CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Big-screen "phablet" devices, positioned between a smartphone and a tablet, are predicted to be a big trend at this year's Consumer Electronics Show.

With Huawei expected to unveil the Ascend Mate with a 6.1-inch screen, and 5-inch phones anticipated from LG and ZTE, Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets expects CES 2013 to showcase a number of "embarrassingly large" smartphones.

Though he finds smartphones with screen sizes of 5 inches and larger "awkward to hold," he found in his recent trips to China and Hong Kong that there has been a trend in the market toward "ultra-large smartphones at the high end of the market," such as with Samsung's recently released Galaxy Note II.

If the market is truly headed in that direction, White believes that even Apple may not be immune to this trend. Earlier this week, he predicted that Apple will expand the iPhone lineup this year with new colors, beyond the current black and white options, as well as multiple screen sizes.

Galaxy Note II

"We believe Apple will offer customers more screen sizes with the next iPhone and a display as large as 5 inches is not out of the question, in our view," White reiterated in his latest note to investors on Friday.

He also expects major TV makers will continue to evolve the platform, such as Samsung, which is hyping a new HDTV model with an "unprecedented new shape." But he believes that Apple is the only company on the market right now that could truly reinvent the television experience.

"We still believe the 'elephant in the room' at CES will be Apple TV that we believe will totally reinvent the TV experience," he said. "Apple's ability to develop hardware and software together, combined with a relentless, detailed focus on aesthetics and a robust ecosystem will make the company difficult to beat in the coming years."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 213

I just can't see Apple making a phone larger than 4.2-4.3 inches.

So far Apple has not bothered with scraps.

• Reply 2 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

If those big-screen devices are truly "embarrassingly large" then it won't be something Apple offers, nor will they be market successes for others. 

• Reply 3 of 213
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

So in other words, nothing much to see at CES.

• Reply 4 of 213
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    when the number one is still the iphone, they don't need to make a "phablet". first an foremost, a cell phone needs to function as a phone.

has anyone check this guys previous forcasts? Did he also call for Apple to enter the "lucrative" netbook market or the cheap crap sub $500 PC market?
  • Reply 5 of 213
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Wow, new colors! A new awkward size! This guy is truly a visionary and Apple should put him in charge of visioneering.
  • Reply 6 of 213
    Guy at work has the Note 2. He upgraded from an iPhone 4. We were comparing it to my iPhone 5, and yes, the Note 2 screen looks great. Then he started loading up common Apps and I was surprised how badly they looked. There was so much white space because the Apps were scaled. They didn't really display any additional information with the larger screen, it was just spread out with unused space between.

Big screens (including tablets like the iPad) are terrible if the software isn't taking advantage of it.
  • Reply 7 of 213
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I don't see a problem with adding phone capability to iPads as an option.
  • Reply 8 of 213
    ipad and ipad mini with integrated iPhones, it's the trend for the everything in one device. just like the original iPhone where adding a music device into a smart phone was revolutionary, now we are seeing the evolutionary result.
  • Reply 9 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't see a problem with adding phone capability to iPads as an option.

That's a different ball of wax all together and not what the article is stating.

... but, yes, I have no problem with that.

• Reply 10 of 213
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

CES 2013

Hot: Driverless cars

Not: Phablets

Phablets: As horrible as their name

• Reply 11 of 213
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Apple might do it. But like with the larger iPhone 5 I think they will wait to see if the trend sticks before jumping in.

Or just support folks doing VoIP for the iPad etc. with that, the iPad mini is your phablet
  • Reply 12 of 213
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chris v wrote: »
    Wow, new colors! A new awkward size! This guy is truly a visionary and Apple should put him in charge of visioneering.

they better hurry. I hear Forstall and Sinofsky are going into biz together and want to grab him. And Browett is running their retail department. Apple is doomed
  • Reply 13 of 213
    dwillydwilly Posts: 60member
    I'm sure Apple will make the right decision
  • Reply 14 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

CES 2013

Hot: Driverless cars

Not: Phablets

Phablets: As horrible as their name

No. Phablets are selling like hotcakes and can be very profitable business. I bet samsung is making a lot of money from each note2 sold.

Obviously, phones like the note sell because they are based on hype and their buyers are stupid or have special needs (huge people, poor vision, etc). As soon as phablets lose fashion status (people are seeing a big screen phone as a more advanced phone, despite the fact that the iPhone as a device is 100 steps ahead on everything), phablets (like the note, etc) sales are going down, because they just can't go "bigger".

