Apple declared top tech pick for 2013, investors advised to be 'selective' in tech

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
A new year could mean a fresh start for Apple's stock, which took a 25 percent hit to close out 2012 but is predicted by one analyst to rebound strongly while uncertainty surrounds the rest of the tech market.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said in a note to investors on Wednesday that Apple is his top overall pick for 2013. He believes the losses AAPL saw in late 2012 were largely tax related, and not a reflection of how most investors feel about the company's future.

"We believe there is still plenty to look forward to at Apple, including the potential for greater choices (i.e., colors, sizes) around the next iPhone in 2013, combined with accelerating momentum with the iPad mini and continued strength with the iPad franchise at large," White said.

Topeka

While he's bullish on Apple at the start of 2013, White is "skeptical" of the tech industry at large, and advises investors to "remain selective." Topeka covered a total of 20 tech companies in 2012 that collectively grew 9 percent, behind the 13 percent increase seen by the S&P 500 Index.

"For 2013, we are taking a similar approach to our tech universe, avoiding the more cyclical tech names for the most part and focusing on companies best positioned to benefit from key secular tech trends that we believe are in place this year," he said.

His concerns for the technology industry in 2013 include "challenging" trends in Europe, continued limited government spending, and "muted economic growth expectations" in the U.S.

Topeka

Potential high points for the industry this year are centered on the mobile Internet, particularly in China. White views the Chinese market as especially important for Apple, as he noted last week that China has shown "insatiable demand" for the newly launched iPad mini.

White also anticipates a deal with China Mobile, the largest carrier in the world, as a potential catalyst for Apple in 2013, though not guaranteed. He also expects Apple to release a full-fledged television set, and said it's likely that at least one of those catalysts will become a reality this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The damn stock already got its target price cut this morning from $700 to $690 due to weak iPhone sales which basically took the steam out of Apple's share climb. Stop trying to pump this stock up when Wall Street is going to keep knocking it down. As a shareholder, I get annoyed with all the nonsense surrounding this stock. It's doing OK, but that's about it. The analysts are constantly revising their numbers every few weeks which means they don't know very much about what's going on at Apple. All they're doing is reacting to rumors or whatever.
  • Reply 2 of 10

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The damn stock already got its target price cut this morning from $700 to $690 due to weak iPhone sales…

But we don't even know that.

• Reply 3 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The "Apple's stock, which took a 25 percent hit to close out 2012" isn't exactly correct. That statement makes it look as though Apple went down for the year, when actually, it went up 31.4%.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The damn stock already got its target price cut this morning from $700 to $690 due to weak iPhone sales which basically took the steam out of Apple's share climb. Stop trying to pump this stock up when Wall Street is going to keep knocking it down. As a shareholder, I get annoyed with all the nonsense surrounding this stock. It's doing OK, but that's about it. The analysts are constantly revising their numbers every few weeks which means they don't know very much about what's going on at Apple. All they're doing is reacting to rumors or whatever.

The average price is at $740. If you are a stockholder, you would realize that Apple is doing much better than "ok". It rose more than twice the 13.4% of the S&P 500. Even better than it did in 2011, which was pretty damn good.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    You be
    melgross wrote: »
    The "Apple's stock, which took a 25 percent hit to close out 2012" isn't exactly correct. That statement makes it look as though Apple went down for the year, when actually, it went up 31.4%.

Exactly!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Reality is going to show itself in the next days and weeks. 2012 is over, and the whole basis for the slide was profit taking before any increases to capital gains taxes. By the time the next quarterly results are shared (which, by any reasonable guess are going to be stellar) it will be back in the 700+ range. It's even low at that price.

• Reply 7 of 10
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Don't get your hopes up. There's still another "fiscal cliff" coming up in what, late February?
    We might still see some profit taking if there's a bump, and investors might wait and see
    before buying.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Don't get your hopes up. There's still another "fiscal cliff" coming up in what, late February?

We might still see some profit taking if there's a bump, and investors might wait and see

before buying.

I predict Americans will soon become sick of the incessant news coverage of political "calamities", and journalists will have to manufacture increasingly scary-sounding catastrophes. Next up we'll probably have the "budget civil war" followed by the "debt holocaust"

• Reply 9 of 10
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I predict Americans will soon become sick of the incessant news coverage of political "calamities", and journalists will have to manufacture increasingly scary-sounding catastrophes. Next up we'll probably have the "budget civil war" followed by the "debt holocaust"

So you're predicting a continuation of the past, into the future ;)  Brave ;)

• Reply 10 of 10

I've got my money on Lenovo and ZTE this year.  Not that I think they'll overtake Apple, just that I think their stocks have more potential for gains.