Apple's 2013 Macs rumored to include 802.11ac 'Gigabit Wi-Fi'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nht wrote: »
    If you need an iMac I'd buy one since they were just refreshed.  In a year you can get something like this if you really want it:

http://www.everythingusb.com/netgear-a6200-802.11ac-wifi-usb-adapter-21586.html

Honestly, it probably won't matter that much to you unless you regularly connect to a NAS via WiFi.

I could do that but I probably wouldn't buy an external card. 802.11n at 450Mbps will be plenty. My main reason for potentially waiting would be if there are rumours of an iMac refresh and I have to yet to purchase mine. I'm waiting until the ship times are under 10 days or the Apple Store has the one I want. I don't care about the CPU or GPU but I do want the 3TB Fusion drive and 8GB RAM (buying 32GB from Newegg for for 32GB). If I recall correctly Apple usually upgrades their iMac after a case redesign about 7 months later.

PS: I have been running my 2010 13" MBP at 100% about about 10 days now using iVI to convert videos and add them to iTunes. Last night I noticed my roommate watching an HD movie on the Apple TV via my iTunes library while I was watching a different HD movie. It never missed a beat.

edit: Time between iMac redesign and it's first update:
    • CRT iMacs — May 1998 to January 1999 — 8 months
    • Swivelhead iMacs — January 2002 to July 2002 — 6 months
    • White iMacs — August 2004 to May 2005 — 9 months
    • Aluminum iMacs — August 2007 to April 2009 — 8 months
    • Edge-to-Edge Glass iMacs — October 2009 to July 2010 — 8 months
  • Reply 22 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

And as usual, the actual speeds will not even be in the same universe as the theoretical maximums. I have a 2012 MBA with USB 3.0 ports, just bought a USB 3.0 HDD, and although it's supposed to be multiple times faster, transfer speeds are pretty much identical to USB 2.0. I tried all 3 filesystems (OSX JOurnaled, NTFS, FAT32) and speeds were always dismal. What the hell is the point of this new tech if in practical use, even when everything is set up right, its barely better if it all? Same thing with my NAS. I have a pure N network, full wifi reception, yet wireless transfer speeds are shit, often less than my download speeds. 

• Reply 23 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KootenayRedneck View Post

What would be nice to see if Apple incorporated a firewall into the router.

The Airport Extreme has a firewall.  Kinda basic but does what it's supposed to do.  You just can't tweak it.

• Reply 24 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: Time between iMac redesign and it's first update:

• CRT iMacs — May 1998 to January 1999 — 8 months

• Swivelhead iMacs — January 2002 to July 2002 — 6 months

• White iMacs — August 2004 to May 2005 — 9 months

• Aluminum iMacs — August 2007 to April 2009 — 8 months

• Edge-to-Edge Glass iMacs — October 2009 to July 2010 — 8 months

I would guess the Haswell iMacs would be around Q2 2013.  I think Haswell will be a far bigger bump for the Mini, MBA and 13" MBP than it will be for the iMac or 15" MBPs so really you're probably putting off a refresh for not that much gain.

But if you don't need a refresh then waiting is reasonable anyway.

• Reply 25 of 59
    nht wrote: »
    I would guess the Haswell iMacs would be around Q2 2013.  I think Haswell will be a far bigger bump for the Mini, MBA and 13" MBP than it will be for the iMac or 15" MBPs so really you're probably putting off a refresh for not that much gain.

But if you don't need a refresh then waiting is reasonable anyway.

I do need a new Mac I just hate buying and then waiting. I guess I really have to choice as the same situation will happen again with the next iMacs, I assume. Or maybe not as bad because they have the case design production worked out and it's less "new" looking. If I feel I get past that 50% mark I'll just wait. It's why I had the iPhone 4 for 2.25 years.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    slurpy wrote: »
    And as usual, the actual speeds will not even be in the same universe as the theoretical maximums. I have a 2012 MBA with USB 3.0 ports, just bought a USB 3.0 HDD, and although it's supposed to be multiple times faster, transfer speeds are pretty much identical to USB 2.0. I tried all 3 filesystems (OSX JOurnaled, NTFS, FAT32) and speeds were always dismal. What the hell is the point of this new tech if in practical use, even when everything is set up right, its barely better if it all? Same thing with my NAS. I have a pure N network, full wifi reception, yet wireless transfer speeds are shit, often less than my download speeds. 

I don't have any USB 3.0 devices (or ports), so I can't comment on the speed of that interface... But, I do have a maxed out 2011 iMac 27 with Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt attaches to 2 12 TB Pegasus RAIDS and a 23" Cinema Display (thru an adapter).

Thunderbolt speed meets al my expectations -- and then some. File access/transfer is faster to the RAIDs than to the internal SSD on the iMac.
  • Reply 27 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

I'm hoping Apple really beefs up their routers. Even a small family can have dozen or more devices connected. The nature of WiFi is that only device can send or receive at at a time. It's much like Token Ring in that sense except in a star topology. These consumer routers are simply being bogged down with an increasing number of WiFi devices.  I think it would be great if they switch to a more modern ARM design, Perhaps their custom ARM chips and iOS would work. The current AirPort and Time Capsule devices are still using ARMv5 chips. Note Apple's iDevices use ARMv7 and the original iPhone started off with ARMv6. I'd think that performance to power consumption could be radically increased with a more modern chip but I'm sure there is a reason for using such old tech that I haven't considered. I'd also expect an upgrade to USB 3.0 and would hope that SATA III (TC only), and 10Gb Ethernet would finally show up but I doubt it.

