Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 217
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I remember going to exactly one movie back in the 70s (or was it the early 80s?) where they handed out scratch and sniff cards to be used along with the movie. Funny thing... I can't even remember what that movie was now.

Scratch cards - that's a realistic and practical way to do smells. Except for the distraction of course.

• Reply 182 of 217
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimothy View Post

Despite the hype, it's actually not a new shape. It's still rectangular. But, there is something innovative about it: It's an 80" TV. But it's also a tablet. And a phone. It's the new Samsung Galaxy S OMG phablevision. The next really freakin' big thing is almost here.

I heard it's going to be shaped like a horse.

• Reply 183 of 217
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would also have to exude smell at appropriate times, from cartridges inserted into the bottom of the panel. 

Televisions could adopt the inkjet printer model: the device itself would be completely free, but the constituent smell cartridges (all seven) would be $100 apiece and contain enough smell for a few days' programming only.

These could also be said to cover taste, and all that would remain is specialized viewing chairs, manipulating static electricity to manage touch.

Gives new meaning to the word "Sensurround"!

Funny you should mention it - Samsung has a patent on that "smell" technology for home TVs:

Smell-O-Vision Wafts Closer With New Research Project | TechHive

Also look up the Wikipedia entry for "smell-o-vision" for movie theatres - it's an interesting history that includes it's competitor "AromaRama", and the John Waters "Odorama" scatch and sniff cards. 

Smell-O-Vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Reply 184 of 217
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

The english translation of "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS." is "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS."

So the problem isn't with the language, but with the "logic" in the "message"?

• Reply 185 of 217
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    WITH ADDED FRIDGE FREEZER
  • Reply 186 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Samsung are a bit more than that. They are huge (biggest company in South Korea I believe) and they make pretty decent stuff. My fridge, microwave and PC monitor are all Sammy and never had any problems with them.

I think the reason they copied the iPad was some kind of cultural difference which meant they didn't see anything wrong with it, but now that they have been successfully sued, I'm sure if they try to innovate they will be successful.

Actually, even there, Samsung simply made LG knockoffs (which made Japanese knockoffs).

Samsung has a long and storied tradition of copying. Phones are only the latest category in which they bring their unique replication talents.

• Reply 187 of 217
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    The fact is that the vast majority of the most popular feature films in the last ten years were shot 2.4:1.    (I used to argue as you did, but someone challenged me on this and I did the research and I realized they were correct:  In 2001, 56% of the top 100 films were 2.35:1.  In 2011, 68% of the top 100 films were 2.35:1.)    

The reason why we got stuck with 16:9 is because it was the most common shape between 4:3 SD television and 2.35:1.   It was determined by a SMPTE committee, but the Director's Guild was opposed to it--they wanted a compromise of 2.0:1.  The reason why it didn't happen was because these decisions were made when sets were still CRT and it was extremely difficult and expensive to build a CRT scanning gun that would maintain focus at the edges of a wide screen.      Had digital/HDTV come after the development of the plasma and LED technology, we probably would have had sets at somewhere between 2.0 and 2.4:1.

Whether 2.4:1 is the better shape is determined by whether one does more television watching or feature film watching.   If it's feature films, 2.4:1 AR makes more sense.   If it's TV, 16:9 makes more sense because the TV industry is not going to go through another major capital investment process, as they had to for digital TV to change the AR again.

That is more than I thought, but I didn't say they weren't common, I said "not all". The majority isn't as strong as it would justify going with superwide. With those numbers, you'd have to almost exclusively watch movies to make the super wide aspect ratio worth it, especially given the significant additional cost at the moment to get a stupid-wide TV. Watch any TV, especially any classic TV, then the equation looks dumb to very dumb.
  • Reply 188 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

WHat benefit does a see-through TV offer?

When TV's get bigger and bigger, it's good to be able to see, whether somebody is hiding behind the screen.

