Amazon's Kindle Fire gains marketshare at expense of iPad over holidays, research shows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    web browsing only checked as they don't have access to app usage.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A study of web usage over the holidays in North America saw Apple's iPad marketshare fall 7.14 percent, while competing devices from Amazon, Samsung and Google gained a total of 5.5 percent over the same period.

With 86% of the market and other manufacturers releasing any competing product, the only way to go is down so this poll simply backs up this fact.

They may have sold a lower market share percentage wise than previous but likely they increased sales.

• Reply 43 of 81
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Playbook over iPad?

That doesn't make any sense. 

I saw the playbook for $99 at my local Staples. Even at that price I didn't bite. 

• Reply 44 of 81
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

OMG! the sky is falling!! only 78% of the biggest tablet sales total - at premium prices - EVER!!!

well, it could be worse. it could be 0.4%. oh wait - that's the Zune Surface tablet. that's taken. maybe that's the real story here?

AI, really - really - you have to stop hit-whoring with these stupid headlines we see lately.

• Reply 45 of 81
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    And one month later, expect all those kindles to be 2nd-hand gifts, gathering dust in a desk drawer, used as a door stop, or landfill material.

The moment the novelty wears off, most those folks will probably realize that it's a crippled iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Let's see.... 78 percent versus 7 1/2 percent ???

Today AND ALL OF THE NEXT YEAR I don't care and neither should anyone else !!!

Sheer idiocy.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Told y'all so.
  • Reply 48 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Told y'all so.

What have you told us?

• Reply 49 of 81
    What have you told us?

You know, you've been reading all my posts. :)
  • Reply 50 of 81
    These numbers are meaningless: add them up, and almost 7% of hits are unaccounted for. That's only sightly less that all the hits attributed to the "runner up", and barely less than the proportion by which the iPad's share is claimed to have dropped.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    luxaeterna wrote: »
    These numbers are meaningless: add them up, and almost 7% of hits are unaccounted for. That's only sightly less that all the hits attributed to the "runner up", and barely less than the proportion by which the iPad's share is claimed to have dropped.

Excellent PR spin. May I suggest, "The margin of error is 5% so that means actually ~no~ Android tablets were used for web browsing".
  • Reply 52 of 81
    "10 Billion activations a day" -- Andy Andy
  • Reply 53 of 81
    "They've all changed the user agents on their browsers."
  • Reply 54 of 81
    I find this kind of article rather baffling. For a couple of years iPad was the only tablet which was a viable product, so its market share was close to 100%.

Is it actually newsworthy to say that iPad's market share is decreasing in the situation where the market is only just beginning to exist? Arguably there wasn't a tablet market until very recently, just an iPad market.

To say that Kindle Fire won market share at the expense of iPad is a big 'duh' to me. What would be more interesting would be its effect on the growth in market share of the other non-iPad tablets.

Ultimately it would be expected that as the competition release viable tablets (and there is no sustainable competitive advantage through 'specs') that Apple's market share will fall to a proportion similar to that it achieves in the smartphone market, maybe 50% eventually lower than that.

Clearly its an interesting thing to monitor how fast Apple's market share falls, but realistically that isn't surprising.

As the market grows in overall size we'll see an interesting battle for second place. That's where I'd like more stats, how is Amazon faring against Nexus and Samsung... thats more fascinating to me.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Sorry, but...

Duh!!!

Of course this is going to happen over the holiday week. Everyone got shiny new presents that they're playing with. This time next month those stats will revert back to what they were before the holidays.

• Reply 56 of 81
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Sorry, but...

[SIZE=20px]Duh!!![/SIZE]

Of course this is going to happen over the holiday week. Everyone got shiny new presents that they're playing with. This time next month those stats will revert back to what they were before the holidays.

Then... in a couple weeks Apple will tell us that they sold tens of millions of iPads this past quarter... while we're still guessing how many Kindles Amazon sold.

"Kindle Fire gains market share over iPad" will be a shortlived celebration.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This bad news is pushing the shares up, bring it on!
  • Reply 58 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Told y'all so.

Uh huh. Apple has 78% market share - with the largest competitors being the low end cheap segment where Apple doesn't compete. So Apple probably has 90% of the premium tablet sales (the segment where they compete).

And Android is winning. :\

Yep, you sure told us. /s
  • Reply 59 of 81
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Then... in a couple weeks Apple will tell us that they sold tens of millions of iPads this past quarter... while we're still guessing how many Kindles Amazon sold.

"Kindle Fire gains market share over iPad" will be a shortlived celebration.

You really think so? I think there will be a low-end tablet market - there's a large group of people for whom even $329 is more than they can afford for a tablet. I don't doubt Apple's ability to do well for years to come in the premium sector, and now mid-sector with the mini. 

Obviously the data is of very limited use. The interesting points for me were the lack of penetration of the Surface despite very heavy advertising.

And the data shows that in the non iOS segment Kindle Fire is doing well against Google Nexus & Samsung Galaxy pad. It confirms the anecdotal evidence I get in the UK that among those who are buying budget tablets, Amazon is the favoured brand. Presumably this is because of Amazon's good reputation as a internet mail-order reseller, and good experience with Kindles as a single purpose eReader.

• Reply 60 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Not internet traffic. It's based on the number of ad views.

Basically it's a report intended to woo potential iPad advertisers to use their ad network.

Aye - "A study of web usage" - so people, quickly, how many of you iPad users actually see or click on any of those ads on webpages?  I don't due to I use a different browser that blocks all those ads, I never see them.  And most times I change what I am reporting as, as well.  Not showing my browser type as Safari Mobile all the time.  I see more ad's in apps then on webpages.

My questioning would be, on all those Fire's, what was the normal Kindle's numbers for the month beforehand???  I knew a few people still using the old Kindle(s) and was going to upgrade this year after the holiday's if Santa did not bring them one of the new Fire's.   Or even better yet, the main question is what the numbers looked like for the first two weeks compared to the last two. Also, what websites are you reporting from?  Cause I know I have a certain set of bookmarks I go to, and most of them are not mainstream style ones like Yahoo.com or anything.  Most of my news and stuff comes from apps.  There are day's I don't even go on web, I use my apps, read my books, etc.

Bottom line - who bloody cares about these numbers, just grab other numbers and throw them into a chart.  Web useage/ads is a very bad indicator for marketshares why, because unless every person with every device goes to certain webpages each day, your numbers are wrong.  It's like trying to prove who has more ticket sales for airlines, without actually looking at the sales, but looking and counting people at the gates.