However, I can't afford an iphone+ipad. I'm 100% convinced that Apple could make an awesome phablet (A highend class screen, highend class performance, huge battery life, highend ecosystem, something that no phablet is offering right now.) and it would sell like hotcakes, even creating a new device category. I would buy one, and it would be used to it's potential.

On other circumstances, Apple would make one. However stupid people read press, "are" the press, and are flaming Apple even if they do it or even if they don't. I don't forgive them for trying to "force" apple to do something, and flaming them no matter what.

Apple is the only one that is able to make a great phablet, and you can bet a great tablet would quickly become the best selling/more profitable gadget on history. Apple MUST do one.

Look... if I buy a galaxy note instead of an iPhone, what will I get?

- Less speed (java vs cocoa), weak performance especially on GPU (the iphone is at least 2x faster on every test), worse screen (oversaturated pentile crap, less ppi), less build quality, less batery life on demanding tasks, shitty ecosystem that makes the big screen a pain, etc.

You lose a lot and gain nothing unless you have special needs.

But imagine this:

- overclocked a6, overclocked GPU or even ROGUE, big 5inch screen with the same properties or even the new 1080p 440ppi IGZO from sharp, same build quality, 3000mA battery instead of 1050, iOS and its updated apps.

This device is the highway for 1trillion dollars folks, don't let Android stupid decisions and stupid marketing fool yourselves. The iPhoneX could/should even create a third App version for iOS. Every dot is connected. Enterprise, universities and their students, small businesses would "eat" every single iPhoneX that could be made.

• Reply 15 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple might do it. But like with the larger iPhone 5 I think they will wait to see if the trend sticks before jumping in.

Or just support folks doing VoIP for the iPad etc. with that, the iPad mini is your phablet

I am wondering how others would fare if Apple released a phone in the 4.3 inch range that kept the old aspect ratio of 3:2.

An iPhone of that size with Ive's touch just might make a bunch of phablets disappear.

• Reply 16 of 213
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    That settles it; Apple will release a 2.8" iPhone Nano. Zig when others Zag...
  • Reply 17 of 213
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    No. Phablets are selling like hotcakes and can be very profitable business. I bet samsung is making a lot of money from each note2 sold.

Obviously phones like the note sell because they are based on hype and their buyers are stupid or have special needs (huge people, poor vision, etc). As soon as phablets lose fashion status (people are seeing a big screen phone as a more advanced phone, despite the fact that the iPhone as a device is 100 steps ahead on everything), phablets (like the note, etc) sales are going down, because they just can't go "bigger".

However, I can't afford an iphone+ipad. I'm 100% convinced that Apple could make an awesome phablet
    Apple could make a great 5-6" iPad with phone features, priced in the $750 range off-contract that would sell well. But what would it do to iPhone and iPad sales?

The problem right now with the iPhone is advertising. Websites (including this one) place far too much modal information on the screen, limiting useful space for browsing. This is where the Blackberry failed in 2006-- not being able to read enough of an article due to limited (effective) screen real-estate. Now we are back at square one. If websites let their readers focus on content, larger devices would not be required.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years. I'm not willing to carry around a larger device just so people can dump more ads on me though. It is a nuisance.
  • Reply 18 of 213
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    The iPads already have the ability to function as phones (microphones and speakers with 4G) but I can't see someone holding even the small iPad up to their ear. Of course, with change, the way we talk on a phone will change. Many people use Bluetooth headsets/earbuds so the change has already happened. Apple could easily add whatever components it needs to be a fully functioning cell-iPad, that would be easy. The problem is carrying an iPad. My pants don't have big enough pockets to hold the small iPad or any of the already-too-large Android phones. The iPhone5 fits just fine. I don't wear suits, except on rare occasions, so I don't have the large inside coat pocket. Where do people expect to carry these huge phones?
  • Reply 19 of 213
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    This all reminds me of the Woody Allen movie where he cases a bank using a camera hidden in a loaf of bread. You don't want to hold something that big next to your face.

Why "phablets" anyway? You could just as easily call them "Tabones".
  • Reply 20 of 213
    Phablets are selling like hotcakes and can be very profitable business. I bet samsung is making a lot of money from each note2 sold.

And not just phablets. Most Samsung smartphones today (and basically all other decent smartphones) are well over 4"

I love my iPhone.... but Apple only recently got to a 4" 16:9 screen... something the original Galaxy S had in 2010. And Samsung smartphones have grown ever since.

Galaxy S 4.0"
    Galaxy SII 4.3"
    Galaxy SIII 4.8"

How big is too big? I dunno... but I'd like the option to get a larger iPhone. Just a little larger ;)