Apple's share of US mobile phone market grows to 18.5%

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new survey of U.S. mobile subscribers has found that Apple's iPhone continues to take a larger share of the overall market, up 1.4 percentage points to 18.5 percent.

comScore

Apple's growth in the three-month span ending in November gave it the largest point change of all handset makers. Apple's growth was enough to put it ahead of LG, which fell from 18.2 percent of the mobile market in August to 17.5 percent in November, good for third place.

Apple's's chief rival, Samsung, saw its share of active U.S. users rise 1.2 percentage points, growing its market leading share to 26.9 percent. The data includes owners of both smartphones and "feature" phones.

With Samsung in first, Apple in second, and LG third, Google-owned Motorola took fourth in the survey, accounting for 10.4 percent of users. Motorola's share slid 0.8 percentage points between August and November.

Finally, HTC was the fifth most popular handset maker among mobile subscribers, with a 5.9 percent share, down 0.4 percentage points from August.

In terms of smartphone platforms, Google extended its lead by 1.1 percentage points, as Android accounted for 53.7 percent of all active smartphone users in the U.S.

Apple also grew its share but couldn't keep pace with Google: iOS accounted for 35 percent of the market, up 0.7 percentage points from August.

Google and Apple continue to dominate the smartphone market and push out competitors, as RIM, Microsoft and Nokia's Symbian all saw their market share slide in November. Together, RIM and Microsoft make up just over 10 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, while Symbian has just a half-percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Although its great that Apple had some growth. I still believe there is room for Apple to diversify the iPhone lineup and capture even more market share from Google.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Apple is Doomed™

• Reply 3 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The data includes owners of both smartphones and "feature" phones.

Important point. 

• Reply 4 of 54

I wonder what Samsung's Smart phone percentage is. Curious to see if they have more smartphones in people's pockets then apple does. 

• Reply 5 of 54
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Apple is gonna continue to increase as HTC gets bought out.

• Reply 6 of 54
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I wonder what Samsung's Smart phone percentage is. Curious to see if they have more smartphones in people's pockets then apple does. 

Your proposed survey needs to be broken down further by pocket size.
  • Reply 7 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

it would not surprise me. samsung android phones are significantly cheaper than apple's. they can be found for under $100 off contract when the iPhone 4 sells for $450.

• Reply 8 of 54
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 9 of 54

iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone sales

As for total installed base... I have no idea.

But iPhones are pretty darn popular in the US.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    "Together, RIM and Microsoft make up just over 10 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, while Symbian has just a half-percent. "

Not sure why you're comparing companies with an OS here.
  • Reply 11 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Important point. 

"In terms of smartphone platforms, Google extended its lead by 1.1 percentage points, as Android accounted for 53.7 percent of all active smartphone users in the U.S"

Important point.

• Reply 12 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    With their 5 year old goal (yes, 5 year) of 1% global market share this US share certainly is, not too shabby.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    it would not surprise me. samsung android phones are significantly cheaper than apple's. they can be found for under $100 off contract when the iPhone 4 sells for $450.

If we're talking about the US market... how many people buy phones off-contract?

As for on-contract... the more expensive current iPhone handily outsells the cheaper, older versions. I once saw an estimate that 89% of iPhones sold were the $200+ on-contract phone... not many people are interested in the the $100 iPhone or "free" iPhone.

Same for the iPad. The $500+ iPad handily outsold the cheaper iPad 2 (but now the iPad mini will be interesting to watch)

I guess the takeaway is this... if you're talking about Apple products in the US... the more expensive models tend to go home with a lot more people.

But if you're more interested in Android products... are the cheaper Android phones the top sellers?

BTW... which Android phone can you get for $100 off-contract?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Nokia? (Crickets)
  • Reply 15 of 54
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 16 of 54
    realwarder wrote: »
    "Together, RIM and Microsoft make up just over 10 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, while Symbian has just a half-percent. "
    Not sure why you're comparing companies with an OS here.
    Tech click bait articles demand dressing up every story as a rivalry. Whatever language or concepts serves this purpose are mixed into the word salad for maximum effect.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Although its great that Apple had some growth. I still believe there is room for Apple to diversify the iPhone lineup and capture even more market share from Google.

Samsung is going to invest heavily in Tizen and/or Bada, which will start to make Google less of a factor in the debate.

The next question is if Samsung drops to 40-50% Android phones, what happens to Android?
  • Reply 18 of 54
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Android is doomed.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    BTW... which Android phone can you get for $100 off-contract?

Wal-Mart's site lists 5 under $100. Two of them even being under $80.

Amazon has 24 just by looking at Android at the listed title. They start at below $42.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Wal-Mart's site lists 5 under $100. Two of them even being under $80.

Oh ok... those cheap pre-paid Android phones. Essentially the "burners" of this generation.

Doesn't this fall under the category of "you get what you pay for" ?

Wouldn't a $299 Nexus 4 be a much better phone?