And then there are all the people who are afraid of the dark. - With see through monitors, black will never be able to get so frighteningly dark again. image

• Reply 189 of 217
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member

I think they will have just copied a Loewe Beovision:

• Reply 190 of 217
    All this hype to be ripped apart in the comments here. I wish someone from Samsung's top rung sees all these comments ;)
  • Reply 191 of 217
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    jpadhiyar wrote: »
    All this hype to be ripped apart in the comments here. I wish someone from Samsung's top rung sees all these comments ;)

Given that they are now announcing an evolution (not revolution) kit to upgrade old 2012 TVs:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/samsung-evolution-kit-ces2013/

it seems like Samsung realises people won't just throw out a TV after 1 year for the new model and so use an external box (like Apple).

It looks like the new one in the video has gotten rid of that bump/webcam on the top but the main display should overall look like what you see on the left.
  • Reply 192 of 217
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    I didn't see a device that was "taller than it was wide". I saw a regular orientation TV sitting on top of a wide pedestal and a long sheet covering the whole thing.
  • Reply 193 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Given that they are now announcing an evolution (not revolution) kit to upgrade old 2012 TVs:
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/samsung-evolution-kit-ces2013/
    it seems like Samsung realises people won't just throw out a TV after 1 year for the new model and so use an external box (like Apple).
    It looks like the new one in the video has gotten rid of that bump/webcam on the top but the main display should overall look like what you see on the left.

This could be one way Apple can sell a TV and sell a modula that can be updated every year or two.
    By simply attaching the Evolution Kit device into the back of a Samsung Smart TV, consumers can enjoy the latest features that the 2013 Smart TVs have to offer.

With hardware enhancements, such as CPU, memory and GPU up to the level of the latest Smart TV, users can enjoy faster speeds for browsing the Internet and multitask by using apps while watching TV.

I seem to recall HP selling such a product a decade ago in their MediaSmart(?) line which I don't think ever really caught on.
  • Reply 194 of 217
    Introducing the Samsung 65" Galaxy Thunderbolt Incredible G2 XT 3D Evo Ultra HD series TV with Beats by Dre
  • Reply 195 of 217
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

jungmark View Post

the lower portion is for ads 24/7 regardless if you are watching anything on the TV. It's genius, i tell you!

Yet another Idiocracy prophecy... I could see Google pitching something like this as well, with an ad-supported hardware discount to attract more Walmart denizens. For a $100 subsidy, serve ads to consumers for the next 5-15 years (average tv upgrade time).

dasanman69 View Post

The iPod worked because people already had large CD libraries they could rip into iTunes and many were stealing music. That gave Apple time to get deals with the music industry. No such luxury with a television.

The AppleTV is their foot in the door, since it has Airplay streaming and other content streams. It could make a nice segue toward having everything built into the tv. If that's their next step.

Mike Conners View Post

"Samsung, one of Apple's chief rivals"... This statement makes no sense as Apple does NOT make TVs. Samsung makes many, many, many other consumer electronic devices other than cell phones, tablets, and laptops.

Adding "Apple" to any tech article grants an immediate 15% traffic increase, and a bonus to fire elemental commenters.

caldog View Post

Introducing the Samsung 65" Galaxy Thunderbolt Incredible G2 XT 3D Evo Ultra HD series TV with Beats by Dre

++

• Reply 196 of 217

New Sig.

• Reply 197 of 217
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    vorsos wrote: »

The AppleTV is their foot in the door, since it has Airplay streaming and other content streams. It could make a nice segue toward having everything built into the tv. If that's their next step.

Yes but people are streaming from competing services. Can Apple out-Netflix Netflix and out-Hulu Hulu Plus?
  • Reply 198 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

New Sig.

And you're also paying close attention to your urine output. image

• Reply 199 of 217
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Slow news day. The article has nothing to do with Apple.

Although I agree, it seems lots of people here are very interested in Samsung products (current and upcoming).

• Reply 200 of 217
    new Samsung TV will have new shape. Couch Potato shape.