This tells me you know nothing about Token Ring or Ethernet.  Ethernet uses a Collision detection system, meaning it's a "party line" and any node can talk at the same time, hence the "collision".  There are methods in the standard to deal with multiple nodes trying to communicate all at once, but it is true that the more busy nodes on an Ethernet network brings down the throughput for everyone.  This problem was completely solved in the wired Ethernet world with the invention of the Ethernet switch 20 years ago.  Token Ring uses a collision avoidance system, in that their is only a single data token on any given local area network.  That token is always going around the ring of nodes delivering data and picking data up.  So their aren't any possible collisions...you just have to wait for the token to come your way, much like the mailman.  The problem is that this gets pretty inefficient as faster networks are needed.  In many ways, the Ethernet switch combines the best of both worlds...fast throughput and lack of collisions.  As far as whether it uses ARM v5 versus v7, does it really matter?  As long as the processor family handles the job being thrown at it, you don't always need the latest sexy chip in the embedded world.  Also, the OS for Airports and Time Capsules is not made by Apple (surprise surprise) and it may not even have binaries compiled to v7.  If you want another practical application of the OS in an Airport, talk to the Curiosity Rover on Mars.  USB 3.0 and SATA III are nice, I agree.  10g Ethernet is still not cheap/practical enough for home networks.

Quote:

I have lost all hope in a multi-drive home server with SW for centralized media support from Apple.

I wanted this too until I realized that Apple was really going for the cloud play instead of locally stored user data.  Anyone who wants a home server will have to "roll their own".

• Reply 28 of 59
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    This tells me you know nothing about Token Ring or Ethernet. Ethernet uses a Collision detection system, meaning it's a "party line" and any node can talk at the same time, hence the "collision".

Did you read what I wrote?
  • Reply 29 of 59
    solipsismx wrote: »
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    This tells me you know nothing about Token Ring or Ethernet. Ethernet uses a Collision detection system, meaning it's a "party line" and any node can talk at the same time, hence the "collision".

I haven't been in the bowels on LANS since the late 1980's... But at that time, if I recall correctly, Ethernet was beginning to us a CSMACDCA... The last 4 characters stand for Collision Detect Collision Avoidance.

Simply put a node wishing access, first listened for traffic (collision avoidance).

If no traffic, a transmission sequence was started.

If a collision occurred (collision detection) a signal was sent to tell everyone to back off.

Then each node would delay a different amount time (based on node address) before restarting its transmission sequence.

It resulted in pretty high thruput for small packets and large, active networks.

BTW, AppleTalk took CA to a ridiculous extreme... Where requests and packet headers far exceeded actual packet data.

I haven't looked at the innards of Airport Express... But I suspect it approximates a star technology with simple error detect and retransmission of rejected packets... Maybe just drop packets for streaming AV.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    I haven't been in the bowels on LANS since the late 1980's... But at that time, if I recall correctly, Ethernet was beginning to us a CSMACDCA... The last 4 characters stand for Collision Detect Collision Avoidance.
    Simply put a node wishing access, first listened for traffic (collision avoidance).
    If no traffic, a transmission sequence was started.
    If a collision occurred (collision detection) a signal was sent to tell everyone to back off.
    Then each node would delay a different amount time (based on node address) before restarting its transmission sequence.
    It resulted in pretty high thruput for small packets and large, active networks.

That's how it works. It's pretty simple in concept even though the specifics of the various protocols are quite complex. However, his comment is saying I know nothing of Token Ring or Ethernet. I only mentioned Ethernet at the end in regards to 10GigE with no mention of CD or CA.. My comparison to Token Ring was WiFi, not Ethernet. A Wifi antenna can only be sending or receiving (talking or listening) which means it's design is CA, not CD, hence my comparison in that regard to Token Ring and my utter confusion to his inclusion of Ethernet.

• Reply 31 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Apparently he didn't!
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Oh boy 802.11 a has entered IOS yet this year we expect 802.11 ac in macs and routers, try another way to surprise me.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Oh boy 802.11 a has entered IOS yet this year we expect 802.11 ac in macs and routers, try another way to surprise me.

Huh? :???:
  • Reply 34 of 59
    More frequencies, more antennas.... the desire to irradiate each other and stress the cells in our bodies will never be satiated.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Wow, 11mbps was fast once?! :p
  • Reply 36 of 59

Great, so now all my 802.11n gear is useless... imageimageimage

• Reply 37 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by sweetseater View Post

More frequencies, more antennas.... the desire to irradiate each other and stress the cells in our bodies will never be satiated.

Good thing there's no proof of any of that.

• Reply 38 of 59

Cool, now we can just buy some USB adapters and enjoy 802.11ac on our macs!  Oh wait, Apple wants us to throw our Macs in the landfill and buy new ones to upgrade a single features.  

Thanks Apple.

• Reply 39 of 59
    Huh? :???:
    It is as said
  • Reply 40 of 59
    It is as said

I can't parse it. I have figured out that you mean 802.11a and 802.11ac despite your odd inclusion of an extra space but I can't figure out what you mean by "has entered iOS yet" and the other odd phrasings. So you're saying iOS doesn't have 802.11a? So you're saying that you can't have 802.11ac and have 802.11a at the same time? So you're thinking that 802.11ac is just 802.11a with a 'c' appended? It simply doesn't read like English is your first, second or third language.