage of "true" retina displays, anyway)